Lalylala - Halloween Trio Crochet Kit - Review


Continuing my Halloween/spooky-themed posting marathon, our next kit is the Halloween Trio amigurumi crochet kit by Lalylala on Etsy!

I'm kind of surprised this is my first Lalylala kit on this blog as they are one of my favorite amigurumi/crochet artists. I have their book, "Beetles, Bugs and Butterflies" ( I bought mine on Amazon, but you can buy a signed copy from their supplies Etsy, Lalylaland, which is also technically the shop were I bought this kit from. I am sorely tempted to buy a signed copy as well, possibly in German as Lalylala is a German-based artist) and I have an absurd number of their kits.

Many of Lalylala's kits/pattern sets are based on the seasons/holidays, and they are all devastatingly adorable. Each kit comes in a few varieties with different price points; you can purchase kits that are just the materials without the patterns (you can purchase PDF patterns individually at their Lalylala Etsy store), kits that include the materials and PDF patterns, and kits that include the materials, the PDF patterns, and all necessary crochet hooks. This is the standard version kit (so it includes the patterns and materials, but not the crochet hooks) and cost me $33.07. I purchased this kit along with a bunch of items, so shipping and tax works about to be about an additional $5 max, for a total cost of $38.07.

Since Lalylala is based in Germany, shipping does take some time and can be expensive, so it's nice to have the option to be able to buy the PDF patterns if you want to start crocheting immediately. I am more than willing to wait, though, as the kits come packaged in these adorable canvas project bags and they include yarn that is not easy to get in the U.S. (Scheepjes Catona, in this case).


Also because I purchased a lot of kits at once, the stuffing for the kits was packaged separately, so I'm not 100% sure what stuffing packs go with each kit. I'm guessing you get one tube of stuffing per amigurumi in each kit (so 3 in this case), though I didn't need nearly that much (I used 2 tubes total for all three plushies).


The Lalylala Halloween Trio includes Frankenstein's Monster named Frank, a Skull named Diego, and a Zombie named Brian.


There's a standard body shape for all plushies in the seasons/holidays trios, with each character having their own unique additions. Diego has a removable hat and a skull face/mask (it doesn't come off, so I think he's supposed to BE the skull). I did modify the pattern for the skull and hat slightly since I just...don't like how things look when I use slip stitches, even if the samples using them look great. The pattern suggests adding embroidered details to the skull, so I added a creepy nose using a Lazy Daisy stitch.


He looks a little funny without his hat since he has such a big forehead!


Frank also has a big forehead, but this time it's part of his design! Frank is patterned after the traditional green Frankenstein's monster design with a big, rectangular head and neck bolts. The kit includes grey yarn for the bolts, but I substituted some silver yarn I had to make them shiny. I think it's interesting that this is 'standard' look for Frankenstein's monster and what they went with in the original film, as it's not really how he's described in the book. Regardless! Frank is a big-headed cutie!


Last, but not least, is Brian the Zombie. Brian is my favorite of the three, because of the detail of his exposed brain and his little bone-arm. I was worried the brain would be complicated, but it's actually much easier than it looks (it's a lot of single crochets and increases in back loops). I did have to do some tweaking as Brian is actually two different layers, the outside which ends with the white row, and the inside with the brain, and my inside layer wasn't filling out the outside layer. I ended up using a hook for the inside layer that was one size bigger than the hook used for the outside layer, then switching back to the original sized hook once I was past the last row of the outside layer.


After making all three plushies, I had more than enough materials left over, even with my changes, including a completely untouched 10g ball of Brian's body color. I didn't include the left over stuffing I had as, again, I'm not 100% sure how much stuffing would be included if you purchased an individual kit and not a bunch at once like I did. I'm confidant, though, that plenty would be included.

And that's the Halloween Trio amigurumi crochet kit by Lalylala! Again, Lalylala is one of my favorite crochet designers/artists, and I highly, HIGHLY recommend checking out their book, pattern Etsy shop (Lalylala), and their supplies/kit Etsy shop (Lalylaland) if you are interested in their designs/patterns. I honestly have almost all of their patterns, and have purchased almost all of their kits (I don't have their newest, Thanksgiving Day kit and the kits that are for patterns included in their book) because I love their patterns and designs so much.

<3 Thank you for reading!

Comments