Saturday, October 22, 2016

September 2016 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month - Comic Book Girl - Unboxing & Review!

Let's take a look at the September 2016 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month!
Glamour Doll Eyes is an indie cosmetic company that makes a variety of face and eye cosmetics, with a focus on loose shadows. It was one of the first indie companies I was introduced to, and one of the first (if not the first) that I purchased from. While the Of The Month wasn't my first indie subscription (I used to get the Rainbow Honey monthly mystery bags, though I never actually subscribed), it's the one that I've been getting the longest (over two years now!).

The Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month (GDE OTM) is an $8 a month indie cosmetics subscription service. Each month you get the OTM, a special, limited edition loose shadow (it doesn't always stay limited edition; Vee, the owner of GDE will occasionally hold a poll to see what shades her customers want to be made part of the permanent line), along with two additional products, either from GDE or from another indie company. This service does ship internationally, and you do have to pay shipping costs. In the U.S., there's a $3 shipping charge, so it costs $11 in total (everyone pays the $8 base price, plus whatever shipping is).
This service has changed a bit over the last two years, though the main idea, the OTM, has stayed the same. The products usually come in a drawstring bag (we'll occasionally get other packaging like boxes or stockings) and are mailed in a white bubble mailer.
You get a couple GDE business cards to help spread the indie love, and you'll sometimes get business cards from other indie companies if they've included a product.
You also get candy! This month we got bubble gum, which is very fitting for the Pop Art theme.
Speaking of themes, GDE doesn't explicitly state what the theme is anymore; on the older info cards, the next's month themed would be revealed as special sneak peek. In past posts, I said that you kind of had to guess what the theme was, but this time around, I used my brain and realized that I could look them up on the Facebook group. SO! The theme this month is Comic Book Girl (I've been calling it Pop Art, which I suppose isn't too far off).
Even though GDE is an indie company, this subscription is very professionally done, especially in regards to the info cards. The designs change each month to match the theme and they are always visually interesting and well done.
The first product this month is the OTM shadow, Not Enough Boys In This Town.
This shadow is described as a 'pale turquoise with a plethora of aqua, holographic, and white sparkle'.
With loose shadows, you use them dry for a more sheer, subtle wash of color or a layering color for added depth and sparkle, or you can use them wet and/or over a primer to increase the pigmentation. I have Not Enough Boys In This Town swatched dry on bare skin on top and over Nyx's glitter primer on the bottom. Normally, I really like GDE shadows, but this one fell a little short for me. The color is nice, but very, very sheer, even over primer, and I was expecting a lot more sparkle from it.
Next we got a full size loose blush in the color Slap!
Slap! is described as a 'matte bubble gum pink'. One thing I really love about loose products like this is that you can use them for a variety of things and I appreciate that GDE adds whether a product is eye or lip safe on the labels. There are some blushes you can use on your eyes, but unfortunately, this is not one of them (most bright pinks like this use pigments that aren't FDA approved for use in the eye area).
Again, I love all of my other GDE blushes, but I found this one to be disappointing. The matte texture was a little hard to work with; it felt very dry and stiff and it didn't want to blend out evenly. It's hard to see in my swatch, but it emphasized my skin texture and just made it look dry. The color is nice and not something I have a lot of in my collection, but this might have worked better for me if it wasn't completely matte.
Lastly, we got a lip tint from Spectrum Cosmetics called Headed For A Broken Heart.
Headed For A Broken Heart is described as a pink fuchsia shade, and, as this is a tint, it's pretty sheer. It has a very sweet, candy-like smell; it reminds me of how candy necklaces smell/taste.
These sheer tints are great for days when you want a little something on your lips, but aren't looking for the full opacity of a lipstick, though they can build up oddly over time if you tend to reapply a lot. This is a very standard lip tint; nothing super fancy, but I think it will get the job done.

Overall, this wasn't my favorite GDE OTM ever; I really liked the theme and, as always, I thought the products matched it well, but I wasn't really blown away by any of them. The only product I think i'm going to get any real use out of is the lip tint, which is unfortunate. Normally, I'm very happy with my GDE OTM and it is a subscription service that I recommend, especially if you're looking to try something from an indie brand. If you're interested in this service, and GDE in general, definitely check out the Glamour Doll Eyes page on Facebook since that's where you can sign up for the waitlist and get info about past OTMs.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment