Saturday, September 24, 2016

Hum Nutrition - Runway Ready - First Impressions!

I recently did something slightly outside of my comfort zone and I purchased a beauty nutritional supplement from Hum Nutrition.
Besides Flintstone vitamins, pro-biotics, and some fiber gummies, I don't have much experience with nutritional supplements. I tend to be wary of supplements since the FDA doesn't have much control over them in regards to either effectiveness or, and more frighteningly, safety. If I try a new product on my skin and I end up having a bad reaction or if I don't like what it's doing, I can just wash it off and stop using it, but if I ingest a new product and things start to go bad, it's a bit more complicated.

So what made me decide to give these supplements a try? I know it's silly, but it's because Hum Nutrition is carried by Sephora. I feel like I can trust that the brands Sephora chooses to carry are well-known/well-loved and are brands that have a high rate of satisfaction and good customer service.

You can also purchase Hum Nutrition supplements directly from their website and get a good discount, but I chose to purchase from Sephora because I wanted the points, faster shipping, and, again, I just felt safer purchasing from them (it's a mental thing, I'm sure purchasing directly from Hum Nutrition is just as safe, probably even safer). I also wanted to get some free samples...
 I got the standard three free samples, though Sephora had a really nice, almost deluxe sized sample of the Dior lash primer, plus a Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick mini in the color Lolita II.
I've been very interested in trying this color since it's so popular, but I'm not sure how I feel about it now that I have it. It's almost too brown for me, though it looks a lot more mauve in the tube. I haven't tried it on as part of a full look yet, though, so I'm not going to write it off completely yet.

Hum Nutrition carries a wide variety of supplements, but I decided to try the Runway Ready daily packs, which is a combination of the Red Carpet and Killer Nails formulas. It's $35 for a 30 day supply of packs so you're not saving any money (Red Carpet is $25 for 30 days worth, Killer Nails is $10 for 30 days), but the packs are convenient, especially for travel. You take the contents of one pack, two Red Carpet gel capsules and one Killer Nails capsule, with food once a day.
The Red Carpet formula is a combination of GLA, ALA, and vitamin E to help promote healthy skin and hair through increased hydration and support from essential fatty acids. I read that this supplement is similar to Borage oil, which is something I had been interested in trying, but was unsure of due to some negative research that I found. Killer Nails is essentially just a ton of biotin, which is supposed to support strong and healthy hair and nails. I used to take biotin for my nails, but I stopped after I heard from a friend that someone they knew took way too much biotin and ended up with weird growths. I'm leery of how much biotin is in this supplement (5000mcg, which is 1667% of my daily value), but after doing some comparisons between these supplements and other biotin ones, 5000mcg is fairly common, with the max being 10000mcg. Still, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel taking 1000%+ of anything.
Hum Nutrition products are vegetarian and free from a lot allergens and other trendy 'bad' ingredients, and I like how the ingredient list is very minimal.
The packs themselves are labelled with that's inside, along with simplified dosage instructions: take one pack daily with food. These supplements are easy to take; they're not very large and are in gel capsules, but I do notice a bit of an after taste a few hours later (it's not unpleasant, but it is noticeable).

Since this is a supplement, it's going to take a least a month before I see any results, good or bad. I've been taking these for a little over two weeks and I'm not quite sure if I'm noticing anything yet. There are some things that I think are different; my nails seem to have grown faster, my scalp feels itchy, and my skin seems a little oiler, but I don't know if it's because of the supplement, the changes in the weather, or if I'm just imaging things. Barring any serious negative reactions or side effects (none of which I've noticed yet), I'm going to take the whole 30 days for sure to see what happens. If I notice anything positive, I may even consider purchasing another 30 days worth.

I can't give a recommendation either for or against this product; since this is basically an over the counter drug, I urge you to discuss taking it with your doctor before doing so. There are many things that can go awry, especially if you're currently taking any medications, have a medical issue, or are pregnant, and it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor before making any changes to your health routine. This is an extremely personal beauty decision and one that you need to research first in order to make the most educated choice that you can for yourself.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment