Saturday, August 27, 2016

Sephora Favorites Skincare Ritual Kit - Review!

Apparently, it's my goal to collect every single skincare-themed Sephora Favorites kits this year...
That's not true, I've missed a few already, but it sure seems like it, doesn't it? The kit I'm going to share with you in this post is the Sephora Favorites Skincare Rituals kit. This is a Sephora Inside JCP exclusive kit and I believe it is currently available, but I'm not sure. I randomly found this kit on a day it was on sale for around $22, so I thought it was older, but when I tried to look it up when I got home, I couldn't find any information on it (plus, it has a design similar to other kits I've seen released in the last year or so, so it couldn't have been that old). I hadn't seen it again at my local JCP, nor had I heard anything else about it, until Nouveau Cheap made a recent post about new Sephora Inside JCP sets and included this kit.

I know I've touched on this before, but as my color cosmetic collection has increased, the appeal of additional color cosmetics has gone down, particularly in subscription services and value kits. While I still buy them occasionally, I no longer purchase value kits if only one or two of the products interest me (unless the price of the kit is less than the price of the item itself); it takes a lot more for me to think that they're 'worth it'. Skincare kits, however, almost always appeal to me; the only way I would for sure pass on something would be if all the products had argan oil and/or were all cleansers. I am starting to reach critical mass with my skincare products though, so things my change...
But not quite yet! These are all the products included in the Skincare Ritual set. There are ten products, broken down in three different categories: cleansers (which there are three), treatments (three again), and hydrators/moitsurizers (surprise, there are three). You also get a 'bonus' 'protection' product, which is a three-in-one treatment, moisturizer, and sunscreen (guess what it is...). These are fairly good sized deluxe samples; nothing full sized, but nothing super itty bitty, either.
As with all these kits, the back of the box lists all the products, including size/weight, ingredients, and country of origin. Again, as always, I wish Sephora would also include usage instructions as well; not all the products have it printed on and it can be annoying to have to look it up online. Since the back of the box is in alphabetical order, the order I talk about these samples will different than the order you're supposed to use them in.
First up is an Algenist Algae Brightening Mask. This is a traditional mud mask; you slather it on (...Algenist says to use a 'generous amount', which is a way classier way to say that), wait five to ten minutes, then rinse it off. Like all Algenist products, this includes a mixture of algae and Alguronic Acid, along with other skin care ingredients.
I really want to like Boscia as a brand; they make good products and were founded in Japan (I believe it's fully based in the US now), but something about it I find off-putting. It was one of the first brands I experienced when I was starting to get serious about my skin care, which might have something to do with it. In this kit, we got a deluxe sample of the Detoxifying Black Cleanser. This is a warming cleanser that includes charcoal to help deep clean. Personally, I don't really believe the hype behind charcoal cleansers; there's no real proof that charcoal does any kind of 'deep cleaning' when used topically. There are other good ingredients, like glycolic acid, in this cleanser, but again, there's some controversy as to whether or not the ingredients in cleansers are on your skin long enough to much good. I'm still going to give this a try, though!
I'm always down to try a First Aid Beauty product, and I'm especially happy to get a sample of the Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum since I seem to be running low on serums... This serum has the same ingredients found in the other Ultra Repair products, including colloidal oatmeal, feverfew, and licorice root. This sample comes in a tube, but the full size comes in an opaque pump bottle, which is an added bonus.
This next column of products includes a GlamGlow product (most of these kits seem to include one), a Kate Somerville product (which I was excited about trying; Kate Somerville is a great skin care line, but it can be pricey), and a Marula product, which is a newer brand for me.
The GlamGlow product in this kit is the ThirstyMud Hydrating Treatment Mask. I'm glad Sephora sampled a mask that wasn't the YouthMud; I feel like that mask has been sampled to death and it's not my favorite product. It can be really irritating if I'm not careful, though it does make my skin look real nice. This isn't the first time I've gotten this mask as a sample...but I've never tried it out because I've always been worried it would feel like the YouthMud mask.
I'm most familiar with the ExfoliKate products from Kate Somerville, so I'm glad that Sephora included a sample of a different type of product. This is the Goat Milk Moisturizing Cream, a hydrating daily cream that uses goat milk and other milk proteins to provide moisture. Milk has been used as a skin care ingredient for centuries (Cleopatra was even said to bathe in milk) and is excellent at softening skin and calming irritation.
Marula is a brand I'm unfamiliar with, and one that I think is newer to Sephora. I haven't seen it there before, and I don't remember it being included in a Sephora Favorites kit, but I might have missed it because, unfortunately, I can't use anything from this brand: I am allergic to marula oil. This is a Foaming Cleansing Oil, which sounds like it would be right up my alley (I love using oil cleansers as part of my double cleansing routine). I'm kind of confused why Sephora included this product, though, since it's not available on their website. I don't know if they intend to carry this product in the future, or if they recently stopped carrying it, but I always find it weird when they have a product in a sampler kit that you can't purchase the full size of (this happened with some Nude products, but I think the Favorites sets were made before Sephora decided to stop carrying the line).
The 'bonus' product gets a column all to itself! Most of it has to do with the sunscreen part and I think it has to be included due to regulations by the FDA.
Yeah, the 'bonus' product is a sample of the Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield. This is an okay product, especially if you like to streamline your skin care routine since it's a treatment, primer, and sunscreen all in one. I prefer to mix and match products, so I find that it doesn't mesh with my routine very well; I'm also concerned about applying enough product to get the listed amount of sun protection. I've been told by a Murad rep that a little goes a long way, and it does in regards to the treatment and priming aspects, but I'm not sure if it's enough to adequately protect you from the sun.
Last three products!
Like the Murad Invisblur, this is another product that I've gotten a lot of samples of this year. This is the Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation face cream. It's an oil-free cream with an AHA complex to help gently exfoliate for smoother, more even skin. I'm not a big fan of this moisturizer; it has dimethicone, which can irritate my skin, and I don't like the film-like layer it leaves on my skin.
Next is the Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash. This is another oft sampled product, but since this is one of the rare Origin products that I don't mind using, I'm okay having a couple of these sitting around. This is a foaming face wash that's supposed to be especially good for combination skin; it's helps keep oily spots under control, but it also hydrates dry spots. I do find that it errors on the drying side, so if you have more dry patches, or if you just have dry skin, I would recommend looking for a different cleanser.
The last product in this kit is the Peter Thomas Roth Irish Moor Mud Mask. This is another charcoal product that claims to deep clean, but it has other ingredients, like Irish Moor Mud (whether or not it's actually Irish Moor Mud, I don't know, but it does include ingredients like peat and bentonite, which could have come from a moor) and volcanic ash (in the ingredients it says 'lava powder', which sounds way cooler) that make me interested in trying it.

Overall, this kit has ten deluxe sample sized skin care products for $36. It was definitely worth the $22ish I paid for it when it was on sale (that's like $2.20 a product), but I don't know if it's worth the full $36. If you're interested in at least six of these products, then I would say it's worth it since you'd be paying about $6 per usable sample and getting four extra products for free. Remember, if you are interested in picking up this kit, it's only available in a Sephora Inside JCP.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment