Sunday, August 21, 2016

Darling Clandestine - Goldenscale Fragrance Oil - Review!

If you've read some of my posts before, you'll know that I have...unique tastes when it comes to fragrances. I find most mainstream perfumes boring, if not downright malodorous. Okay, that's a little harsh, but what is the beauty world without hyperbole?
Because I am so picky with my fragrances, I prefer to purchase them from indie perfumers. Specifically, from Darling Clandestine! Evonne, the owner/creator, has an amazing sense of smell and creativity and makes some pretty magical concoctions. My most recent acquisition is one of her newer scents, Goldenscale.

Everything about Darling Clandestine is handmade and executed with care.
Every bubble mailer comes stamped with Jason, the rooster, and Devon, the shark, with a hand written conversation. Some of them are funny, some are cryptic, but they're different every time. I have no idea how she comes up with things to write, especially with the amount she sells.
You also get candy! Whether it's free samples or candy, it always makes me happy to get a little extra something with my order.
Goldenscale was originally released as a small batch, exclusively in a teeny size, which sold out quickly. Evonne then released a pre-order for a second batch of little vials, which I immediately purchased, which also sold out fairly quickly. Now, because everyone loves Goldenscale so much, Evonne has added it to her etsy store for pre-order in a bigger 10ml size! Like my other Bitsy vials, Goldenscale came shipped to me wrapped in tissue paper and in a plastic bag.
I have no idea if the included carnival ticket means anything, but it's a cute touch. There's a heart on the back!
There was a little hiccup with one of Darling Clandestine's suppliers, and Evonne ended up with slightly bigger vials for the second round of orders. Instead of making us wait until she got the correct size in, she filled and shipped the bigger vials, but also offered a 20% off coupon to those who purchased the initial round to make up the price difference. I thought this was a fair way to handle the situation, though I will admit I was on the side of getting more product for less money, so I might be biased. Unlike the other fragrance oils I have from Darling Clandestine, this vial has a rollerball applicator and a hand stamped wax detail. I really like how well the rollerball applies the oil, and it makes me feel 'safer' when I'm applying it (I'm always terrified I'm going to spill it everywhere with the other, open vials).

So what does Goldenscale smell like? According to the description on etsy: 'A pure absolute of green cognac grapes, drizzled with caramel, boozed with deep-toasted vanilla, tossed with crushed clove, spritzed with crisp apple juice, and then enweirdened with DarlingClandestine.' But I don't think that really encompasses how amazing this scent is; Evonne said it was inspired by koi in a pond and the sun on their scales, which I think gives a better idea of what Goldenscale really smells like. I live near a conservatory that has a special Japanese garden; it's very peaceful (...when there aren't a lot of people.It can get quite busy at peak times) and beautiful and this fragrance oil smells exactly like that garden. There's sunshine, evergreens, gentle flowers, sparkling water, and this deep sense of peace. It's both calming and uplifting, and I can't stop smelling it when I have it on.

I'm so happy that Evonne is giving us another chance to purchase this fragrance in a larger size, since it gives anyone reading this a chance to buy it for themselves! If it sounds like something that would be your jam, go ahead and give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment