Saturday, August 27, 2016

Anastasia Beverly Hills - Moon Child Glow Kit - Swatches & First Impressions!

I thought I was immune to the highlighter craze; I rarely ever use it in my daily routine and I have a lot of samples so I don't really feel like I need to purchase any. When the Anastasia Beverly Hills (ABH) Moon Child Glow Kit first came out, I basically ignored it; I wasn't interested in highlights to begin with, much less unnaturally colored ones.
But then someone mentioned Sailor Moon, I found out that you can also use it on your eyes and, well, here we are.

This is a beautiful highlight palette and I regret nothing!

Hmm, I am getting a little...out there with my openings. Probably just a phase.
How gorgeous is this packaging? This is a standard, sturdy cardboard palette, but it's holographic! It's the little things like that that make a difference. It also comes in a similarly holographic slip cover, but since the palette itself has the exact same information and magnetic closure, I think it's mostly just so you don't feel like you're getting a 'naked' product, if that makes sense. I'm pretty sure this is an ABH exclusive, but it doesn't say so anywhere in the product description, so I can't confirm that (I'm also pretty sure I heard somewhere that this was eventually going to be available at other retailers, but again, I'm not positive).
The back is just as holographic (this is a picture of the sleeve, but the palette looks exactly the same) and lists all the ingredients and weights of the six different colors.
The inside is unfortunately not holographic, but that would probably detract from the highlighters themselves. There also isn't a mirror in this palette, which I don't  necessarily mind since I probably wouldn't use it, but it does make the palette feel a little...not 'cheap', since it doesn't really feel cheap (the other Glow Kits don't have mirrors, either), but like it's one of those limited edition, special value products that companies make (like the palettes LORAC makes for Nordstrom Rack and Ulta sales). Does that make sense? Probably not.
I'm going go two shades a time, left to right, because that's how I swatched them. In the pan, these colors don't look all that impressive; if I had seen this palette in store and had not seen any swatches of it, I probably would have just walked past. Which would have been a huge mistake and goes to show that you can't judge a shadow by how it looks in the pan!
I ended up doing two different swatches; one in regular light and one in bright light. My camera also was having none of it the day I was trying to take pictures, so this isn't my best work. In the pan, Blue Ice looks white; ABH describes it as a 'diamond white with an icy blue reflect'. The blue doesn't come out until it is applied, but even in regular light, you can tell it's blue. Pink Heart, a 'pearl white with a pink opal reflect', looks equally as bland in pan, but applied you get a lot of dimension (more so in bright light).
These are the exact same two colors, but in bright, direct light. The amount of blue in Blue Ice looks about the same, but you get a lot more pink out of Pink Heart.
Next is Star and Lucky Clover. Seriously, you can't take these colors at pan-value.
In regular light, Star, a 'moonstone fusion of mint, platinum and silver reflect' looks like a bright silver (which in itself is pretty; this is definitely the most opaque color in this palette) and Lucky Clover, a 'shamrock-infused gold with canary yellow diamond reflect' looks like a  really pale chartreuse.
In bright light, Star really shines (haha...sorry) and you get a lot more depth from it and the yellow/gold tones start to come out in Lucky Clover (it's still green/chartreuse tinted).

Finally, we have Purple Horseshoe, a 'glittering lavender with an arctic blue reflect', and Blue Moon, a 'frozen blue with a silver reflect'.
Purple Horseshoe is the color that looks most like it does in the pan when swatched and it has the most amount of actual color. It also has the most glitter and, honestly, I think it works best as an eyeshadow. Blue Moon looks mostly silver in the pan, but there is a blue-tint to when swatched in regular light.
In bright light, Purple Horseshoe looks pretty much the same, you can just see the glitter more, but Blue Moon actually loses a lot of it's blue-tint and turns into a bright silver.

Overall, I think this is a great palette, especially if you're looking for 'unnatural' highlights that are still very wearable. They look opaque in my swatches, but you can easily sheer them out. In regular light, you can see a little color, but it's only when they catch the light will you see noticeable flashes of color (unless you build them up, then they'll be colorful all the time). Even though they look really similar in the pan, each color is quite distinct and, along with different colors, offers different effects. The only color I have a complaint about is Purple Horseshoe; it's just too chunky to be a highlight, unless you're going for a very over the top look. Since you can also use these as eyeshadows, however, I'm still going to get use out of it.

As a final thought, I'd like to point out that these colors are named after Lucky Charms: hearts (which are pink), stars, horseshoes (which are purple), clovers (which are green) and blue moons (which are, well, blue!), and how much more awesome that makes this palette.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment