Saturday, July 16, 2016

June 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag - Rebel Rebel - Unboxing & Review!

Let's go back in time a little bit, to the month of June 2016; summer was just starting, the weather wasn't too much different, and I had just gotten my June 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag.
I know this is a little late in coming, but life and work happens, plus I was waiting for my new light box to come in! We're stepping up our production values here. I'm still getting used to, and my camera is still a dinosaur, but I'm quite happy with how the majority of my pictures turned out.
Quick Run-Down: $10 a month beauty/makeup subscription service; five (or more) deluxe size/full size products, plus a unique makeup bag each month; lots of well known brands, some less known brands, and a good mix of drugstore and mid/high-end products; reward system for reviews and referrals, you earn points and can exchange them for extra products, the downside is that it can be difficult to earn enough points, rewards can sell out, and points expire.
The bag for June goes along with the theme 'Rebel rebel'. The graffiti design is interesting and unique, but unfortunately it's not really my style.
Ipsy also includes the least informative information card out of all the subscription boxes I've gotten, but I do like the theme-appropriate photos they use.
I believe everyone this month got an eye shadow sample from either theBalm or Urban Decay, and I'm super happy I ended up with one from Urban Decay! There were two different colors, Lounge, the one I got, and Fireball; I was really hoping for Fireball since I love how red/orange/pink shadows look with my blue eyes and I already own a few shadows really similar to Lounge.
Lounge is described as a 'reddish-brown topped with teal-green shimmer', and it's very similar to MAC's Club, Kat Von D's On The Road, and Wet n' Wild's Comfort Zone. The formulation of this color is excellent; it's super smooth and buttery and is very pigmented.
This shade is pretty dark for me, but it makes for a killer smokey eye look. Even though I would have preferred Fireball, I'm still quite happy getting Lounge. A full size Urban Decay shadow is 0.05oz for $19, making this 0.03oz sample worth about $11.40.
Hey Honey is a brand that I've come to love through samples in my subscription boxes, and I'm really excited to get a moisturizer as versatile as this one from them. This is the 24Seven Day and Night Revitalizing Cream. As with all Hey Honey products, this product includes honey, which is an excellent skincare ingredient (it has humectant and anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties) and, not only can it be used day or night, but it's one of the few moisturizers I've seen that says you can use it on your face, neck, and undereye area. The full size of this  product is 1.7fl oz for $38, so this 0.5fl oz sample  is worth about $11.18.
Next up is the ClariSEA Deep Pore Detox Activate Charcoal Exfoliating Mask. This is a sea salt and clay-based powder that you mix with a liquid of your choice to use as either a mask or a cleanser. I like these types of products since they're easy to travel with, you can customize them based on your needs by mixing them with different liquids (water, milk, honey, etc.), and they last a lot longer without any extra preservatives since there's no water in them. I'm not sure how I feel about this specific product, though; salt can be a little too harsh to use on your face, and there's some debate if charcoal has any real benefits for the skin. It looks finely ground enough that I may try it out, but most likely as a mask instead of a cleanser. The full size is 4oz for $18, making this 1oz sample worth $4.50.
One thing that Ipsy is good for is being introduced to brands that you might not otherwise have heard of. This can be a double-edged sword, however, since some lesser known/online-only brands can be quite expensive for the quality. I was worried that was going to be the case with this sample from Dirty Little Secret Cosmetics, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not. This is a sample of their Illuminating Baked Highlighter in the color Bellissima.
It is described as a 'rose gold shimmer with an icy finish' and seems more like a highlight/blush hybrid than a straight highlighter.
Even though it is a baked product, I felt like I got a lot of pigmentation right away (sometimes, with baked makeup, you need to foil it to really make it shine) and it felt quite smooth and buttery when I swatched it.
When I was looking up the value of this product, I was expecting the full size to be $15-$20, but was surprised to see that it was only $9 for 0.1oz. I believe the sample I received is the full sized product since it clearly states that it's 0.1oz, but in my Glam Room, Ipsy lists this as a 0.03oz sample size. I do think $9 is probably still a little expensive for what this product is (the highlight is nice, but the packaging feels super cheap) since you can find similar products from more well-known brands for less, but at least it isn't overpriced and then put on 'sale'.
Lastly, I got a nail polish from Formula X in the color Wingwoman. I love getting nail polish samples, and I love Formula X polishes, so I was really excited to see this little guy in my bag this month!

I didn't see Wingwoman for sale on Sephora's website (the exclusive retailer of Formula X), but it could be from an older collection (I found blog posts about it from February this year) or unavailable at the moment.
Wingwoman is a bright, raspberry red. I normally don't like reds, but there's enough pink/purple in this one that I find it interesting. It's a very appropriate color for summer, especially if you do prefer wearing red polish. A full size Formula X polish is 0.4oz for $10.50, so this sample (the sample only lists the size in ml, Sephora only listed the full size in oz, and I'm too lazy to go find one of my full size bottles) is about a third of the size and worth around $3.50.

Overall, I got four deluxe sized samples and one full sized product for a total value of about $39.58. This was a pretty middle of the road Glam Bag, both product-wise and value-wise, but that's not a bad thing! I would much rather have a bunch of average bags with a few stand outs than a mixture of bad, average, and one or two really good ones. If you're looking for a cheap monthly beauty thrill, Ipsy is a great choice.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment