Sunday, July 31, 2016

July 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag - Hot Summer Nights - Unboxing & Review!

Apparently everyone is feeling a little holographic this summer; even Ipsy!
Look at that bag! The products are alright, but I'm all about that holo. Okay, that's a little extreme, I'm actually quite pleased with that I got this month, but the holographic bag really adds something. Kind of unfortunate that it has those weird umbrellas on one side, though; I wish they had chosen a different pattern, or even just left it blank. The holo really speaks for itself.
Quick Run-Down: $10 a month beauty/makeup subscription service; five deluxe to full-size products from both drugstore and mid/high-end brands, plus a unqiue makeup bag; more likely to get color cosmetics and full sizes, but also more likely to receive products from online-only, not as well-known brands; get reward points for reviewing your products and referring people, but you can only spend them on certain rewards (which sell out if popular) and they expire after a year.
I've already touched on the bag itself, but I think it deserves another shot of it in all its glory. Again, I think this bag would have been way cooler without the umbrellas; it's also made of a stiffer material which seems to have gotten deformed slightly from being so tightly packed.
The theme for July 2016 is Hot Summer Nights. Themes don't really mean much with these subscription services, but I do think the products I got could be applicable to a 'hot summer night', so, hey.
These Ipsy info cards are some of the least informative out of all the boxes I get, but they're starting to include more info than just how to post your unboxing on social media. I actually haven't explored a lot of the Ipsy website besides reviewing my products and redeeming points, so I might take a look.
...I've forgotten what the spoilers were for July, but I'm pretty sure they included another round of theBalm eye shadow samples from the Meet Matt(e) Trimony palette.
There were two shades available, Matt Kumar, a matte cranberry, and Matt Moskowitz, a matt plum. I ended up with Matt Kumar, which goes well with my recent 'red eye shadow' phase (not really phase, I've just been into reds lately).
I like the Balm as a brand, and I think they have good products, but I have so much eye shadow, especially in palettes, that I'm not sure how often I'm going to reach for this. I love the packaging and the though behind it, but I'll likely end up just depotting this. I had to calculate the value of this sample based on the price of the palette; the palette is 21.6g for $42, making this 0.5g sample worth about $0.97.
Now that I'm actually thinking about it, I'm pretty sure this product was part of the spoilers as well. This is the Too Faced Hangover Primer, a silicone-free moisturizer/primer hybrid. It includes coconut water (like the Born This Way foundation) to provide lightweight hydration. It can be hard to find primers from mid-range brands that are silicone-free (I love the Hourglass mineral-based primer, but it's a little pricey), so I'm glad that Too Faced decided to come out with one. While this isn't the best primer I've ever used, it does it's job without irritating my skin. The full size is 1.35oz for $32, so this 0.16oz sample is worth about $3.80.
When I first started getting Ipsy bags, I was always a little disappointed when I got brushes or other tools since I wanted to try as many different products as possible. Now, since I have such a large excess of products, I love getting tools and brushes! It's funny how things can change... This is a Vasanti Cosmetics Contour Eye Shadow Brush; I've used Vasanti skin care products before (I especially like the BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator), but I didn't know they had a cosmetics line that included brushes. Ipsy also sampled a regular eye shadow brush, but I'm glad I got this one since it looks like it will make a good crease/blending brush. The bristles are synthetic and soft and are cut in a dome shape for more precision. This is a full size product and is worth $21.
This is another one of those cult beauty products that I've always thought about trying, but never purchased for one reason or another; this is a deluxe sample of the Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre. This product is a staple in many makeup arists' kits, as well as with many dermatologists, since it can be used as a moisturizer, primer, face mask, or makeup remover and it is well suited for those with sensitive skin. I'm very curious about this product; it's been used for over 65 years and a lot of well respected people rave about it, so it has to be good, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ingredients. It has shea butter, aloe vera extract, and soy proteins, but the second ingredient is liquid paraffin (basically mineral oil), it has added fragrance, and the aloe vera extract and soy proteins are the very last ingredients. I'm going to try it and see what all the fuss is about, but it's not something I would purchase if I saw it in a store without knowing anything else about it. The full size is 2.6oz for $28, making this 0.25oz sample worth about $2.70.
I'm not sure how I feel about this last product; I'm excited to try it since I've never used a banana powder before, it doesn't contain talc, and it's a good sample size, but it's from BellaPierre, one of those online-only brands that sell drugstore to mid-range quality products for mid- to high-end prices. Ipsy has a tendency to sample these products A. because it drives up the value of the Glam Bags and B. people likely wouldn't purchase the products without trying them first, especially at some of the prices they're charging.
I really like the color of this powder as well; it's yellow, but it's not the bright yellow you sometimes see.
I think it blends in well with my skin tone, while still providing enough color to help correct any redness or darkness. I much prefer using yellow to contract any red on my face since I find that it looks more natural and is easier to blend out than a green-based product. BellaPierre also says you can use this to help hide dark circles, but I think it would work best over purple-tones (I have those weird, nasty, genetic dark circles so they're a combination of blue and purple and I find I have the best luck with peach-colored correctors). Apparently, this is the full size of this product at 4g and it retails for a ridiculous $35.

Overall, I got three deluxe sized samples and two full size products for a total value of $63.47, which is pretty standard for Ipsy. While I really like the products I got and I am going to get at least a little bit of use out of all of them (the only one I could see myself not using at all is the eye shadow, and that's only because I already have a lot of shadows like it, not because it is a bad shadow), $56 of that value are from the brush (which I could maybe see being worth $21, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $15 for it) and the face powder (unless this proves to be the greatest face powder I've ever used, I wouldn't pay $35 for it--a setting powder from Givenchy is about $136 an ounce and this powder ends up being about $250 an ounce). But, since I only paid $10 for this entire bag, I really feel like I got my money's worth. If you're looking for a cheap makeup thrill every month, Ipsy is a great choice!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment