Saturday, June 18, 2016

Lancome Juicy Shaker Pigment Infused Bi-Phase Lip Oil - Boom-Meringue 313 - Swatch & Review!

Being both a human being and a beauty junkie, I am not immune to hype. While I feel I do have some valid reasons for purchasing a Lancome Juicy Shaker Pigment Infused Bi-Phase Lip Oil (that's the full name, but even Sephora shortens it to Juicy Shaker on the website, so I'll do the same here), I will be honest with myself and admit that a lot of it had to do with how much hype this product got.
These are supposed to be a imagining of a Juicy Tube, which is a cult favorite to begin with, in the form of a lip oil, which is a new lip product trend from Korea. There's nothing really like it on the market right now (at least from what I know), so it's definitely a unique product. But is it as amazing as everyone is making it out to be?
I want to be honest with you guys right off the bat: I've never owned nor even tried a Lancome Juicy Tube before. In fact, I don't think I've ever really used any Lancome makeup, I've only tried their skincare products. In my mind, I associate Lancome with high-end, more mature-focused, french skincare and not so much quirky or interesting makeup, if that makes sense. I forget specifically where I first heard about the Juicy Shakers, but it was most likely on Instagram shortly after they were announced. I was intrigued by the design and legacy, and figured I'd at least pick one up to try when they were released. What really sealed the deal for me in regards to actually purchasing one was the swatch and review video on Youtube from Tati.
On the Lancome website, it says there are 20 different flavors/colors, but there are only 18 listed (same on the Sephora website), so I'm not sure if there are some out of stock or limited edition or what. Each color has a different flavor, which I both love and hate: I like that there are different flavors since not everyone likes the same thing (I hate mint and love vanilla flavored products, some people are vice versa), but I don't like how some colors I want are in a flavor I don't like (there's a blue one that I would love, but it's mint flavored) and some flavors are associated with a color that I don't like/wouldn't look flattering on me (there's a vanilla one, but it's a really warm, brownish rose color). I went with Boom -Meringue 313 because I thought the color and flavor combo would be a safe choice. I purchased mine from Ulta, but these are also available from Sephora and Lancome directly. Depending on where you purchase yours (at least online), you'll either get a color description (from Ulta), a flavor description (from Sephora), or neither (from Lancome). This is a 'baby pink', though these Juicy Shakers are pretty sheer and don't provide a ton of a color. It's more brightening than anything, and it includes a little shimmer. Sephora says this is supposed to be a lemon meringue flavor, but then it says that 'Lemon Explosion' is flavored like pink bubblegum, so I'm wondering if there's a mix up there. I'm actually not a huge fan of the flavor of Boom-Meringue; it's not offensive, but it's very chemical and fake, not what I expected from this product. It's like an unspecific sugary flavor; there's not fruit or vanilla or anything, just sugar.
Since this is a bi-phase product, the pigment and oil will seperate and you have to shake it to mix them back together before using it, hence the name Juicy Shaker. Lancome went the extra mile and even made the containers look like little cocktail shakers; even though the design is cute, it still feels a little...french and mature to me. I don't hate it, but it doesn't appeal to me.
The applicator is pretty cool, though! It's really soft and squishy, and it's fun to use it to basically smash the product on. When the tube is closed, it sits in a well with three small holes in the bottom; when you shake it up to mix the pigment and oil, you're also infusing the applicator with product. Since a little goes a long way, I never have to 're-dip' during application to cover my whole mouth.
As far as the color...yeah, not much there. Which is actually nice, since then I can use this as more of a lip treatment than a color and it's super easy to apply on the go (though people do look at me funny when I'm shaking it...). Some colors have more pigment than others; if you're looking to purchase one based on color, I'd suggest looking up swatches online rather than trusting the ones from Lancome (they make them look way more pigmented than they actually are).

Overall, I do like this product. It leaves my lips feeling moisturized for a couple hours, but not greasy or covered in product. I also like that it doesn't have argan oil in it, which can be hard to find when a product is specifically marketed as a type of oil (the four oils it includes are rose de muscat, cranberry, peach, and sweet almond). I was a bit let down by the flavor, but that might be a problem specific to Boom-Meringue and the other colors/flavors are much more vibrant and enjoyable. At $21 each, these are pretty spendy, but they are very comparable to other lip treatments in the same price range.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment