Sunday, June 26, 2016

June 2016 Men's Target Beauty Box - Looking Good - Unboxing & Review!

Normally, I don't purchase men's beauty boxes; I know that I won't get much use out of the products (not that I couldn't use them or anything, I just have so much of my own stuff to get through first!) and my husband isn't big on skin/body/hair care outside of showering and wearing deodorant, but the Men's Target Beauty Box for June was too good of a deal to pass up.
This box was only $5, shipping included, and look at all those goodies! Even if the only thing I get any use out of is the razor (my husband prefers to use his electric one anyways, so I'm claiming this one for myself), I'd still feel like I was getting my money's worth.
Quick Run-Down: monthly makeup/beauty boxes released online by Target,but not technically a subscription since you can't actually subscribe, you have to purchase each box individually; boxes are $5-$10, shipping included, depending on the type of products included; at least one women's box is released each time (has been monthly for a while, but there's no guarantee that there will be one each month), though sometimes there are men's boxes or an additional women's box; sell out quickly so they can be hard to get a hold of if you're not a morning person and/or live on the West Coast); not a mystery box, all products included are revealed when the boxes go on sale, which is nice since you can purchase the boxes you like and avoid the boxes the you don't and/or won't get much use out of.
These boxes come in sturdy black cardboard boxes with the Target logo and Beauty Box written on the lid; besides a plastic film, this is the only box the products are shipped in. I've had some banged up boxes, but no damaged products, so it stands up well to shipping. You also get a little info card in each box with a 'theme' and info blurb on one side and a product list on the other. The 'theme' for the June men's box is Looking Good.
In this box there are ten products; the last two, the Balla Body Powder and Remington Beard Boss Beard Oil, were mystery variety products and you would receive one or the other in your box. I was hoping for the beard oil for my husband, but we ended up with the body powder.
As always, I'm going to go in the order of the products on the info card, so first up is the most boring product in this box, a Nautica Life cologne sample. I always forget that Target sells fragrance, for both men and women; it's not the first place I would look if I was shopping for a perfume (admittedly, the first place I would look would probably be Etsy, but for mainstream I would shop at Ulta or Sephora). I actually like how this cologne smells; it's warm and mellow and it doesn't have that harsh note that I find off-putting in a lot of cologne.
Good ole' Got2B Glued Styling Spiking Gel! My only real experience with this product is using it to style wigs, but if you're looking for a super strong gel, this is it (it also comes in an even stronger variety). Next to using glue (and don't use glue), this is probably one of the strongest hold hair products out there. This is another product I'll keep for myself if my husband doesn't want to use it himself.
I've gotten quite a few Marlowe products in my Target Beauty Boxes and they've given my a pretty favorable impression of the brand. This the No. 142 Men's Shave Gel; it's a clear gel in the tube, but it lathers when mixed with water. It has some interesting extracts, including green tea and willow bark, so it also provides some skincare benefits. It smells clean and masculine.
Next is the Axe White Label Night Body Wash. I have a love/hate thing for Axe; on the one hand, I don't like the heavy, intense scents of a lot of their products (I've also been a bystander in a handful of 'body spray wars' in school...), but it's also the brand of deodorant my husband has used the entire time I've known him, so the scent he uses, Phoenix, makes me think of him. This body wash has a very strong smell that irritates my nose, but it doesn't actually smell bad; it smells like clean grass. It's also deep purple, which is kind of weird; I never really understood why companies feel like they have to add dyes to personal care products. It doesn't improve my shower experience by having a brightly colored body wash and a lot of dyes can actually irritate your skin.
Speaking of deodorant (sort of), the next product in this box is a travel size of the Old Spice Hardest Working Deodorant in Pure Sport Plus (I think; I have no idea how men's deodorant is labeled). Old Spice is a tried and true deodorant brand (and I love their commercials) and I might be inclined to keep this for myself (a lot of women use Old Spice; it works well and a lot of the scents smell really good), but I really don't like the scent of this. This is a 'sweat-defense' formula, so I'm not sure if it smells differently when it's mixed with perspiration, but it smells harsh (like the note I was talking about before in colognes) with a weird, sweet undertone.
When I first opened this box, I thought this was another body wash, but it's actually a 2-in-1 Complete Care Shampoo and Conditioner from Dove Men + Care. I  personally don't like 2-in-1 hair products because my hair requires a bit more care and special attention, but for people with low maintenance hair, like my husband, they can be quite useful, especially when traveling. I like the smell of this product (it's another clean but masculine scent, but it also has just a hint of warmth) and that it says it helps with hair and scalp health (one of the main causes of hair loss/ hair thinning is poor scalp health and just improving that can improve the look of your hair).
The name of this next product amuses me; this is the Nivea Men Creme. It's a multipurpose cream that can be used on the face, body, or hands for hydration and to protect the skin from drying out. I'm not sure how I feel about the ingredients (mineral oil is the third and alcohol is the fourth) so if my husband doesn't want this, I'll probably just pass it on to someone else. It does have a foil seal (good to know for swapping) and the smell is like a masculine version of Play Doh (it's kind of weird and slightly unpleasant, honestly).
This is the star of the box for me! Like I said above, even if my husband and I want nothing else from this box, this razor made it worth it for me to purchase it (this exact razor retails for just under $10 on the Target website). This is a Schick Hydro 5 Men's Razor and if it's good enough to be used on your face, it's good enough to be used on your legs! I can always use another razor and getting one for $5 is an excellent deal (and then it's like everything else in this box was free).
Out of all the facial cleansing products in the drugstore, my favorites by far are from CeraVe. Their products seem to have the best/least irritating ingredients and they perform well. This is a solid bar version of their Hydrating Cleanser and it includes hydrating ingredients like ceramides and hyaluronic acid. I don't use a lot of solid face cleansers since I have a hard time storing them properly between uses (I don't like to leave them sitting out on my sink/in the shower, but I don't like to put them away unless they're fully dry), but this is another product that will be great for travel, especially by plane. I also love the creamy, soapy smell it has, just like the liquid version (there's no added fragrance, either!).
Finally, I got a Balla Body Powder sample. You could have gotten this product or a beard oil, and I'm pretty sad I didn't get the oil; my husband is much more likely to get use out of a beard oil than he is a body powder. This is basically a scented talcum powder, which really isn't the best thing for your skin, especially if you're putting it near sensitive areas. It says it's made with 'Italian talcum powder', but I don't know how/if that makes a difference in the quality of the talc; there's a lot of controversy about the safety of talc, which I won't comment on here since I don't know enough about it, but I know that talc can be irritating to people with sensitive skin, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Overall, this was an amazing box! For $5, shipping included, I got one full size item (the razor) which is worth about $10 on it's own, along with nine other deluxe/travel sized samples. Target Beauty Boxes are almost always worth it, especially since you can see everything you're going to get before you buy it. The only downside is that they can be a little hard to get your hands and when they sell out, they're out, so be sure to follow someone who announces when they go live, such as Nouveau Cheap if you're interested in snagging one.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment