Tuesday, June 28, 2016

June 2016 Julep Maven - Midsummer Light - Unboxing & Review!

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but ever since Julep opened up Maven box customization for me, my excitement and enjoyment of their subscription service has been rekindled. While I love a mystery box as much as the next person, when it comes to something as personal as picking a nail polish color, especially when it's only from a small collection of ten or so, I want to be able to chose what I want and what I don't (and to be able to opt out if nothing interests me).
Even though there have been some bumps in the road, and I don't always love everything that Julep puts out, the fact that they do let you skip your box as many times as you want is the reason why it's the subscription service I've been subscribed to the longest. And now it's even better that I can mix and match and make completely custom Maven boxes! For June 2016, I ended up with a fairly standard 'two polishes, one beauty product' box. (though my beauty product was not one of the new ones released for the month).
Quick Run-Down: $24.99 a month nail polish-centric makeup and beauty box (I pay $19.99 a month since that's what it was when I first subscribed and when Julep upped the price, they kept previous subscribers at the original cost); all products are made by Julep, a nail salon originally from Seattle, WA, and the box includes no outside brands (except for the occasional extra freebie); each month a new collection of polish colors is released, along with one or two new beauty products (which could also come in a variety of colors); able to customize your box to a certain price point, generally three full size products are included each month.
Each month you also get a quote; some I like more than others, but they're all positive/inspirational messages.
The theme for June 2016 is Midsummer Light, with a lot of lighter, shimmery colors (though there were one or two darker polishes, which was nice).
The product for this month is a repromote of Julep's Skip The Blush cheek sticks in four new colors. I skipped out on these because, even though I do like cream cheek products, I have a lot of other ones I'm trying to use up and creams gobad faster than powders.
 My coupon this month is JUNE30 for 30% off my next purchase at Julep.com. These coupons are nice, but you can't use them on mystery boxes, add-on products, or anything that's already on sale, so I tend to not get any use out of these. I prefer coupons where you get a free item with a certain amount of money spent since I believe you can use those with any kind of purchase.
For our extra/candy, we got Necco Wafers! I'm weird and love old timey candy, and Neccos are no exception. Actually, Necco makes a lot of my favorite candy including Squirrel Nut Zippers, Mary Janes, and Candy Buttons...
For my polishes, I picked Luella and Matilda. If these colors look familiar to you, that's because they are! These are based off of the two Pantone Color Of The Year colors, Serenity and Rose Quartz.
Luella is the rose quartz shade, which is exactly how Julep describes it. Both of these polishes are creme finishes, which isn't normally my favorite, but I really like both of these colors, and I don't own any other Color Of The Year products.
This color applied smoothly and seems opaque in two coats, but I have yet to try it on my nail, and I'm worried that it might be on the sheer side (most lighter colors are, unless they have a strong white base).
Matilda is the Serenity blue shade. I just noticed that both of these shades are only labelled as 'Color Of The Year 2016'; they don't belong to a Julep beauty profile like regular polishes do (Julep organizes their colors by profiles such as Bombshell and Boho Glam; it used to be more relevant when you couldn't customize your box since that's how Julep decided to curate them).
Matilda also applied smoothly (ignore the bump in my swatch; it's my fault that I didn't check to make sure my swatch wheel was lint-free...) and looks opaque in two coats. I'm less worried about the opacity of this polish since it's a bit darker than Luella. My swatch makes it look deeper than it is in real life, but the purple-grey tinge it has is color-accurate.
For my third product, I picked an old favorite, the Rock Star Hand Creme. It's a little pricey for a hand cream, but it works exceptionally well. It absorbs quickly, is non-greasy, leaves my hands looking and feeling hydrated, and it has a very subtle pleasant fragrance. It's hard to describe the scent of this product; it's almost like Julep added a fragrance to this product (it's the very last ingredient) to counteract any natural scent from the ingredients rather than to add any note to it, if that makes sense. My only complaint about this product is the lid; it's the old style twist top that can be kind of annoying to keep clean, especially if you're trying to keep this in a purse or in your desk at work (though it clicks when it's fully closed, which is nice). If you haven't tried Rock Star yet, I highly recommend it (though get it in a Maven box or when it's on sale).

Overall, I'm quite happy with my June 2016 Julep Maven box; the products I picked performed well and were exactly what I wanted (...it would be weird if they weren't since I chose them myself). I'm already locked into my July box, so I'm looking forward to that, and, as long as Julep lets me customize my boxes and skip a month or two if nothing appeals to me, I'm happy to continue to be a Julep Maven!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment