Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Sugarpill Liquid Lip Color in Trinket - Swatch & First Impressions!

Four months. Four long months I waited for this product, and finally it's here!
Ooh! Aah! Yes my Trinket liquid lip color from Sugarpill is here and I'm super excited to share swatches and my first impressions with you guys. Due to some computer issues way back in January when Sugarpill first listed this product, I managed to purchase it, but not really; there was a glitch that oversold Trinket and let people check-out and even receive confirmation e-mails for their orders. I was pretty crushed when I found out I was one of the unfortunate people who had bought, but not really, Trinket. However! Because of all the hype and excite surrounding Trinket, Sugarpill promised to make another batch and let us either wait it out and get our Trinkets when they were ready or cancel our order completely and get a notification when it was back in stock. I opted to wait. And now the long wait is over!
Sugarpill is a semi-indie cosmetic company that focuses on vegan, cruelty-free, and bright, bold makeup. Shrinkle (Amy Doan), the founder and owner, is a style icon and her brand and image focus around performance/theatrical and drag-inspired looks. Also she's incredibly adorable and I'm supremely jealous of her clothes and makeup skills. Supremely.
Everything from Sugarpill is adorable and well-designed, including the shipping boxes!
I also got another free sticker, even though this counts as part of my original order back in January (I bought the Feral loose eye shadow as well, which shipped separately). Probably going to put this on my laptop, that's how much I like it!
One of the biggest reasons why I wanted Trinket was the special limited edition artwork by Bei Badgirl. I love her art style, and who doesn't want a sexy mermaid on their liquid lipstick?
Beautiful. I was super worried that this re-release wouldn't have the same artwork as the original since it was meant to be an IMATS-exclusive (the ones that were purchasable from the online store were for people who couldn't make it to IMATS and Sugarpill wanted them to have a chance to get it as well). But it does! So I am incredibly happy, at least in that respect.
Even though they have the same artwork, this tube is different from the original release. The original was a lot longer and thinner; this tube is essentially the same as the ones Jeffree Star uses for his liquid lipsticks. I don't mind the heftier tube, but I wish they would have added a graphic to the lid; it almost looks unfinished.
Along with new tubes, we also got a new applicator! Again, these are basically the same wands that the Jeffree Star liquid lipsticks come with. It's a felted doe-foot, but there's a scoop in the middle, so it hugs your lips. It does take a little getting used to (this was the first time I've ever used a wand like this), but it applies the product smoothly and precisely.
Sugarpill also tweaked the formula so this new version is vegan! Since I don't have the original to compare it to, I don't know if the vegan version applies or wears any differently; regardless, it performs well and lives up to my expectations (which were admittedly quite high, so bravo!).
The color is a brownish, warm mauve with gold shimmer and applies it creamy and opaque. While wet, it's kind of hard to pick out the shimmer...
...but it intensifies as it dries! It's actually kind of shocking, especially since more and more shows up as it dries. On the lips, there is a slight grittiness from glitter, but it's not bothersome and you can only really feel it if you smush your lips together.

I want to make it clear that I do really like this lip color and I'm super happy to have it, but there are a couple things about it that I'm not totally pleased with.

First of all is the smell. It smells like orange creamsicles, but not in a gross or weirdly chemical way. It's actually pretty spot-on and if I had my eyes closed and had to smell a creamsicle and this lip color, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I just don't like the smell of orange creamsicles. Weird, I know. I would have much preferred a more vanilla-based scent, but then again, everyone does vanilla-scents and this is Sugarpill we're talking about here. I commend them for doing something different, it's just not my personal preference.

Second is the color. The color is actually quite pretty and most of the swatches I've seen of it are stunning. But unfortunately, it's not a color that looks flattering on me. I think there's just a bit too much brown in it and it's just a smidgen too warm. I could probably make it work with a specific look, but it's not something I can just throw on and be confidant the color looks good. Again, nothing at all wrong with the product itself, just a personal preference. I know Sugarpill said they were hoping to make more liquid lip colors, and I am super excited to try them if they do!

Third and final issue I have with this product is the removal. Since this is a liquid lipstick, it dries down and it sticks around for quite a long time. In order to remove it, I had to use a coconut oil-soaked cotton pad. That's not the issue; that's actually a feature! My issue is that, after I removed the color, I had gold glitter everywhere. Glitter is a nightmare to clean-up, and I wasn't too happy with the gold glitter beard I was sporting after I tried to remove this lip color. Even after a double cleanse (I always use an oil cleanser first, followed by a regular cleanser), I still had glitter all over my face. If you already have glitter all over your eyes and cheeks, then you probably won't mind a few extra specks of gold, but I personally don't like it when anything gets left behind on my face after I take off a product.

Overall, I am very happy with this lip color, especially since it still has the limited edition sexy mermaid artwork! I don't think Trinket is currently available from Sugarpill, but they did imply that they would be making a permanent version (probably without the mermaid), along with more colors, which I am super excited to try! If you love liquid lip colors, I would recommend giving one of these a try when Sugarpill launches them, hopefully sometime this year!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment