Sunday, May 8, 2016

Sephora Favorites Power Of The Petal Kit - Review! - Plus, Mini-Review Of NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

About once a day (only if I'm free; if I'm doing something else, I don't stop to check or anything), I browse the Sephora website to see if there's anything new or interesting in stock. If you've read my previous post, you'll know that I am huge fan of the Sephora Favorites kits. Normally, there are a few fragrance kits in stock, and one or two makeup kits (both types are good values, but I either already purchased them or they're not products that I am interested in right now), but one day, a skin care kit called Power Of The Petal caught my eye.
I'm a sucker for these kits, especially skin care themed ones, so I decided to give it a try. There are some products in here that have been featured in these types of kits before, but there are also some products that I've never sampled before. I'm glad I got it when I did; it keeps popping up now and then, but it doesn't seem to stay in stock very long. Hopefully they stock it in stores as well, but I have yet to see them at my local Sephora.
I'm going to go through the extra goodies I got with my order quick; I much prefer shopping online since A. you don't have to deal with people, B. products are more likely to be in stock, and C. you tend to get a lot of extra freebies. The only real downsides to online shopping versus in store is that you can't swatch things before buying them (I wouldn't buy a foundation online without physically swatching it somewhere first) and you have to wait for your order to ship.
I got my three, standard foil packet samples. Nothing too special, though I am interested in trying the Dior Jelly Sleeping Mask.
With my $25+ order, I also got to pick a free deluxe-sized sample. I went with a bottle of Erborian Yuza Double Lotion because it's from Korea, and I've never used a bi-phase lotion before; I've used a lot of eye makeup removers that are bi-phase (you have to shake them before use because the ingredients seperate in the bottle), but not a lotion. Very intriguing!
Since I haven't purchased Sephora Flash shipping (I'm pretty sure I'm going to hit VIB Rouge sometime this year, so I'm holding out until then), I had to add something else to my cart to bring the the total up to $50, so I have a bonus mini-review of the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. I've been interested in trying this concealer, but I didn't want to purchase a full size because I have a lot of other concealers already, but NARS now sells it in travel size for $12. ...sorry the cap is kind of gross. I used the product a few times before taking this picture and since it has the same rubbery coating that other NARS products, it gets dirty easily.
There are only two colors in travel size; Custard for yellow-toned light to medium complexions, and Vanilla for pink-toned fair complexions. I went with Custard because it seemed like it would be the best match for my skin tone.
This concealer has a doe-foot applicator and I like to dot it one my face before blending out with my finger or Beauty Blender.
I love the consistency of this concealer; it's definitely creamy and opaque, but it's not heavy or thick. I use this exclusively under my eyes and it really helps cover my dark circles if I use it over a color corrector (I haven't tried it on it's own yet). It also doesn't sink into my fine lines and it doesn't seem to crease as much throughout the day as my thicker, heavier concealers. As you can see, the color isn't exactly right for me; it's a little too yellow, but once I blend it out with my foundation, the color difference isn't noticeable. I am definitely interested in purchasing the full size of this product, but only if one of the other colors is a better match for me.
On to the main point of this post, the Power Of The Petal kit! In this kit you get seven deluxe-sized samples. None of them are sizes that are purchasable on their own, but these are pretty large as far as sample sizes go. One concern that a lot of people have about these kits is that the sizes of the products are shrinking and there are few to no full-sizes; while agree that this is true, I feel like it's not because the ratio of value versus price paid is changing, but because the prices of the products themselves are going up. This specific kit is $38 (before tax) and promises a value of $100.
The theme of this box is 'skincare powered by plants, fruits, and flowers' and some products seem to adhere to this theme better than others. All of the products are listed on the back of the box, along with the weight/size of the sample, the ingredients, and the country of origin. The only thing I would want to add are usage instructions since it isn't printed on some of the products.
First up is the Boscia Tsubaki Beauty Oil. This is a facial oil with tsubaki (camellia) oil, wakame (Japanese sea kelp), and rice bran oil to help hydrate, replenish, and protect. Since you only need to use two to three drops at a time, this bottle will last a very long time. A full size bottle is 1.7fl oz for $46, so this 0.44fl oz sample is worth about $11.90.
I've used this product before and I love it, but I haven't been able to purchase a full size because it is expensive. This is the Caudalie Premier Cru The Eye Cream and it is packed full of ingredients derived from grapes, along with other plant-based hydration-helpers and antioxidants. While I found the idea of this kit interesting in and of itself, the inclusion of this eye cream is one of the main reasons why I decided to purchase it. The full size is 0.5fl oz for $99, so this 0.2fl oz sample tube is worth $39.60. Which is more than what I paid for this entire kit.
Fresh is another brand I have a lot of good experiences with, but this specific product is new to me. This is the Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask; this mask is supposed to instantly improve the look of skin, boost hydration, and protect against damage from free radicals. The main active ingredient is black tea ferment, also known as Kombucha! I've never tried Kombucha before because fermented tea seems a little...iffy to me (even though I eat and drink a ton of fermented food every day; I think it's more because it looks weird and kind of chunky), but I'm totally down with putting it on my face if it helps my skin. This mask also has sake in it, and it is the second product I've seen today that does (the other was the Boscia Sake Treatment Water). I hadn't heard of sake as a skin care ingredient before today, which is why I thought it was so intriguing. The full size of this mask is 3.3fl oz for $92, so this 0.67fl oz tub is worth about $18.68.
On to the next column!
This is another product that I hadn't heard about before from a brand I am pretty familiar with: this is the Pivoine Sublime Skin Perfecting Cream from L'Occitane. This is a face cream that uses peony-extracts to hydrate and improve skin texture. It also includes 'mineral-based optical correctors', which basically means it has shimmer. I don't like products like this that have shimmer since it ends up looking really unnatural, especially in direct sunlight. This product was almost impossible to get out of the plastic inlay; I have no idea how they got it in there since I had to cut out. It also has an imprinted foil seal, which is always appreciated (I wish more products came sealed; I've seen some people stick their fingers in brand new product, then put it back in the box and/or on the shelf and that's just gross). The full size is 1.7oz for $42, making this 0.28 jar worth about $6.92.
Out of all the products in this kit, this is the only one where the plant/flower/fruit connection isn't immediately obvious; this is the Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation moisturizer. There are a lot of plant-based ingredients in this product, including licorice, sandalwood, geranium, and chamomile, but I don't feel like it really fits in with the theme, at least compared with the other products. I'm also a little biased because this product seems to find it's way into a lot of these sets, and I'm just not a big fan of it. Nothing too bad, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. The full size is 3oz for $65, so this 0.25oz sample is worth about $5.42.
Last column!
As I touched on in my previous Sephora Favorites kit review, Peter Thomas Roth is a brand that I've come to appreciate over time. This is a deluxe sample of the PTR Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Cleansing Gel. PTR has an entire line of rose stem cell-based products, so if you like rose-based skin care, definitely give it a look. I've seen this sample in a lot of these types of kits, but I've never tried it because I hate the scent of roses. I don't know what it is, but it honestly makes me a little ill; I can't even stand to be near real roses. I want to try this because I want to have an opinion on it (if that makes sense), but I don't know if I'll be able to get past the smell (it has a foil seal so I can't smell it, and I don't want to open it until I'm sure I'm going to use it). It also has SLS as the second ingredient, which is kind of surprising and disappointing to see in a higher-end product. The full size is 8.5fl oz for $38, so this 2fl oz bottle is worth about $8.94.
Along with the Caudalie eye cream, the other product that I was most interested in trying in this kit is this Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence. This is a hydrating toner that has hyaluronic acid and plant extracts to help plump skin and to maintain hydration throughout the day. This sample also comes in a glass bottle, which I think is pretty rare for these kits, as the samples seem to always come in plastic containers, regardless of what the full size comes in. There are a lot of good ingredients in this toner, including rose water and aloe, and I couldn't find any drying alcohol in the ingredient list. The full size of this product is 4.1fl oz for $89, so this 0.5fl oz sample is worth about $10.85.

Overall, there are seven deluxe-sized sample products in this kit, with a total value of about $102.31. Sephora promised us a $100 value for $38, so I'm very pleased with the value I got for what I paid. I'm also happy with and will use almost all the products in this kit; the only product I was so-so about is the Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation moisturizer and the only product I might not use is the PTR Rose Stem Cell cleansing gel. If you're interested in this kit and see it pop up for sale, I'd recommend getting it (and don't wait too long since it might sell out again!).

Thanks for reading!<3

No comments:

Post a Comment