Saturday, May 21, 2016

May 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag - Destination Chic - Unboxing & Review!

My May 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag is here (well, it was here a couple weeks ago...) and in the never-ending battle of Ipsy Vs. Birchbox, it definitely won this month.
It wasn't necessarily amazing (May boxes tend not to be for some reason), but I liked the variety of products and I feel like I will get more use out of them than the products that were in my Birchbox (I feel bad for bashing Birchbox so hard; if you want to read more about my thoughts, see my post about it here).
Quick Run-Down: $10 a month beauty subscription service; five deluxe sized products plus a unique makeup bag each month, more likely to get full size products but also more likely to get online-only, possible over-priced brands; earn points for reviews, but points expire and can only be used towards certain rewards, which 'sell out' quickly; there is normally a waitlist when you subscribe, but recently Ipsy ran a promo where there wasn't one for a few days (Ipsy is pretty popular, so it makes sense they have a waitlist, but it just seems kind of odd that they could get rid of it for a few days).
The bag itself this month was super cute and fairly unique; I like that Ipsy comes up with such different bags each month; they could do a zippered rectangle with a different pattern each month, but they come up with different shapes, colors, designs, sizes, and materials. There are a few color variations this month and I ended up with the pink version. I also really like how the bag plays into the 'Destination Chic' theme both in design (like a letter) and print (landmarks from around the world).
The info card this month is still lacking any information, but Ipsy actually did something pretty neat with it and made it into a postcard.
You can fill in the blanks and mail this postcard back to Ipsy for a chance to be featured on their social media. I'm considering sending it in and seeing what happens.
My first sample this month, according to my Glam Room, is a Hanalei Lip Treatment. This is the only product in this bag that's from a brand I've never heard of before. It looks like it's in one of those metallic tubes that you have to pierce to open, but it's actually plastic and the seal is just a peel-off (the cap has a spike, though, as if you did need it to open the product). This product is from Hawaii and is made using Kukui Nut oil and lanolin. It was a little difficult calculating the value of this product since the full size is listed as 15g on the Hanalei website and the sample size is 5mL/0.17oz, which don't really translate into grams. All I can think of is that the full size is 15mL and the 'g' is a typo and, if that's the case, then this sample is worth about $8.33.
Jelly Pong Pong products have really grown on me; the very first one I tried was lip crayon from a Glossybox way back when, and it seems to pop up more and more often in my current subscriptions.
This is a nearly full size Caribbean Sun Bronzer Duo in the color Aruba.
I also kind of assumed that Jelly Pong Pong was strictly an English or Australian brand; I'm surprised to see that this product was formulated in Italy.
I thought the colors in this bronzer duo were quite pretty and unique; both colors are very warm and one could even work as a blush.
Seriously, I really like these colors! I also like how there's no glitter nor shimmer; I'm pretty sure these were both matte/satin finishes, but unfortunately I don't have my compact to look at. It wasn't on the box, but this product has argan oil in it, so I can't use it without risking some serious skin irritation (my arm got red and itchy, but I thought it was just because I was a little too aggressive removing my swatch). I'm glad I read the ingredients on Ipsy before I put this on my face, and I'm really sad that I won't be able to use it. The full size is 0.11oz for $24.95; since this sample is 0.10oz, I'm calling it a full size product with the same value.
One of my favorite products ever to help deal with skin irritation (especially irritation caused by shaving) is the Avene Thermal Spring Water. Even so, I don't have a lot of experience with other products from them, so I'm happy to have gotten a sample of their Micellar Lotion Cleanser. I'm not sure why they call this a lotion since it looks like a normal micellar water cleanser to me, but, hey, whatever works. I love micellar water cleansers, but they're not all made the same, so I hope that this works as a cleanser as well as the Thermal Spring Water helps soothe my irritated skin. The full size is 13.5fl oz for $32, so this 0.8fl oz sample is worth about $1.90.
I'm always happy to get a nail polish, but there are some brands I'm happier to see than others. This is the second Aurora Gel Effect nail polish I've gotten, and this time it's in the color Old School Pink.
In May, if you got an Aurora polish, you could have gotten this neon pink, or you could have gotten a neon orange called, appropriately enough, Safety Orange. I'm glad I got the pink, but I'm not a fan of the formula of these Aurora polishes.
It's hard to see in this swatch, but this polish applied very patchy. After I applied the first coat, it was pretty streaky and sheer (which isn't uncommon for a neon polish). The second coat, however, added another layer of color in some areas, but picked up the previous coat in others, leaving bare spots. I tried a third coat and it evened things out a little, but you can still see the patches where the first layer was pulled up by the second. This is a still-wet swatch which is why it's so glossy; this polish dries matte (which, again, is not uncommon for neon polishes).
Lastly, I got a sample of the new Smashbox X-Rated mascara. I believe this was one of the products that everyone would get in their bag (there are three or samples that you were guaranteed to get at least one of, and this was one of them). This is a fiber formula mascara with a special 'x' shaped brush that's supposed to give you clump-free, flake-free, and smudge-free volume and length. I haven't opened this mascara yet to actually look at it since I have a ton of other tubes I'm trying to get through first, but I read some of the reviews for this product, and they didn't seem very positive. I'm not a fan of Smashbox products in general (their lipsticks are pretty awesome, but that's about it) so I don't have high expectations for this mascara. The full size is 0.30oz for $22, making this 0.10fl oz sample worth about $7.33.

Overall, I got two full size products (again, I'm counting the Jelly Pong Pong bronzer as a full size, even though it's 0.01oz less than the full size) and three deluxe sample sizes with a total value of about $51.50. Despite some of my negative feelings towards a few of the products, I am quite happy with what I got this month and am definitely more pleased with this bag than I was with my May Birchbox.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment