Saturday, May 14, 2016

Christian Louboutin Rouge Louboutin - $50 Nail Polish?! - Swatch & Review!

I am a nail polish collector. Hoarder, addict, enthusiast...however you want to say it, I love nail polish! There are so many colors, finishes, bottles, brands, etc. available out there that it's always exciting to shop for and research and track down. Recently, I was able to check a polish off my list of must-haves for my collection: the Christian Louboutin Rouge Louboutin nail polish.
Ooo...ahh... This polish actually released a while ago, but I had a hard time justifying paying $50 for a nail polish, even one as gorgeous and iconic as this one. I've finally been able to drop the cash on it and I am ecstatic to add it to my collection!
I purchased my Rouge Louboutin polish from Sephora.com; these polishes are not online-only, nor Sephora-exclusive, but I haven't seen them in my local Sephoras and I prefer to shop at Sephora over other places like Nordstrom (I know it's weird, but I always feel so out of place in their beauty department).
Since I purchased this polish online, I got the standard three free foil packet samples...
...and a deluxe size sample! This is a really nice sample; it came in it's own box and it even included a mini gold-tone spoon. I've heard a lot of good things about Tatcha products, but have never gotten around to trying any (I've been close a few times now, when they've had a lot of gifts with purchase), so I'm really excited to give this a try!
How gorgeous is this bottle? Even if I never use this polish, even if the polish itself is bad (it's not), this bottle is almost worth the $50 alone. The handle is modeled after the "heel of the Ballerina ULTIMA, the highest heel Christian Louboutin ever designed". It's also supposed to be weighted and ergonomic; I can't say if it's really comfortable since I haven't painted my nails yet (...I almost don't want to waste the polish), but it does feel well-balanced when I hold it.
The bottle itself is very heavy and made of glass; it's "inspired by classical balustrades found in European buildings". The black ombre fade is only on this special shade, Rouge Louboutin; the other colors in this collection have regular, clear glass bottles.
There are about 40 colors available in the Christian Louboutin polish collection, but this polish is extra special. This is the one that started it all, and it is inspired by the most iconic aspect of Christian Louboutin shoes, the red soles. The story goes that Christian Louboutin wanted to add a special pop to his shoes ended up painting the soles with a red nail polish, giving birth to his signature design. I don't know how closely this red matches the shoes, but even the idea is romantic and beautiful. I especially like the quote that Sephora has on their page for this polish:

“The red sole was born from red nail polish. I am giving back to beauty what the shoes took from the nails many years ago.” –Christian Louboutin
To give an idea of scale, here's the polish (in the box, which is probably how I'm going to display it to protect the color from the sun) in my hand. I have small palms, but my fingers are long, so my hand ends up being pretty average in size. The bottle itself is heavy, but the handle is light, and it feels exceptionally balanced and luxurious.
The wand is on the shorter side (which makes sense with the length of the cap) and the brush itself is average length and width. The brush is supposed to be "custom designed with a triangle-bristle construction that inhibits bubbles and deposits a smooth, flawless film of colour", but I haven't noticed a huge difference (again, I haven't painted my nails, only swatched it). Regardless, it applies the polish well and it's neither too big, nor too small.
Normally, I don't like red polish. I think it's boring, and kind of bizarre that it's the "traditional" color of polish. This polish though...maybe I'm biased because I paid a good chunk of change for it, but even the color seems richer, juicer, more vibrant. It's nearly opaque in one coat, but two gives it a lot of depth (it almost deepens the color slightly). I can't speak to the wear, but I don't expect more than a day or two from any nail polish; I've never had a polish go more then 48 hours without chipping no matter what I do. Not even gel polish lasts very long on me...

So is this polish worth the $50 price tag? For me, yes! It's beautiful, well-designed, and even the polish itself is top-notch; I'm going to proudly display it as a centerpiece in my collection. If you're just looking for a good red and don't care about the name or the bottle, there are a lot of great polishes out there and you're almost guaranteed to find one you love for less than $15. If you do chose to spend the $50 and pick this one up, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment