Monday, April 25, 2016

Tarte Tarteist Clay Paint Liner - Swatch & Review!

Hello! Sorry for the radio silence! I recently got back from a convention where I was selling some of my crocheted items, and I've spent every waking moment (that I wasn't at work) in the last few weeks preparing for it. The stuff I want to blog about has been piling up so it's time to try and get through it all! Some of these purchases are pretty old and the products and/or deals are no longer available, but I still want to share them with you guys. For posterity's sake.
I ended up picking up some things during Ulta's most recent 21 Days Of Beauty (...that's how old some of these purchases are), and one item I got, mostly on a whim, was the Tarteist Clay Paint Liner from Tarte!
Normally, I don't purchase much, if anything, from Tarte. It's one of my least favorite brands of makeup (mid/high-end wise, at least); the products themselves aren't bad, but they're not really my style, if that makes sense. I ended up getting this liner, however, because I liked the idea behind it, it comes with a brush, and it was on sale for $12 (it retails for $24).
This liner is kind of a mix between a gel and a liquid; it flows better than a gel, but it's still thick enough that you have some control over it. My favorite gel liner, MAC's Fluid Line, was getting old and I needed to replace it (getting another Fluid Line would have been too obvious, plus I love trying new things), and this seemed like the best of both worlds. I did read some reviews beforehand, and I was sad to see that they weren't all positive; if this had been the full $24, I would not have bought it. One of the most common complaints I read about this liner was that it is almost impossible to get out of the tube without making a huge mess. And I unfortunately have to agree; you'd think it would be easy, since it looks like you can just squeeze it, but either the liner itself is too thick to flow well in the tube or there is an excessive amount of air (I think it's a combination of both) and it's really hard to get the product out without causing a mini explosion and getting it everywhere. I knew that this might happen so I did it over my bathroom sink, minimizing the damage, but if you weren't aware of this issue, and tried to use it over a carpet or while wearing nice clothes...it may cause some problems.
For some reason, I thought the included brush would be a little bigger than it actually is (shown here on my hand for size comparison. I do have long fingers, but my hand is pretty average). I remember seeing the display for this product at Ulta, and the brush always looked so much bigger; it's possible that they had a different brush as the demo, but that's a little deceiving if so. Even though the brush is small, it's still perfectly functional.
It's very thin, which is good for precision, and the angle is supposed to help with that as well. I haven't used enough angled brushes to really have an opinion about them, but I know that they don't make it any harder to draw on my liner, so there's no harm in it. Another complaint that a lot of people had was that this brush is flimsy and not well made; mine has been holding up well, but it does feel a little cheap and it's pretty obvious that it was a "free" brush.
Besides the gel-liquid hybrid formula, this is the other innovated aspect of this product; this is the application tip, called the "blending stage". What you're supposed to do is squeeze a little bit of product out onto this tip and use it as a palette. One positive about this liner is that a little bit goes a very long way, so you don't need that much, and the lip gives you a nice place to scrape off any excess. I also like how this is a little more hygienic than a pot gel liner; you only have to keep dipping your brush into the product on the tip and then, when you're done, clean off any excess, causing little to no cross contamination. I can see this being a boon for makeup artists since it can help cut down on cleaning time and product waste.
...please ignore how dry and gross my finger is; I have a callus from crocheting. This is the "blending stage" with product; even this is waaaay too much for one application. It can be tricky to get a small amount out of the tube since you have to use a surprising amount of pressure to get the product out (and, if you're not careful, it will get everywhere). I get the feeling that, no matter what, this type of consistency is tricky to package; it's too liquid to be in a pot (and it would probably dry out quickly), but it's too thick to really work in a tube. I feel like Tarte picked the lesser of two evils by putting it in this type of packaging.
Here it is swatched; I didn't try to make thin lines, though I probably should have, considering the point of all this is precision. I do like how opaque and black this liner is; it also doesn't feather at all, even on my dry hands (I have a lot of issues with feathering on my eyes, which is another reason why I prefer gel liner over liquid). A lot of reviews said that this product is not waterproof like Tarte claims it is, and that it smudges very, very easily; I can't attest to it's wear time on my eyes, but I will say that I did have to scrub to get it off my hand, so I wonder if maybe it just doesn't work on oily lids and/or with watery eyes. If you have issues with other products smudging (I know a lot of people also have issues with Urban Decay's 24/7 liners, but they never, ever smudge on me), this might be a product to avoid, but for myself, I don't think I will have too many issues with it.

Overall, this is an interesting product, and I'm glad I'm able to give it a try; the idea is innovative, but it's still a little rough around the edges. The liner itself seems to apply well, though some people do have issues with the wear time, even though Tarte claims it is waterproof/smudgeproof. I would not buy this at the full $24; you don't get very much product and, while the included brush is helpful, especially if you've never used gel liner before and don't already own a liner brush, it doesn't add enough value to make up for the small amount of liner. You'd be better off getting a Fluid Line from MAC ($22 a pot and you get a lot of it) and a liner brush from Real Techniques (I think it retails for around $7). For $12 though, I think it's worth it to buy just to try it out. Hopefully, other companies will start to make this type of gel/liquid eyeliner hybrid with better packaging and price points, since I do really like the idea of this type of product.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment