Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sephora + Pantone Universe Correct and Conceal Palette in Light/Medium - Plus Algenist Color Correcting Drops - Swatch & Review!

Color correction in makeup is not a new thing; in fact, most beauty "trends" are not new. People have been correcting, contouring, baking, and strobing since the 1940's (if not even earlier; I've only seen it done in tutorials from as late as the 40's, but it could easily have existed before then and had just not been recorded). It is refreshing, though, to have so many color correcting products readily available!
For this post, I want to share with you guys some color correcting products I recently picked up from Sephora: specifically their Correct + Conceal Palette in Light and the Algenist Concentrated Color Correcting Drops in the color Apricot.
Normally, I avoid purchasing in-house makeup brands because they're never as good of quality as other, stand alone brands. The Sephora Collection, however, is generally quite good and is comparable, if not better, than many of the other brands they carry. I knew I wanted to pick up some more color correcting products in a variety of shades, but I didn't want to have to purchase a bunch of products to do so. Which is why I was super excited to see that Sephora + Pantone Universe came out with a whole palette of cream color correctors and concealers! Since I purchased this palette online, I got a couple extra goodies with my order.
Sephora is really pushing the color correcting trend and included this flyer with my order with a free mini makeover offer. I can bring this card in and exchange it for a 15-minute tutorial on color correction from a Sephora makeup artist.
I also got my standard three free foil packet samples. I got some interesting products, including a hair mist (not sure how that's going to work sampled out of a foil packet, but we'll see).
One of the biggest reasons why I placed this order when I did, was the Sephora was offering deluxe samples of the new Algenist Concentrated Color Correcting Drops with any $25+ purchase. All four colors (blue, green, apricot, and pink) were available, but only blue and apricot were left by the time I placed my order. Apricot was the color I wanted to try the most, so I wasn't disappointed.
Apricot is best suited for correcting areas of hyper pigmentation and dark under eye circles, which is where I need color correction the most! Concealer alone won't hide dark circles completely especially when they are as deep and dark as mine are (they're genetic so I'll have them forever, but getting enough sleep and staying hydrated do help calm them down a bit), so a little bit of color correction is needed to cover them all the way.
This product is very watery and is dispensed with a dropper. You can apply them directly to your skin, but they're designed to be added to your foundation/moisturizer/concealer to modify the color. Since these drops also include skin care ingredients (specifically microalgae, Alguronic Acid, and Microalgae Oil), they are also supposed to help improve the appearance of your skin over time.
When applied on its own, it blends out very sheer. I like that it's not obvious (and that it won't radically change the color of anything you mix it in to), but I worry that it doesn't have enough color to, well, correct! I'll have to try mixing this into my eye cream and see what I think.
And here's the star of the show! I've had really good luck with these Sephora + Pantone Universe palettes in the past, though I've never tried anything in a cream formula.
The box it comes in is quite pretty and on the back there is a color picture of all the colors, including their names. This is the Light/Medium palette and there is a deeper Medium/Dark palette as well.
The palette itself is completely white, with an information sticker on the back (mine's crooked...). It's actually a lot smaller than I expected; I'm used to the big, almost laptop-sized eye shadow palettes from the past, but this one  only a bit bigger than my hand.
There is also a plastic insert with all the color names/numbers, but I found it to be way too irritating to keep inside the palette, so I threw it away. The top of the palette looks about the same as the back, though instead of a (crooked...) sticker, it says Sephora + Pantone Universe near the bottom in silver.
You also get an information booklet, kind of similar to the Glamour Guides included in Too Faced palettes. The top section shows all the colors, including their names and numbers. Because I'm going to toss the box and plastic insert, I'm going to keep this booklet so I'll know what the colors are called (unfortunately, they're not printed on the palette itself).
Each section lists what colors to use, and how to use them, to correct different skin concerns on fair, light, and medium skin tones. This first section is for covering dark circles.
Next is how to cover redness and hyperpigmentation.
And the last section is how to counteract dullness and brightening. This booklet is actually quite informative, especially if you're new to color correction.
And here's the palette itself! Like I said, the colors aren't labeled in the palette, which is kind of a bummer, especially since it's been well-established in the beauty community that we prefer the names printed on the palette and not on the box and/or an insert. The top part of the palette has a mirror as well. There are fifteen different colors in this palette: seven correcting colors and eight concealing colors.
 Going left to right, top to bottom, the first color is Pale Dogwood. It is a very light, almost white, pink color corrector that is used to brighten. This color is very pale and would probably work best on fair skin tones.
 Next is Rose Dawn. This is a salmon-pink color corrector for dark circles and dark spots. This is the perfect color to correct my under eye circles. There were many pans that came loose in my palette; they're still attached, but they move when you push them, and this one is the second worst. Not sure if something happened in shipping, or if there is a flaw with my palette. It doesn't affect the product, but it does make me feel uncomfortable traveling with this palette.
Continuing along the top row, the next color is Muted Clay. This cream is a little more muted/peachy than Rose Dawn, and it is for dark circle/dark spot correction on medium skin tones. This is the loosest pan in this palette and it was the first one I noticed. It's still glued in, but just barely.

 Next is Pink Sand, the first concealer color in this row. It's a light, pink-toned concealer for fair skin, and it is the color I would most likely use for brightening (instead of Pale Dogwood).
 The last color in the top row is Sandstorm. This is a concealing color for medium skin tones and it has a yellow/olive undertone.
The first color in the second row is Laurel Green. This is a pale, mint green to be used as a color corrector to eliminate redness. I tend to avoid green color correctors because they never look right on my skin, even after I blend them out and layer my foundation over them. All of the colors in the palette are very pigmented so you have to be careful when using some of the color correctors, especially this one. It's very easy to use too much and then it looks like you have green skin instead of red. On the positive side, these are very easy to blend out, so if you do use too much, it's not the end of the world. Plus, since you need so little, these pans will last a long time.
Next is Dusty Pink, a color corrector for dark spots/dark circles for fair to light skin tones. This is a paler, slightly more orange version of Rose Dawn, and would work well for people with fair skin and blue under eye circles.
 This is Amberlight, the palest concealer color in this palette. It's a very pale yellow and is just a hint too light for me to use. I'm kind of surprised that there isn't another concealer this pale but with a pink under tone. That is the risk you take, though, when purchasing these types of palettes; you get more color options, but you can't customize them for your own skin tone, so you'll end up with colors you can't use.
 Next is Maple Sugar, a neutral to cool toned concealer color for light skin. This color is almost a perfect match for me, though it has just a touch too much pink to it.
 The last color in this middle row is Macaroon, a cool-toned concealer color for medium skin tones.
The first color in the last row is Lavender Fog, a pale lavender color corrector for dull skin. This is a good color to counteract dullness and sallow tones in warmer-toned skin, but a pale blue color would work better as a brightener for cooler-toned skin.
Next is Impala, a pale banana yellow. This is a color corrector for redness and purple tones, and is the color I use to correct any redness in lieu of a green. I find the effect is a lot more subtle and you don't have to worry quite so much about blending it in all the way since, if a little bit still shows, it's not anywhere near as noticeable as a green would be. I like to use this on my nose and cheeks since they tend to flush red easily when I get cold. This is also the seventh and final correcting color.
 The next color is Appleblossom, a concealer color for light skin tones. This color is also a near perfect match for me, but it's just a hint too yellow. I like mixing Appleblossom and Maple Sugar together since they balance each other out. One of the reasons why I wanted to get a palette of correctors and concealers (besides having all the colors) was so that I could mix and match to get the perfect color. Plus, if my skin changes over the summer, I'll be able to adjust the color of my concealer without having to worry about buying another product.
 Next is Camel, the deepest concealer color in this palette. It's a very peachy tan, best suited for a pinker/cooler medium skin tone.
The last color in this palette is Indian Tan. This is a yellow-toned concealer color for medium to tan skin tones. This color was also the creamiest in texture; it almost felt like it had melted. You can see in my swatch that I applied a lot more than I intended to.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this palette. There's a good selection of colors here, with options for fair, light, and medium skin tones with both warm or cool undertones. All of the colors were pigmented and opaque, sometimes to their detriment (specifically with Laurel Green). They applied smoothly and they blend well both on bare skin and over foundation. I was actually surprised at how creamy they were; I don't have very good experiences with cream palettes, so I assumed they would be stiff and need a bit more fiddling with to make them work, but that's not the case at all. They may still dry out over time, but right now, they're perfect.

Even though the palette is smaller than I expected, the pans are about the size of a standard eye shadow and you get a good amount of product (especially since a little goes a long way). I am a little disappointed that the pans in my palette arrived so loose, but again, it doesn't affect how the creams themselves perform, it only makes me reluctant to travel with it.

If you're interested in trying out color correcting and you have a lot of different skin concerns to address (or you just like having a lot of options), this palette is definitely worth picking up, even at the $49 price tag.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment