Saturday, March 26, 2016

March 2016 Target Beauty Box - Unboxing & Review!

With the wealth of $10 or less beauty boxes available now, it can be very hard to chose a favorite; they all have their pros and cons, and it all boils down to what you personally want in a beauty box. For this post, I want to share with you one of my favorite $10 (or less!) boxes: the March 2016 Target Beauty Box.
Look at all those goodies! The price of the Target Beauty Box varies from month to month (and box to box if there are more than one for a given month), and this month it was $7, which included shipping.
Quick Run-Down: the Target beauty box differs from other services since it's not a subscription service. And there's no guarantee that there will be a box each month, though there has been for a while now. These boxes go up for sale on the first Monday of the month (this March box actually went up on February 29th, since it was the Monday of the first week of March; February 29th is a very confusing day) and they range in price from $5 to $10, depending on what products are included. Once these boxes sell out, there won't be any more, so you won't be able to get this exact box, but these past boxes give a good idea of the types of products and value you will likely get in future boxes. If you are really interested in getting this box, I recommend following Nouveau Cheap on Instagram since she posts when the boxes go live.
The theme for March is Vacay Vibes, though these themes have very little to do with the products included in the box (this is how it is with almost all of the other boxes I subscribe to, so it's not really a bad thing).
All of the products in the Target boxes are available to purchase form Target, so they're all from drugstore brands. In this box, we got eight products from a variety of beauty/makeup categories.
Most of the samples in the Target boxes are full-size or deluxe-size minis, but you will get foil packets every so often as well. These packets are samples of the Clairol Hair Food Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner. Hair Food is a newer brand at Target, which is exciting, but I'm going to pass these on since the shampoo has SLS and the conditioner has silicone.
I really hope this summer is not going to be like last year, when every subscription service included a sea salt texturing spray. These sprays actually work well with my hair type, but I don't need five of them. This is the Not Your Mother's Texturizing Sea Salt Spray; from what I remember, this is a good spray, especially for the price, and it smells beachy (kind of like pineapple/coconut, though if I smell it too long, it starts to smell like a medicine that has a flavor added. Do pharmacies still do that? When I was little, you could pick from something like twenty different flavors for your liquid medicine, but I haven't had it for so long, I don't know if they offer that any more).
Yay, nail polish! It's always a good box if I get a nail polish. Everyone got a Sinful Colors polish, but the color could vary.
I ended up with Lie-Lac, which is a gorgeous pastel lilac.
This polish is great, especially since it retails for around $2 a bottle. The color was opaque after one coat (though I used two out of habit), it leveled nicely, and it dried smooth and glossy.
I've actually gotten a sample of this product before, and Target seems to want to include Laneige products in every box possible. This is a deluxe mini of the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask. Laneige is a Korean brand, and it is actually a branch of the higher-end AmorePacific brand! I'm all about Korean skin care, and even these drugstore and less expensive brands/products have a lot to offer. This is a mask/moisturizer that you put on your face at night and leave it on until the morning. Since I don't want to have a goopy face when I'm sleeping, I make sure that I don't use too much so it absorbs quickly and completely (it also has a watery/gel texture, so it doesn't feel heavy or stifling, even if you do use too much).
I'm glad that Target included a sunscreen in this box; sunscreen is an often skipped step when it comes to skin care/makeup, even though it is one of the most important ones. I will say, though, that you need to wear sunscreen all year round, not only in just the summer (winter-time might actually be worse since the snow and ice can reflect sunlight); I kind of feel like including a sunscreen in a spring box encourages the misconception that you don't need sun protection in the fall/winter. This is also a chemical sunscreen, which is not my preferred type, but it will be a good product to throw in my bag and use for reapplication if needed.
The name of this brand always makes me laugh, though I'm pretty sure I'm pronouncing it wrong (I say "nugg" like in "nugget", but I think it's supposed to be "noog"...which is actually just as funny). This is a Nugg Deep Cleansing Face Mask pod; I'm not sure if every one got the same type, or if there were different varieties since on the info card it says we got the Nugg Deep Hydration Facial Mask. These pods function like all mud/clay masks; you apply it to clean, dry skin, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse off. I have a love/hate relationship with these single-use mask pods; I love that single-use means the integrity of the ingredients is being preserved since you're not constantly exposing them to light and air, but I hate that you have to waste a ton of product since they include way more than you need for a single application (and it's really annoying trying to save them for a second use).
Next up is the Juicy Grapefruit body lotion from You Are Amazing, a new Target-exclusive brand! I believe this is an in-house brand( like Up&Up), that still exists on its own (unlike Up&Up), similar to the Kat Von D brand at Sephora. The products from this brand are very affordable and they seem to be of decent quality (I haven't used this yet, but I have read reviews of it and people are mostly happy with it). I'm not a big fan of grapefruit scents, but it's sweet and fairly soft, so hopefully it will be tolerable.
The last product in this box is also the one that I'm the least excited for (I apologize for ending on a sad note!). This is the Caress Adore Forever body wash, and this is the third or fourth time that I've gotten it as a sample. I've never used this product, so I can't speak to its quality, but I hate heavily scented body products since I have sensitive skin. The third ingredient in this body wash, after water and SLS, is fragrance, which is way too high for me to feel comfortable with. Like the other samples of this product, this is going to get passed on to a friend or family member.

And that was the March 2016 Target Beauty Box! I got eight (technically nine) products: one was full size, one (two) was a foil packet, and six were deluxe-sample/travel size. I don't normally calculate the value of these boxes, but I can definitely say that this box was worth the $7 I paid for it. Again, if you're interested in getting one of these boxes, I highly recommend checking out Nouvea Cheap on Instagram to get updates/alerts since they sell out really quickly when they become available.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment