Sunday, March 27, 2016

March 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag - Hello Spring - Unboxing & Review!

March is always a difficult month for me; you'd think I'd be happy that it's March because it's the tail-end of my least favorite quarter of the year, but to combines everything I hate about all the seasons in one terrible month. Rain, snow, cold, damp, bugs; you name it, March has it. Which is why I'm always super happy to see spring palettes, themes, and collections start to pop up since they help take my mind off the horror that is March!
And seriously, how pretty and "springy" is the March Ipsy Glam Bag? I love this combo of hot pink and mint; it's very unexpected, but they complement each other nicely.
And the goodies inside are pretty awesome, too!
Quick Run-Down: $10 a month beauty/makeup subscription service; also get a different and unique makeup bag each month; five samples a month, sometimes more, but rare; more likely to get color cosmetics and full size samples than in other $10-$15, but more samples from online-only (and possibly overpriced) brands; there is a rewards program where you earn points for referring people and reviewing your samples, but they expire quickly and can only be redeemed for certain extras (normally left over samples from previous bags). If you're interested in signing up for Ipsy, I'd really appreciate it if you'd use my referral link here, otherwise you can go directly to the Ipsy website.

Ipsy has one of the most uninformative information cards, but I would feel slighted if they did not include one, so at least it's there.
The front of the card generally has the theme and a photo/collage of makeup looks that go along with it. The back of the info card has a little blurb about the theme and then instructions on how to post your bag on social media for a chance to win a one-year subscription to Ipsy.
The first sample this month is a full size NYX Liquid Suede cream lipstick. I believe this was the sample this month that almost everyone got (Ipsy bags vary greatly, but there's generally one sample a month that is in almost all of them), and you could have gotten one of three shades: Kitten Heels, Soft Spoken, or Pink Lust, which is the one I got. I would also have been happy with Kitten Heels, but I already own Soft Spoken, so I'm glad I didn't get that one (though if I didn't, I would have been happy with any of these colors since I love this formula so much).
I like how the French name for this color is Passion Rose; it amuses me greatly.
These cream lipsticks have a felted paddle-shaped applicator. I already own four of the NYX Liquid Suedes and when I first tried to apply them, I found the paddle-shape kind of awkward, but I got the hang out it quite quickly and now I think it's the best way to apply these lipsticks. A doe-foot would work, but this formula requires a lot of precision since the colors are so pigmented and opaque, so the paddle makes it easier to get into tight spaces.
Pink Lust is a super bright, cool-toned pink and it's just as opaque and easy to apply as my other Liquid Suede shades. Even if you didn't get to sample this product this month, I highly recommend checking these cream lipsticks out because they are, by far, my favorite liquid/cream lipsticks on the market right now. This is a full sized product and it retails for $7.
Somehow, I ended up with another sample bottle of the Living Proof PhD Dry Shampoo. My other bottle was from a different subscription box, so Ipsy did not give me a dupe (most subscription boxes are very careful about not sampling the same product twice, and I have yet to have it happen to me within the same service. It does happen from time to time between services, though), but I'm still disappointed with it. This is not a bad dry shampoo; in fact, it's one of the only (if not the only) dry shampoos that actually clean your hair and not just absorb oil and sit on your roots. I just can't stand the smell of Living Proof products (it's a weird citrus-floral), so this will get passed on to a friend or family member as soon as I finish blogging about it. Since you can purchase this size from a normal retailer, I count it as being full size (though technically I think it's a "travel size"); it retails for around $12.
I used to not like getting beauty tools in my subscription boxes because I wanted more makeup and skin care, but now I actually look forward to getting them because I have too much makeup (and you can never have too many brushes; they never expire like makeup/skin care do, so you can horde them for years if you want). This is a loose powder brush by the brand MeMeMe. MeMeMe seems like one of those online-only, over-priced brands that Ipsy likes to sample from to help drive up their bag values; the full size of this brush retails for £14, or a little less than $20, which is pretty expensive, considering the quality of this brush. It's not very dense and the bristles are synthetic. It reminds me of an EcoTools brush, which is significantly cheaper. It is a very soft brush, which is nice, and I will definitely get use out of it, but I would not pay almost $20 for it. I'm not sure if this is the full size (the website says it also comes with a carry case; this brush only came in a plastic sleeve), but I'm going to assume that it is.
The next sample is from Temptu, a well-known brand that makes airbrush makeup. This is the Warm Glow Bronzer, and it is packaged in a dropper bottle so that it can be applied with an airbrush or a manual brush (not many casual makeup fans own an airbrush system, so it's nice that Temptu packaged this sample in a way that can be used by everyone).
You can't actually buy this product in the format; all of the makeup sold by Temptu comes in special pods that are to be used with their airbrushes.
Initially, I was disappointed with this product since I didn't think it would work well without being applied with an airbursh, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it still looks great when applied manually. It's very thin and sheer and it blends out evenly. This is not a bronzer that will work as a contour, though, as it's too warm and sheer (qualities that make it work wonderfully as an all-over bronzer!). Since Temptu doesn't sell these dropper bottles, and I couldn't find how much product was in the pods, I have no idea what this product is worth. I will say, though, that a little goes a long way and you get quite a lot in the dropper bottle, so this sample will probably last me all summer.
The last sample in the March 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag is the Nourish Organic Rose Hip and Rosewater Body Oil Mist. Which is sampled in the tube for some reason. When I think of mist, I think of a spray bottle (as I'm sure other people do). I'm happy that this is a Nourish Organic product that I can actually try; the last couple have had argan oil in them. The only thing that concerns me is that this product will likely smell strongly of roses, which I find very off-putting (I haven't been able to smell it yet since it's safety sealed and I don't want to unseal it until I'm ready to use it). The full size is 3fl oz for $19.99, which makes this 0.5fl oz sample worth about $3.33.

Overall, I got three full size products (the lipstick, dry shampoo, and the brush) and two deluxe size samples (the bronzer and body oil) for a total value of about $41.33 (which is without the value of the Temptu bronzer since I couldn't calculate it). That sounds like an awesome deal, especially for only $10 a month, but if you take out the over-priced $20 brush, it brings the value down to around $21 (again, sans the bronzer). Still, I doubled my money and I will use four out of five products, so this bag was definitely worth it.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment