Wednesday, March 9, 2016

MAC Viva Glam Ariana Grande Lipstick - Swatch & Review!

Unless you're very new to the beauty world (and it's totally okay if you are!), you are most likely aware of the Viva Glam lip product line from MAC Cosmetics. Every cent of the selling price from Viva Glam lip products goes towards helping the men, women, and child that are living with and/or are affected by HIV/AIDS, which is a very noble cause and good enough reason alone to purchase Viva Glam products, but MAC takes it one step further and partners with celebrities to come out with some pretty gorgeous colors! One of my first experiences with a MAC Viva Glam lipstick was the very first lipstick they collaborated with Lady Gaga on, and I regret to this day not actually purchasing it (I was young and penniless. Also it would have probably gone bad by now, but it's the principle of the matter).
The most recent Viva Glam lipstick, and the one I want to share with you today, is the Viva Glam Ariana Grande lipstick! Along with special promo images, celebrity collab lipsticks include their signature on the box and on the tube itself.
When I first heard that this collaboration was going to be with Ariana Grande, I was pretty indifferent.
I'm not a fan of Ariana; to be honest, I don't even know that much about her. I did try to watch one of her music videos once, but it just wasn't for me. However! After I saw the color of this lipstick, I knew I needed to have it, regardless of who the celebrity endorsing it was.
All Viva Glam lipsticks come in satin black tubes with red bands and lettering, which makes them easy to pick out in a bunch of MAC lipsticks. Because the money from the sale of this product goes towards charity, you cannot use Viva Glam products for the Back To MAC program.
Viva Glam lipsticks don't have names like other MAC lipsticks; if they are part of a current collaboration, they are the name of the celebrity and are generally limited edition. There are six permanent Viva Glam lipsticks that are referred to by number, as in Viva Glam I, Viva Glam II, and so on. The finish of this lipstick is also apparently supposed to be matte, which is a bit of a surprise to me.
Bam! Look at that vampy glorious-ness! You can also see Ariana Grande's signature on the tube, like other Viva Glam collabs. MAC calls this shade a "deep, dark plum", which is pretty accurate, though it's on the reddish side of plum (I actually just Googled what a plum looks like and they are definitely more red than blue). In some light, it actually looks kind of brown, like a deep brick red.
The color is gorgeous, and exactly what I wanted, but honestly, this may be one of the more disappointing MAC lipsticks that I've owned. The color is a lot more sheer than you'd expect (my swatch was a few passes) and building it up is not easy because it is so dark. There was a lot of patchiness and and overall uneven application when I applied it without a lip liner; I also had a difficult time applying it cleanly (I'm by no means perfect at applying my lipstick, but I do a presentable job, even with bright reds and other deep purples), which makes me uncomfortable wearing it if I'm going out and may need to reapply it on the go. Which in turn means I won't ever reach for it; I had a similar problem when OCC Lip Tars were in the tubes; gorgeous colors and excellent product, but I never used them because they were so hard to touch up. I also don't think that this is a matte finish; I don't like how drying true/retro mattes are, so I'm glad it's not like that, but it never seems to dry down on my lips. If anything, I'd call it a satin (and even then, it's still a little more shiny than my other satin finish lipsticks)

Overall, I'm happy I purchased this lipstick, if for no other reason than the fact that MAC does donate so much money to help people with/affected by HIV/AIDS. If this was a permanent color, however, I would give it a pass; even though it's a great color, especially if you love the vampy look, the formula is just not worth it.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment