Thursday, March 3, 2016

February 2016 Target Beauty Box - Unboxing & Review!

I'm sure it's no secret, especially if you've read almost any of my other posts, but I love beauty/makeup sampler boxes. Absolutely love them. To the point where I'm probably extremely spoiled by them and now have a really hard time justifying purchasing single, full sized items. If I could afford it, I would be subscribed to as many boxes as possible. Since I am not a millionaire (unfortunately), I try to be a little picky about my subscription services/sample boxes with regards to quality of samples and price.
One of the best drugstore sampler boxes I've found is the Target Beauty Box! These boxes range in price from $5 to $10, shipping included, and you always seem to get at least three times what you paid for in product value. The only downside is that these are not actually subscription boxes; it's not announced beforehand when they're going to go on sale (lately it's been on the first Monday of the month) and once they sell out, they're gone, so you have to be quick if you want one. But they are more than worth the hassle and, if they are something you're interested in getting, make sure to follow Nouveau Cheap since she always posts when the boxes go up.

For this post, I want to share with you my February 2016 Target Beauty Box. This box is no longer available, but it does give you an idea of what types of products, sample sizes, and values you can expect with these boxes.
No need for a quick run-down this time since I took care of it in my opening, but I will mention that this particular box is a $7 one, which seems to be the most common price. I have gotten a $5 box before, but a lot of other people reported that it was $7 for them, so I'm not sure if it varies not only on the size of the box, but also on your location (I live in Minnesota, which is there Target originated, but the boxes ship from either Illinois or Indiana, I can't remember which).
The products always come in a very sturdy matte black box, similar in quality to Glossyboxes, and you get a little info card. On one side is the "theme" for the month (like most mainstream boxes, the "theme" is adhered to loosely, if at all)...
...and on the other is a list of all the products included in the box, along with a short blurb about each one. I wish Target also included the full size prices of each product like Birchbox does, especially since they carry everything sampled. You also get a coupon for $3 off a $15 or more beauty purchase, which makes purchasing a full size product more appealing.
First up, we have deluxe/travel size samples of Soapbox Coconut Oil Shampoo and Conditioner. I really like how Target carries a bunch of new (to me, at least) and interesting brands, and that they introduce them through these sampler boxes. I hadn't heard of Soapbox before getting these samples, but they seem like ecoconciou/humanitarian brand. On the back of the bottle, it says that every full size bottle "also provides a month's supply of clean water to a community in need through our partner Splash" and that it has a Hope Code which enables you to see where the community that you helped is. Kind of neat, really. I also like these products are free of sulfates, phthalates, and artificial colorants and are cruelty-free. One downside that I've seen is, at least at my local Target, the bottles don't seem to hold up very well and they're all dirty and leaking. Again, this might be an issue at my Target only, but it means I most likely won't ever purchase these in-store.
Another brand that's new to me, though I'm pretty sure I've seen it before in my Target, this is another deluxe/travel size of the Mayfair Soap Foundry Body Creme in Sea Lily Jasmine. Since there isn't a scent specified on the info card, I'm not sure if everyone got the same scent or if there were different options. I'm very happy with the Sea Lily Jasmine scent; it's sweet, but not sugary, and it's floral without being heavy. It has a texture in-between a lotion and a body butter and it seems to absorb quickly. It does leave that weird papery feeling afterwards, but I think that's because dimethicone is high up on the list of ingredients. I'm going to definitely throw this in my purse to use as a hand cream; it's too heavily fragranced for me to use it as a body cream.
Out of all of the items in this box, this is probably the most disappointing one: A. it's a perfume sample and perfume samples generally feel like filler/throw away samples and B. I really don't like Vera Wang as a brand (this is kind of a long story, so I won't get into it here). The scent is pretty boring and nothing unique; it's a green tea/pear fresh scent that you can easily find at any perfume counter. It's not a bad scent, just very dull.
I believe this next product is new to the market (granted, I don't follow drugstore hair care products, so it could have been around for months now for all I know. I'm just assuming because it says "new" on the bottle, and when I was looking it up, it wasn't available everywhere), which is another bonus to purchasing these sampler boxes: you often times get to the be the first wave of people able to try a new product. This is the L'Oreal Boost It Air Blown Texture Mist. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to try this product; I do need more volume at my roots, and I find these mist products the easiest to work with (other volume products are either too heavy and make my hair look greasy, or they rough up my hair and make it look frizzy), but I generally don't have much luck with drugstore hair care products and there are some ingredients in this product that I try to avoid (specifically alcohol and dimethicone). L'Oreal has a line of products that are specifically alcohol-free, so it's kind of annoying that they included it in this product (as the second ingredient, after water).
I've been seeing Skinfix everywhere lately; I got another Skinfix product in my February Allure Beauty Box, and Ulta just started carrying it, too. In the Target Beauty Box, we got a Lip Repair Balm. I already have a ton of lip care products, but I feel like it's one of those things that you can never have too much of. If there isn't a lip care product readily available to me, I have a tendency to hold off using one as long as possible, which leads me to have super chapped, red lips. I've been leaving them everywhere I find myself spending a lot of time, so I always have one in easy reach. It's really been helping, so I'm more than happy to add another to my collection. This is a flavor and color free balm, which is especially great for at night. It has coconut and jojoba oils, which are great for your skin, and even though I don't like it, the first ingredient is pertrolatum, which is considered to be one of the best products to use on chapped lips/skin.
We also got a bath pouf! And an EcoTools pouf at that! I normally avoid these because I think they're gross (especially if you use them for more than a month or two), but I have a lot of body wash (...from sampler boxes) that I want to use and I find it easiest to use them with poufs. You can use body wash with washcloths, too, but I think those are even grosser than poufs (they never seem to dry all the way, where poufs dry pretty quickly if you hang them up properly). This is a travel size pouf, so it's a little smaller than a full size one, but that actually might be an advantage since the full size ones get way too out of hand after they loosen up after a few uses. It's also made out of 100% recycled items (the tag is only made out of 80% recycled material...), so yay for being eco-conscious!
Another Laneige BB Cushion sample. I'm actually not upset about getting a double since I knew this sample was going to be in this box (and there's plenty of other stuff in it that makes it still worth it), and it will be nice to have double the amount of product to sample. ...which I still haven't tried yet. I haven't been wearing a lot of foundation lately, and I'm one of those people who hordes their  foundation samples for times when I feel like wearing makeup, but when I'm not going anywhere important in case it looks weird. These situations don't happen often. unfortunately.
And we have another duplicate sample, though the other jar of this I got in my Allure Beauty Box, so it's technically not a dupe from Target's perspective. Like the Laneige sample, I don't mind getting another since it gives me more product to try. Plus, I've heard a lot of great things about the Derma e line of skin care products, so I'm definitely interested in giving this an extended try. It's also vegan, which is pretty cool.
And, finally, we got a set of Incoco Nail Polish Appliques. These are appliques made out of real nail polish (the box claims the Incoco is the world's first and only manufacturer of nail appliques) that are supposed to last up to ten days. I never have any luck with these types of nail appliques; they always end up bubbly and ragged from filing at the tips. I'm also a bit disappointed in the color I got; from what I've seen, there was a variety of different colors available (including glitter), but I ended up plain hot pink. I'm probably going to give these away without opening them since I'm almost positive I won't be able to get them to work, but I do appreciate the fact that this is a full sized product.

That's the February 2016 Target Beauty Box! Again, this box is no longer available (the March box has already gone up and sold out as well), but it gives a pretty good idea of the types and sizes of samples that Target puts in these boxes. I've been getting these boxes for a while now, and every single one has been worth the money; if you're interested in trying out a beauty sample box (and don't mind getting up early in order to get one), then I would highly recommend trying to get one of the Target boxes!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment