Sunday, March 13, 2016

February 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag - Pretty In #IpsyPink - Unboxing & Review!

Hello! I hope you're having a great day! I had a very long, drawn out opening talking about Valentine's Day and what-not, but I thought it would be better to just get to the point and show you guys what I got in my February 2016 Ipsy Glam Bag. Because that's really what you're here for.
The theme for February, as a subtle nod to Valentine's Day, is all things pink. Besides the Smashbox Primer Oil, which I think was the sample that almost everyone got this month, everything in my bag was pink!
The quick run-down: $10 a month beauty/makeup subscription service; five deluxe sized/full sized products; a unique and different makeup bag each month; more likely to get full sized products than other similarly priced services, but less likely to get mainstream brands (a lot of online only brands); there is a rewards program where you earn points for reviewing the products in your bag, but instead of getting money off a purchase, you exchange them for extra samples/products.
The bag we got this month is one of the cutest ones I think Ipsy has ever sent! It's another subtle nod to Valentine's Day and the idea of love letters; instead of a regular letter, though, it's a love e-mail! I love this bag so much, I think I'll switch out the one I currently have in my purse for this one (I have a Cinderella bag from Sephora that came out ages ago, when they had the Cinderella makeup collection).
Again, the theme this month is Pretty In #IpsyPink, and I like that it's more of an edgy kind of pink theme, instead of a sugary sweet one.
Same, boring social media information on the back of the info card. Sometimes I wonder how much money it would save them to not include these cards since they don't really add anything substantial to the bag, but I'd probably also complain that there wasn't one; something about including a card makes the bag feel "complete".
Going in no particular order (technically, it's the order the products were displayed in my Glam Room), the first product I got is a nail polish! This is a Ciate x Olivia Palermo collab polish in the color Sundays; "My Off Duty Nude".
Ciate is a polish brand that Sephora carries and it's one I'm not really interested in. It's not bad, and there are a lot of different colors and finishes, but I think it's way to expensive for what it is. I don't actively avoid it like I do with Nails, Inc, but I would only buy it if it was on sale.
This is a really sheer, shell pink nude, and unfortunately it's not really a color I'm interested in. There are five full size colors in this collab collection and you can get a set of four of the them in this same mini size. The full size polishes are 0.46fl oz for $24, making this 0.17fl oz mini worth about $8.87 (though normal mini sized Ciate polishes retail for $8-$9).
Ipsy is really good and introducing me to brands that I've never heard of (for better or for worse), and this next product is a great example of that. This is a Vintage by Jessica Liebeskind lip gloss in the color Pink Sequin.
This color is described as a  "light, sparkly icy-pink lilac" and it is definitely sparkly. This gloss has no scent/flavor from what I can tell, and I find that refreshing; there are a lot of times where I avoid using a lip gloss because it's either super minty or a fruit flavor that I can't stand, like watermelon.
This gloss has a brush applicator, and mine come with a runaway hair. I do like brush applicators, but they seem to get damaged a lot easier (and they always seem to come with one or two wonky hairs) than doe foot applicators, so I prefer those.
This gloss has a good texture; it's a little on the sticky side, but that means it was (hopefully) last longer. The color is quite pretty and there is a ton of sparkle. The full size is $21, which seems a little expensive (this is a common problem with these less known brands from Ipsy; for comparison, an Urban Decay lip gloss is $22), but I couldn't find any information on weight or volume, so I'm not exactly sure how this mini size compares. I'm going on the assumption that it's about a third of the size (it's 0.14oz/4g), so it's worth about $7.
If there's one beauty product I associate with the brand Smashbox, it's primer. They've based their brand around it and have been coming out with some interesting variations lately. This time around, it's a primer oil.
I believe this was a sample that almost everyone received this month; I saw it in a lot of different Instagram posts, plus it's the only non-pink product in my bag (not that Ipsy adheres to themes that strongly, but it seems like it was included as a requirement, if that makes sense). Based on the instructions and ingredients, I'm not sure what makes this a 'primer oil' and not just a regular oil. It promises to hydrate your skin and reduce the appearance of dry fine lines and you can apply it morning and night and on various parts of your body, including your hair.
I think they called it a primer oil to make it fit in with their primer line and to try and differentiate it from other facial oils, and not because it has any special priming abilities. There are a lot of different oils in it, including jojoba, sweet almond, and apricot. It also has argan oil, so unfortunately, I won't be able to give it a try. The full size is 1oz for $42. so this 0.13oz sample is worth about $5.46.
Back to the pink-theme, the next product I got is the Paula Dorf Enhancer in Baby Eyes. Which is kind of a creepy name for a color, but since it's supposed to make you look bright eyed and youthful, it makes sense.
This is a sharpen-able wooden eye pencil that you use to line your waterline to reduce any redness and make your eyes appear bright and more awake.
These types of pencils are hit or miss for me; if they're too light, it looks jarring and bizarre, but if they're too dark, it makes my eyes look even more tired and irritated. Right now, the perfect color for me is the NYX Wonder Pencil in Light, and this Paula Dorf pencil is a little darker and peachier, which concerns me. I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference, but only when I know I'm not going anywhere in case it doesn't work. The full size is 0.04oz/1.1g for $20, so this 0.02oz/0.5g sample is worth about $10 (for comparison, the NYX Wonder Pencil is less than $5 for the full size).
Finally, I got a sample of the Promise Organic Argan Creme Facial Lotion. Not necessarily a pink product, but the packaging is pink, so it fits the theme. I would like to try this product, but again, due to my allergy to argan oil, I will have to pass it on. I don't want to remove the safety seal since I am going to give it to someone else, so I don't know if this product has a scent or what the consistency/color is like (though I do really like that it's safety sealed!). The full size is $11.24 for 1.7fl oz, making this 0.5fl oz sample worth about $3.31.

Overall, I got five deluxe size sample products (though you could argue that the Ciate polish is full sized since you can purchase that size, just not individually) for a total value of $34.64. Had I been able to use the primer oil and the facial lotion, this would have been a good bag for me, but it seems like the only product I might get use out of, just due to my personal preferences, is the Paula Dorf eye pencil (and that depends on if the color looks good on me). Not a bad bag by any means, and I'm sure the people I'm going to pass these items on to will be quite happy to receive them, just not a bag for me.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment