Monday, February 15, 2016

January 2016 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month - Aladdin - Unboxing & Review!

Hello! I hope you're having a great Presidents' Day! Or whatever day it is when you're reading this, as it's only Presidents' Day for five more hours and it's pretty unlikely you're going to be reading this in that time frame. Yes. Well. Anyways!
For this post, I want to share with you my January 2016 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month indie subscription! I got immensly lucky and was able to sign up for another year of this service!
The rundown (not sure how quick this is going to be): Glamour Doll Eyes is an indie cosmetic company that makes mainly loose eye shadows/pigments, though they do carry other face and lip products and glitters; this is the Of The Month subscription service and it is $8 a month plus shipping; in the United States, this service ends up being $11 a month; you order this internationally, but the price increases as shipping costs do (though the base price stays the same); this is a hard subscription to get into since spots are very limited and the best way to get it is to join the Facebook group to get more info; the Of The Month is actually a special eye shadow created just for the month in limited quantities (there are "one offs" that are available to purchase without a subscription and popular colors sometimes find their way into the permanent collection) with a value of $6; you get "extras" which are other products from Glamour Doll Eyes (GDE) or from other indie companies, so you do get your money's worth each month.
Each Of The Month (OTM) comes in a drawstring bag (though there are exceptions; I've gotten OTMs in little boxes and stockings), which changes to make the monthly theme. GDE is very good at creating interesting and cohesive themes, unlike more commercial services which adhere to their themes loosely (if at all).
You also get candy every month! ...you may notice that it is missing in my open photo and that's because I ate it before I remembered I needed to take that picture. I got two watermelon flavored Jolly Ranchers and some watermelon salt water taffy.
You also get business cards; I seem to get two-three of GDE's cards (they have full pictures of customers wearing GDE products on the back) each month. The business cards of other indie companies are also included if they have a product sampled in the bag (though not always; there's another indie company's product in this OTM, but no card).
The info cards are very well-made and are designed to fit the theme! I love how opulent this one looks; very fitting.
The info cards seem a little more paired down from last year; it's possible this is just for this one card, but all the other info cards were two-sided in order to include all the information. Unfortunately, the Try More Indie (TMI) section is no more, and Vee (the owner/creator of GDE) said that she wasn't going to include a teaser for the next month's theme.
The OTM for this month is called Not A Prize.
Not A Prize is described as a "dusty dark purple with a subtle silvery red sheen topped off with red, pink, blue, and purple sparkle". It's also vegan, but not lip safe (I really like how GDE includes this info on the product labels).
I'm going a little out of order here, but I want to keep the two GDE products together. Along with Not A Prize, we also got Desert Prince, a highlighter/bronzer.
Whereas Not A Prince is a full sized shadow, this is actually a sample size bronzer (the face products come in much bigger jars and they all have sifters). Even though it is sampled size, you get more than enough product to last you a very long time! The color is described as a "glowy bronze with a light bronze and pink shine" and it's eye safe so you can use it as a shadow(which is how I think I'm going to get the most use out of it).
 Since these are loose pigments, you use them wet and/or on top of primer to intensify the color and shine. I chose to swatch them dry on bare skin because I like to see them at their sheerest (since it's all up from there!). Not A Prize is a little more sheer than I expected, but I know it will deepen up when foiled. It would also be quite pretty layered over other colors. I love Desert Prince and I think it will be a great all over the lid color on days where I want something shimmery, but still kind of natural.
Along with the other two GDE products, I also got two sample baggies of "remix" shadows; shadows that used to be permanent, but are now discontinued and 'remixed'. I don't think these are purchasable anymore (nor do I know if/when they were). I got Fabulous! Remix and Undercover Remix (I think the sample baggies were selected randomly).
The last product in this bag is the Shining Shimmering Spendid lipstick by Spectrum Cosmetics. I was actually pretty happy to see another product from Spectrum Cosmetics since I liked the lip scrub by them that I got in another OTM.
This is a skinny lip balm/lip tint shaped product, and the lipstick is fairly pigmented (though your natural lip color will peek through) and shimmery
The color is described as a "raspberry wine shade with a bit of gold sparkle", which is very accurate. It looks darker in the tube than how it applies and, while I don't mind a dark, vampy lip, that's not everyone's cup of tea so I think it helps make this a much more wearable, versatile product.

And that's my January 2016 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month! Very much worth the $11 I paid, and again, I am very happy I was lucky enough to get another year of this service! If you're interested in signing up, I highly recommend joining the Facebook page to get up-to-date information. I also highly recommend checking out the other products offered by GDE since it's an amazing indie cosmetics company!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment