Sunday, January 17, 2016

MAC Cosmetics - Dita Von Teese Lipstick - Swatch and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post, I want to share with you my MAC Cosmetics Dita Von Teese lipstick!
This is an online exclusive lipstick that released in a limited edition a month or so ago to coincide with Dita Von Teese's new book and it's now available again on the MAC website. I love Dita Von Teese and her pin-up/burlesque/vintage aesthetic, so I was super excited to see that she was collaborating with MAC on a lipstick; lipsticks are my favorite products made by MAC, and are pretty much the only products I buy on a regular basis from them! Dita Von Teese is a powerful, gorgeous woman, and anything she puts her name to has to be just a stunning.

If you're looking for an amazing matte red lipstick, then you'll want to click below to see my thoughts and swatches on this one!
I'm pretty sure I would have purchased this lipstick regardless of what color it was just because I love Dita Von Teese, but it being a vivid, matte red really sealed the deal.
The packaging alone is worth buying this lipstick; since this is a limited edition/specially packaged shade, it is a little more expensive than the regular lipsticks at $18, but it is completely worth it. Even the box is gorgeous! It features the promo image used for both Dita Von Teese's book and this lipstick release.
One thing I will say, and this is a fair point brought up by other beauty enthusiasts, is that it's kind of lame that Dita Von Teese isn't actually wearing this lipstick in the promo shots. The color is slightly different, and it's glossy; granted, she could be wearing the lipstick with a gloss on top, but since there is no gloss available in this "collection", it's misleading. MAC basically just took the promo shots for the book and used them for their campaign. If you purchased this lipstick based on the promo, you might be disappointed (but only for a little bit because the lipstick really is amazing).
Three of the four sides of the box have the promo image wrapped around...
While the fourth side has the normal information and barcode.
 The actual name of this lipstick color is Von Teese, and the finish it lists on the tube is matte (...because it's a matte).
The tube itself has a special patent black finish with Dita Von Teese's name in red along the bottom. I like that the tube has a unique finish, but I actually prefer the matte tubes of the permanent lipsticks; the patent black, while fitting with the pin-up/burlesque aesthetic, looks kind of cheap to me. Not sure at what point I started to associate "shiny" with "inexpensive", but apparently it happened.
The bullet also has Dita Von Teese's signature embossed into it, which is a nice touch. This lipstick has the traditional, yummy vanilla smell that all MAC lipstick have, and, even though it's a matte, it's very creamy and it applies smoothly.
The color is rich and true and it is incredibly wearable. I wore this for Christmas and every one complimented me on it. It is a matte, but it's more of a satin or demi-matte; it's definitely not as dry as other MAC mattes and my lips never felt dry or uncomfortable. The color wore incredibly well; I was able to eat and drink while wearing it without worrying about it smearing or rubbing off weirdly. I did reapply it a couple times throughout the day, but it was only to re-saturate the color, not to fix any patchiness.

The only downside I can think of (besides the shiny tube, which isn't even a downside), is that Dita Von Teese didn't really need to make a signature lipstick color; she's already stated that her go to lip color is MAC's Ruby Woo. I do like that MAC made a whole new lip color instead of just repackaging Ruby Woo, but for the people that want Dita Von Teese's look and who already own Ruby Woo, it's almost a superfluous purchase. I do think the formula of this lipstick is much more wearable than Ruby Woo, which can be quite drying since it's a retro matte, so if you don't like the retro matte formulas and/or you don't already own Ruby Woo, this lipstick is still a good purchase.

If you are looking for a good, matte red lipstick, buy this one. Even if you don't like Dita Von Teese, buy this lipstick. For $18, it's worth every penny. Heck, if this was $25, it'd still be worth it for how good it is.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment