Sunday, January 24, 2016

January 2016 Target Beauty Box - Renewal - Unboxing and Review!

I debating blogging about the January 2016 Target Beauty Boxes in one single post, but I'm glad I decided to split them into two individual ones; there are a lot of products in these sample boxes! I just posted about the Refresh box, so now I'm going to share with you the Renewal box.
Both of the January boxes were light on color cosmetics, but I believe the Renewal box was the more popular one since it contains a full size mascara and a BB cushion foundation sample. Like the Refresh box, this box cost $7, which included shipping (I paid $7.50 because of tax). Since the mascara retails for around $8, I definitely got my money's worth.

This box is no longer available, but Target does come out with these sample boxes about once a month, near the beginning.
As I mentioned in my Refresh box review, these are not subscription boxes; they are first come first serve and they sell out fast, especially if there are products that a lot of people want to try. The price of these boxes can vary based on the amount/value of the included samples, but they're around $5-$10, which includes shipping. Target doesn't promise that these will come out once a month, but that's been the trend up until this point; they seem to release on the first Monday of the month early in the morning.

Both the Refresh and the Renewal box had the same "Hello, New Year!" blurb on the front side of their info cards. They also both had a tear-off coupon for $3 off a $15+ purchase of skin care/hair care/cosmetics, which is useful if you want to purchase the full size of any of the items you got (you can use it on any hair care/skin care/beauty products; they don't have to be the products/brands that were sampled).
Like in the Refresh box, there are nine samples, though there are two full size products (three if you count the headband) in this box instead of just one.
I've gotten the full size of this product before in my Allure Beauty Thrills box, but I never tried it because I assumed I wouldn't like it. This is the Caress Love Forever Body Wash; it's formulated so that the fragrance lasts on your skin for 12 hours, which honestly is not that appealing to me. I have sensitive skin and heavily scented body care products often irritate it. The third ingredient in this product is fragrance (after water and SLS), so I'm pretty sure this will not agree with me. I also assumed that this body wash was rose scented based on the picture on the bottle, but after actually smelling it (I didn't the first time since the bottle was taped shut and I didn't want to mess around with opening it), it's not as bad as I thought it would be; it's definitely a floral, but it's an overwhelming rose scent.
Next up I got two generous packet samples of Attitude 2-in-1 shampoo and body wash and volume and shine shampoo. These are vegan, cruelty-free products that are made in Canada and are vegetable-based and biodegradable, which is why I'm assuming they went with this cardboard packaging instead of plastic bottles. I don't mind these types of packets, but I prefer them with resealable caps. I like the idea of more Eco-friendly, cruelty-free products, but I'm a bit skeptical about the "carcinogen-free" claim. Not that this product is not carcinogen-free, but I'm skeptical about the "carcinogenic-ness" of the blacklisted ingredients. There are a lot of products that we use in everyday life that are carcinogens in large quantities and while I don't deny that there are ingredients used in cosmetics and other products that can, and will, cause cancer and reproductive harm, it really depends on how often/how much/in what situation they are used. My favorite example is that my Clover crochet hooks came with a warning that they contained a chemical known by the state of California to cause reproductive harm. The handles are made out of ABS resin which poses little to no risk to humans in normal conditions, but which can become toxic at temperatures over 400°F. Probably not going to be using them at that temp, but thanks for the heads up, California. Sorry, soap boxing over!
This is one of the first instances that I know of (there may be more; I'm not 100% sure what was in the earliest boxes) where Target refused a sample, but I am glad they did since I wanted to try this product and missed out the last time! This is a sample of the Laneige BB Cushion compact, one of  the first cushion compacts readily available in the US! Laneige is a Korean brand; it's parent company is AmorePacific, which is carried at Sephora. In this sample you get three different shades of the BB product in light, medium, and medium dark (it also comes in dark, but it's not included in this sample unfortunately), along with an antimicrobial puff to apply it with. I've heard some people couldn't get two whole applications from this sample, while others claim to have gotten up to eight, so I think it really depends on your technique and desired amount of coverage.
In the Refresh box, the Scunci item (two braided hairbands) was more of an extra/bonus item, but in the Renewal box, it feels more like a free full size item! In the same vein as the hairbands, this is a braided headband with a no slip-grip for exercising/active lifestyles. I think these come in a two or three pack, so it's technically not a true full size, but it still feels more substantial than the two hairbands. You also get a coupon for $1 any Scunci hair accessory!
Next up is a full sized Degree Women Dry Spray in Fresh Energy. I know deodorant is one of those semi-beauty related products that most people don't really talk about because it's kind of boring, but I was actually excited to see that this was going to be included in this box. I really, really like the Dove dry spray deodorant, but it's a little on the pricey side (for drugstore deodorant, anyways) so I was hoping to find a less inexpensive option that works just as well. Pretty sure aerosol deodorant is terrible for you, but it's the only type of deodorant I've found that works with my body chemistry and doesn't ruin my shirts (...this is a very long and complicated tale that I won't get into here).
In the Refresh box, we got a sample of the Nivea In-Shower body lotion, and in the Renewal box we got Jergens' version! This is their Wet Skin Moisturizer with monoi oil; while you use it on your skin when it's wet like the Nivea lotion, you don't have to rinse this one off. I think I will prefer this kind of in-shower/wet skin lotion since the Nivea one has multiple warnings that it will make your shower/tub exceptionally slippery. Plus I don't have the best experiences with body conditioners that I need to rinse off. Definitely interested in giving this a try.
This is the other full size item we got in the Renewal box; the Revlon Ultimate All-In-One mascara. Revlon discontinued much of their mascara line and came out with a bunch of similarly packaged mascaras with different formulas for things such as volume, length, and curl. They are color-coded based on which formulation they are, and this red one is supposed to be, as it says, an all-in-one. This mascara is in blackest black (I'm assuming there are a few different colors in each formula to choose from since that's usually how drugstore mascaras go) and as far as I can tell, it's not waterproof, which is good. Waterproof mascara can be very harsh on your lashes so I try to avoid it as much as possible. I've heard mixed things about this mascara, so I don't really have any expectations for it right now.
Lastly, we got a Hada Labo Tokyo Anti-Aging Facial Mask! This is another one of those brands that I hear good things about, but never tried; even people I know who are staunch users of high-end skin care products will purchase these masks to use in their routines. Hada Labo is a Japanese drugstore brand (I think it was an actual drugstore, but I could be wrong) that made it's way over to the US; it's available at a lot of different places, but the ones I know of are Ulta and Target. I think the best part about these masks is that they are mineral oil free; a lot of even high end face masks have mineral oil, which is an incredibly cheap filler ingredient.This mask itself is a full sized product, but you purchase these in packs of four.

And that's the January 2016 Renewal Target Beauty Box! These boxes are always worth getting; I've yet to be disappointed by one (which is partly because you know what's going to be in them before you buy them, so you can decide if it's a good box for you or not) and the products are always worth more than what you pay. If you're interested in getting these boxes, I highly recommend following Nouveau Cheap's blog and/or instgram since she posts spoilers and alerts when the boxes go up for sale.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment