Saturday, January 16, 2016

Haul Time! Formula X, Kat Von D, Benefit, and More!

Hello! I hope you're having a great day! For this post, I want to share with you a small beauty haul from Sephora and Ulta.
I'll start with what I got using my VIB Rouge $25 off coupon...
Even though I didn't really have the extra money at the time, $25 off a $50+ purchase was too good of a deal at Sephora to pass up! I wanted to get as close to $50 without going over and, unfortunately, a lot of the items that I was interested in were already sold out (last time this deal happened, I camped out on the site until the coupon went live and had such a struggle with getting my order through and processed that I figured it just wasn't worth it and if things sold out, they sold out).
As always, I picked my three free foil packet (if that) samples; I really wanted to try the Benefit Air Patrol eye BB cream thing, so I'm glad I got that; the other two were just random things.
Since the $25 off coupon was inputted as a giftcard, I was able to get a gift with my $25+ purchase! I got one of the Cyber Monday mystery bags, because I love a good mystery (and all the other good samples were sold out). In the Cyber Monday bag, you were guaranteed a full sized Sephora face mask along with seven samples. A lot of the samples were foil packets, but I did get a couple deluxe sized ones, so I think it was worth it.
 ...Or I would have if most of the samples weren't things I knew I already did not like or could not even use. It's like Sephora doesn't even know me! The only samples I'm probably going to use are the PTR Oil-less Oil since that stuff is amazing and the Atelier Cologne perfume sample.
The face mask I got was the rose one, too. It's a $6 value, so it's a good sample, but I wish I had gotten any other mask in the line.
The one item I knew I wanted (besides the KVD Mi Vida Loca Remix eyeshadow palette which was totally sold out) was the Formula X and KVD polish and lipstick collab mini set in Poe.
I really like the KVD Studded Kiss lipsticks (though I have heard the minis don't perform as well as the full sizes) and I really like Formula X nail polish, so this is a match made in heaven! I went with Poe since it was the most unique color that I did not already own (or have something close to).
The lipstick is a standard mini Studded Kiss; it's exactly the same as the ones I got in the holiday set.
Poe is a deep navy blue with shimmer, and it's named after one of Kat Von D's cats! Piaf is also named after one of her cats, though I'm not sure if it would be a flattering color on me.
It's so pretty in the tube! Again, it's very comparable to the Studded Kiss minis I've gotten before.
It does take a little building up on the lips to get an opaque color, but I think if you layered this over a black lipliner you could easily get it opaque in one or two swipes.
 I actually wasn't sure if I would like the nail polish as much as the lipstick since I don't normally gravitate towards these darker colors, but I do!
There's a lot of depth to this color, more so than is in the lipstick (I think it's because of the extra shimmer) and it really is pretty. The formula is good, standard Formula X, and it wore well on my nails, even without base coat or top coat.
I've also been waiting to try this face mask from Too Cool For School; I actually just want to try everything from this brand, especially their Dinoplatz items. Because dinosaurs. Too Cool For School is one of the Korean brands that Sephora picked up in the last few months and this Egg Cream Mask sounded pretty neat! It's a $6 mask, which is a little expensive for a single sheet mask, but it's comparable in price to all the other sheet masks that Sephora carries.
At this point, I was trying to find the right combination of items to get my order up to $50 without going over, and I stumbled upon a deal where you could get five Formula X polishes for $10. Since these polishes retail for $12 or so individually, this was too good of a deal to pass up! The selection of qualifying polishes was small (partly because I already own so many...), but I found four the I would be happy to pay $2 a piece for. I say four since one of the polishes had to be Blast Off!, which is a black chunky glitter topper. I guess Sephora just had a ton of these sitting around...
 It's actually a pretty nice topper; it's interesting to look at and I like the variety of sizes and shapes it has.
There were a few polishes that were in the sale section that I've had my eye on for a while, and I was happy to see that some of them were part of this deal!
This is Rocket Fuel; it's a metallic dark sage green. I love these types of polishes, thought I know that some people aren't a fan of how prone this finish is to brush strokes.
The other polish I had my eye on is Torque.
 Torque is from the same collection as Rocket Fuel, and it has a similar finish. It's kind of a taupey gold and it's quite pretty and unique. Again, if you don't like a brush stroke prone finish, then you might not like this polish.
These next two I kind of picked blindly (I did look up swatches online, but I had never seen them in real life), but I'm quite happy with them. This is Revolution.
 It's a heavy silver and black glitter that is pretty much opaque in two coats. Since this is so glitter heavy, it does dry with a texture, but I love texture polishes, so that's just a bonus!
This is Extraterrestrial; it has a similar finish to Revolution - it's a heavy glitter that dries with a texture.
 I like this one a little more than Revolution; it really reminds me of an alien's skin or something similar. It's a black glitter with gold and iridescent glitter mixed throughout.
Finally, on a lark, and to get my order up to $50, I got a mim coffret of three L'Artisan Parfumeur perfumes! I've been curious about more niche scents lately, and I read some reviews of L'Artisan Parfumeur that were quite positive. In this coffret you get La Chasse aux Papillons, Mure et Musc, and Timbuktu, all classic and well known fragrances from L'AP.
The bottles are glass and very heavy, and you get a good amount of fragrance in them. I highly doubt I will go through one of these; I have a lot of fragrance sitting around... The one I was most interested in trying, Mure et Musc, ended up being the one I liked the least out of the three; the one that I thought I would like the least, La Chasse aux Papillons, ended up being my favorite! Mure et Musc is very unique (it's a blackberry musk), but on me it ends up smelling like fancy soap in an old lady's bathroom. Not an unpleasant smell, but not one that I want to smell like. I was worried that La Chasse aux Papillons would be very powdery (it's described as light and tender), but it's just very gentle and warm without that weird baby powder note that I hate. This coffret is a little expensive at $20, but again, you get a lot of perfume and it's way cheaper to try the scents this way instead of purchasing a full bottle.
Around this same time, I also had my 20% Ulta coupon; I didn't want it to go to waste so I took a peek there to see if anything caught my eye. I ended up getting a really good deal on the Benefit Real Cheeky Party blush palette!
I really wanted the blush palette Benefit had released for holiday season last year, but it sold out pretty quickly and I wasn't able to get it. Luckily, they made another one this year, and they made so many that they went on sale! This kit includes five Benefit cheek powders, a compact of the Watt's Up highlighter, and deluxe samples of the They're Real mascara and liner. It originally retailed for $42, but it was on sale for $30. After my 20% off coupon and some points, I only paid $24! I've heard that the quality of this palette is less than the one last year, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm going to make a post that focuses on this palette since I don't want to take up too much space here.
Along with my blush palette, I also got a deluxe sample of the Benefit They're Real tinted primer. This is now available for purchase, but at the time I got this, it had not been released. I do like the They're Real mascara, but it's not my fave. I do like that this is a brown tinted primer instead of a white tinted one since I struggle with coating my lashes evenly and fully and my white primer will often show through.
It's basically exactly the same as the They're Real mascara, right down to the wand. I'm curious as to what's different in the formulations; maybe this is just a repackage of the They're Real brown mascara. I haven't used this yet since it's been sitting on my desk ever since I bought it, but a lot of people that have tried it told me they really like it.
I also randomly got this It's A 10 Miracle Leave-In Lite for free! Not sure why, but I'm not one to say no to free things. I really like the original It's A 10 and am interested in giving this a try. Even though my hair is on the medium-fine side, the original formulation never weighs it down. I'm not sure if the Lite version is going to be strong enough for my dry,  frizzy curls. But we'll just have to see.

And that's my haul! Not much, but still fun to share. If you're curious about the Benefit Real Cheeky Party palette (not sure what it's availability is like now that the holidays are well over), keep on the look out for a separate post about it!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment