Monday, January 18, 2016

December 2015 Ipsy Glam Bag - With Love From Ipsy - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! I hope you're all having a great day! For this post, I want to share my December 2015 Ipsy Glam Bag with you!
Some nice things and...one maybe not so nice thing. But overall, this was a great bag, especially after I went and calculated the values of my samples.
Quick Ipsy Info!: $10 a month beauty subscription service, you also get a different cosmetic bag each month; more likely to get color cosmetics than in Birchbox; you can't buy a lot of the items you get directly from Ipsy, but many of them have discount codes you can use; there is a reward system where you earn points for reviews and referrals, but it's not as nice as Birchbox's since you can only redeem the points for certain products (similar to Sephora's point reward system) and they expire before you can really build them up without having a lot of referrals.
The makeup bag for December 2015 is a love it or hate type of bag; I personally really don't like it, but it is unique and can see some people really digging it. Even though I don't always like the bags, I'm glad Ipsy makes a new one for us each month since it adds interest. Normally, I have pictures of the "info cards" that Ipsy includes, but I guess I forgot to take a picture of the one for December (and I can't find it to take one now). They're pretty uninformative and don't list anything about the products you got, though the one for December does list the names of a lot of the beauty bloggers that Ipsy uses in their promos which is helpful for me since I have no idea who they are half the time...
Even though there are a variety of different bag configurations you can get each month, oftentimes, there will be one product that everyone (or nearly everyone) will get, and for December, it looked like a of people got these travel sizes of the It Cosmetics Hello Lashes! 5-in-1 Clinically Proven Mascara. There are a lot of things from It Cosmetics that I can't use because they contain argan oil, but this mascara doesn't and I find it be a pretty good, middle of the road mascara.I also just noticed on the back of this box that there is a coupon for Ipsy users that expired at the end of November. Hmm. This is the same size as the deluxe travel size you can purchase at Ulta, and it's worth $10.
This next product was super surprising; when I first opened my bag, I kind of took it as a cheapy throw in, but I was wrong!
This is a deluxe sample of Clark's Botanicals Deep Moisture Mask; the packaging is pretty low key and mine even felt a little greasy, like some of the product had leaked. The ingredients are listed in full on the bottom, and while they looked nice, I did not expect this mask to as expensive as it is. The full size is 1.7fl oz and it retails for $72! According to Ipsy, this sample is 0.5fl oz, which means this little pot is worth $21; double the cost of my whole Ipsy bag. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of products featured in Ipsy are online only brands that have really high retail values but which are always on sale, so I'm taking this value with a grain of salt, but I'm still really excited to give this mask a try.
A Briogeo sample that doesn't have argan oil in it! I've really wanted to try Briogeo's hair care products, but all the samples I've gotten have been products which have argan oil in them, so I've thus far been unable to. Which made me sad because a lot of people speak highly of the brand. But now, not only do I get a product without argan oil, it's even specially designed for curly hair! This is the Curl Charisma Leave-In Defining Creme and it is silicone-free and has avocado oil, quinoa extract, and rice amino acids. It also smells really good! The full size is 6oz for $18, so this 0.75oz sample is worth about $2.25.
Generally, my experience with Pacifica makeup has been sub-par, but I have to say, my first impressions of this lipstick are positive! This is the Power Of Love (such a cheesy name...) natural lipstick in the color Nudie Red.
Which is an amazing name, but also quite accurate.
This is a 100% vegan, cruelty-free lipstick which you can find at Target. There was a coupon on the box for 10% certain Pacifica items from Target, but it expired on January 15th (I hadn't seen it until now). The packaging is kind of cheap, but the lipstick itself is nice.
The formula is creamy and applied well, and the color is very appealing; it's a nude, but it's a red nude and I think it's super flattering. This is definitely a lip product I'm going to throw in my purse since it's pigmented enough to look polished, but it's easy enough to apply on the go. This is the full size of this item and it's worth $10.
I feel bad for Be A Bombshell; they sample their products in these bags to get their name out and to find new customers, but after using their products, I'm come to really not like them. I was actually kind of sad to see a Be A Bombshell product in my bag this month. This is a mechanical eye liner in the color Wild Child (it's a basic black).
The packaging of this eye liner feels super cheap; kind of like e.l.f. products. Unlike e.l.f. products, which retail for $1-$5, this eye liner retails for $14. I will say that I like that you can both turn this eye liner up and down (a lot of high end liners, if you turn them up, they're impossible to get to go back down), but it's not enough to justify such a high price.
I could forgive cheap packaging if the product itself performed well, but unfortunately, it still falls short. It's not very pigmented and it doesn't apply smoothly. There are so many other eye liners out there, especially in a color as basic as black, that work so much better and cost so much less, that this eye liner really isn't worth it. As I stated before, this is the full size of this product and it retails for $14.

And that's my December 2015 Ipsy Glam Bag! Overall, this was a very good bag, even with the Be A Bombshell eye liner. I ended up with three full size products (I count the mascara as full sized since you can purchase that size at Ulta) and two deluxe sized samples. The total value of my bag was $57.25, which is over five times what I paid for the bag. Again, I will say that you have to take Ipsy's product values with a grain of salt since a lot of the brands have extraordinarily high retail prices but constantly have their products "on sale", but even without the Be A Bombshell liner, which to me is worthless, by bag was worth $43.25.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment