Friday, January 22, 2016

December 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month - Romeo + Juliet - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! I hope you're having a great day! For this post, I want to share with you my December 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month!
The theme for December was not only Romeo and Juliet, but the Baz Luhrmann version of Romeo and Juliet, which is one of my favorite movies!
Quick run down of the Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month: a monthly subscription service by the indie cosmetics brand Glamour Doll Eyes; was $10 a month in 2015, now $11 a month to help cover shipping costs (the subscription itself is $8 and the price varies based on the shipping), always includes a special limited edition loose eye shadow called  the "Of The Month" valued at $6; very limited subscription at around 160 spots (it was 120 or so in 2015, now it looks like it's closer to 160); if you're interested, the best way to get this subscription is to join the Facebook group and add your name to the wishlist.
For December, and the last Of The Month ("OTM" from now here on out), Vee (the owner and creator of Glamour Doll Eyes), went all out and made us a bag worth over $50! Because the products were such high value, we did not get a charm nor candy this month (for 2015, Vee said she would try to include a charm in every bag finances permitting; she managed to give us one for every single month except December, so that's pretty awesome! You are also pretty much guaranteed to get candy, but again, if finances are permitting).
I just love the design of the info card! I find the Baz Luhrmann version of Romeo and Juliet so visually captivating; the music is also superb and I love that it's not an adaption or screenplay - it is read exactly the way Shakespeare wrote it. Before I start on the products, I wanted to quickly mention the Try More Indie section. The indie company for December is Copper and Kraft; unfortunately, the shareable code, ILOVEINDIE was only valid through the end of December. I love hearing about new indie brands, so I really liked the TMI section, but unfortunately, they will not be a feature of the OTM in 2016 (Vee has very sound reasons for this, so I respect her decision).
The first OTM shadow we got is Refuse Thy Name.
Refuse Thy Name is described as a "soft pink with a silvery blue sheen and blue and gold sparkle".
 I have two swatches since I couldn't decide which I liked more; the one on the left is more color accurate, but I like the sparkle in the swatch on the right. I swatch these loose shadows dry over bare, unprimed skin; you can greatly intensify the pigmentation and sparkle by using these shadows foiled or over a base/primer.
The other OTM for December is Artificial Knight.
Artificial Knight is a "medium to dark blue base with a red to orange shift and a blue and silver sparkle".
 Only one swatch this time, since I was happy with the color/sparkle, and again, like the swatch of Refuse Thy Name, this is done dry on bare, unprimed skin. Except for the very bottom right where there was some dampness left on my arm from my makeup remover wipe; you can see how much more pigmentation you can get out of these shadows when used wet. I love how well Refuse Thy Name and Artificial Knight work together in a look; I'm also kind of surprised to see that they are very close to the Pantone colors of the year...it's almost as if Vee is psychic!
On the back of the info card, it lists the four(!) other products we got! The 2016 OTM wishlist has already happened and the subscriptions have been claimed, but you can always join the OTM waitlist on the Facebook page in case any spots open up down the road.
Along with the two Of The Month shadows, we got two more Glamour Doll Eye products. The first is a highlighter/blush combo called Ancient Grudge.
Glamour Doll Eyes always packages their face powders with sifters, which usually help keep my jars clean, but I was a little overzealous when I was trying to get some out to swatch... Ancient Grudge is described as a "dark maroon/pink base with a glow of golden pink sparkle".
 I think this color of highlighter is super pretty; I love these warm, peachy pink colors for my face since they bring a lot of radiance and warmth to my complexion. This is a very blendable color and you can make it as sheer or as pigmented as you like.
We also got a Hydra Glaze, which is a lip gloss! Granted, I'm not the most familiar with Hydra Glazes (I only have one), but I don't remember if they've always come in this type of packaging; the one I have is in one of those squeezy tubes like the Juicy Tubes, but that might be because it's a sample or something similar.
This Hydra Glaze is called Fair Verona, and it is a "rose gold with a speck of holo glitter".
It has the standard doe-foot applicator, which is my preferred way of applying lip gloss (unless I am going to layer/mix it, then I prefer the hard plastic tips since they're easier to clean).

Also look at how pretty it is! This would be amazing layered over other lip colors, especially darker ones. I included the two swatches since the first one is more color accurate and the second one shows off the hint of holo-ness. So pretty.
The goodies just keep coming! After the four Glamour Doll Eyes products, we got two more from two different brands.  This is a Kiss My Sass perfume oil roller ball in My Only Love.
Kiss My Sass is another excellent indie cosmetic company, and I highly suggest checking them out if you're into indie cosmetics. Or cosmetics in general, really. My Only Love is a "vanilla blend with hints of honey and chocolate". Some of my favorite scents are vanilla based, but this one smells like chocolate to me more than anything else; and it's not a rich, true chocolate, it's more of a thin chemically chocolate, if that makes sense. It's not wholly unpleasant, but I'm not sure if this is going to work well with my body chemistry. I do love the rollerball, and the glass vial itself is very heavy and luxe feeling, so A+ on the packaging.
The last item in the December 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes OTM is surprisingly not from an indie company; Vee actually asked us in the Facebook group if we'd be okay with a non-indie product since a brand had reached out to her. We've gotten non-indie products before, but they are few and far between. We got a Starlooks Pro Luxe Longwear eye liner pen in black.
I needed a new felt tip liquid liner since my Urban Decay one had finally dried out (sad times since I don't think they make it anymore...), so I was quite happy to see this in my OTM! I've always been a little skeptical of the Starlooks brand (they seem like one of those brands who private label makeup and charge more for it than they need to so they can put it on sale and make you feel like you're getting a good deal), but I was impressed with one of their lip glosses that I got as a sample, so I'm approaching this product with an open mind.
The color seems very black and pigmented, it glides on smoothly, and it doesn't seem to feather much (all liquid liners feather on my hands; I think it's because they're so dry all the time) Overall, I like this eye liner, but I don't think it's worth the $19 Starlooks charges for it. The products from Starlooks seem to generally be good, but just not good enough for the price they want you to pay for them.

And that's my December 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month subscription! I know I mentioned in my November OTM post that I was thinking about possibly not resubscribing for 2016, but when the waitlist for the 2016 OTM went up, I sent in an e-mail thinking I wouldn't make the cut-off since it was so late in the day, and I ended up being able to sign up for another year of OTMs! The January 2016 OTM has already arrived (and I will hopefully get the blog post up for it soon) and I look forward to another year of indie surprises!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment