Friday, December 4, 2015

October 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month - Indie Subscription! - Unboxing & Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post, I want to share with you my October 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month subscription bag!
Glamour Doll Eyes is an indie cosmetics company (which is seriously awesome and I can't stress enough the high quality of both their products and their customer service) and each month they release a special subscription pigment called the Of The Month. In the Of The Month (hereafter called the OTM), you are guaranteed the OTM shadow and some extra goodies, either from Glamour Doll Eyes (GDE from now on) or from other indie companies. The OTM is $10 a month, which includes shipping (I think technically the subscription is $8 a month with $2 shipping. It ships internationally, but the shipping increases so it will cost a bit more) and it is very difficult to get since there are only about 120 spots open and people rarely cancel.

For October, Vee (the owner of GDE) decided to go with a Dexter theme! Another awesome thing about the GDE OTM is that all the products adhere quite closely to the theme; they aren't picked willy-nilly as seems to be the case with bigger subscription services.
 I already gave the rundown on what the GDE OTM is, so we can jump right on in! Normally, the OTM comes in a little drawstring bag, but for October, Vee went that extra mile and put it in an evidence envelope! If you're unfamiliar with Dexter, it's a tv show about a serial killer who kills only "bad" people. He's a blood splatter forensics expert and works closely with the police and leads, essentially, a double life. It's been ages since I've actually seen the show, and I've only watched the first season (maybe two), so I'm sure the story has changed significantly.

Seriously, how cute is that? Well, "cute" might not be the right word...
I'll start with the business cards; every month you get one or two GDE business cards, along with any business cards from featured indie companies. This month we got a card from Brija Cosmetics, who included a lipstick. I've always wanted to order from Brija, but I think they only accept Paypal (long story, but basically I can't use my Paypal for anything that's not personal).
We also get candy (nearly) every month! November actually didn't have any, but I think that was because of the theme (it will make sense when I get it posted). Going along with theme, this month is fingerprint dusting powder candy! Again, adorable.
It hasn't been guaranteed, but up to this point (and including November), we've also gotten a charm each month. This time it's a little knife. I'm really hoping to make a charm bracelet out of all the charms I've gotten this year, though I'm concerned about finding one that will work with all the charms.
I always love how even the info cards are themed each month! The OTM for October 2015 is called Hidden Insanity and the TMI (Try More Indie) company for October was Native War Paints. It was a shareable code, but unfortunately, it expired on 11/30. Regardless, go check them out since they make really awesome nail polish!
I'll start with the OTM itself, Hidden Insanity (is there an echo in here?).
It is described as a "fiery red with an orange gold sparkle sheen and a subtle blue and purple sparkle". It is inspired by Lila West and her pyromania (...not sure who that is. Again, I haven't watched Dexter in many years). How cute is that label! I am abusing the word "cute" all over the place...
Since this is a loose pigment, you can foil it to increase its intensity, or you can use it over a primer/glitter glue. I prefer to swatch these pigments dry and on unprimed skin since they're much easier to remove that way. The first picture gives an idea of the intensity, while the second lets the sparkle shine through. The middle part that looks matte is because I tapped it with my finger after I picked up a makeup wipe.
On the back of the info card, we get more information about the two extras for October, along with the theme for November (Diabetes and Pancreatic cancer awareness).
The first extra is from Brija Cosmetics; it is the Foiled Hearts lipstick!
It wasn't too pretty in the tube, but it didn't affect its application any. I just chalk it up to being hand-poured. With love! It's described as a deep plum mauve with added silver and blue sheen. It's in honor of Dexter's sister, Deb, who acts as his foil.
It has a pepperminty scent, which I'm not the biggest fan of, but that's a personal problem. The color is a nice, cool toned mauve, though I didn't catch much shine. It's not a matte finish, but it's not super glossy, either. It's a nice middle. The color did take a few swipes to build up, but besides that, I think it's a nice lip color. Plus, the ingredients are quite minimal and free of a lot of filler.
The other extra this month is from GDE and it's a Glitter Tube! These are literally tubes of glitter; there are a bunch of premixed color blends available on the website. You used to able to customize your own color blend, but I didn't see the listing for it, so I don't think Vee offers it anymore. I also wanted to include the disclaimer directly from the GDE regarding their Glitter Tubes:

"While our glitter is superfine milled, the FDA has not approved it for the use of color cosmetics in the United States. They have however been approved for all cosmetics uses in the European Union as well as have them the EU's REACH criteria. What makes it safe for European Countries but not for the United States is not known to me but just be warned this is NOT eye safe by FDA guidelines and is not advertised as an eye product. However if you choose to use this glitter on your eyes/face, do so at your own discretion. If irritation occurs, stop use immediately. "

If you've read my other blog posts, you'll know how I feel about FDA cosmetic standards versus those in other countries (tl:dr, I have a rather low opinion). REGARDLESS. The Glitter Tube we received is called Dirty Cop and it was inspired by Quinn (again, no clue).
The bottom of the tube lists the color blend, along with the sizes of the glitter pieces (this is important information in regards to safety and other applications such as using it in a nail polish). The color blend is described as a "mix of gunmetal blue, purple, red, and gold".
 I have two swatches again, one for sparkle and one for color, and I did swatch this over a base. Because it's glitter and wouldn't really stick otherwise. I used GDE Glitter Fix and it worked very well (just make sure to pat, not rub). Other companies offer glitter adhesion products, but the GDE and the e.l.f. are the only two I've tried (I much prefer the GDE one). I like the overall coldness of this blend, even though it includes red and gold. It's very...harmonious, if that makes sense.

Overall, another great GDE OTM! Sadly, this will be my last month (as in December; my subscription, as with everyone else, is only good for a year. I still have my November OTM to post, and the December one hasn't even been shipped yet and I'm super excited about it). As much as I love this service, I'm torn about signing up for another year. I have all these shadows now, and I've barely made a dent in any of them. There are a bunch of people on the waiting list who want to get this subscription and I want to let someone else enjoy it as much as I have! I think I'll try to sign up for another year, but, if I'm unable to, I won't feel bad about it.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment