Monday, December 7, 2015

November 2015 Ipsy Glam Bag - Beauty Blast - Unboxing & Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post, I want to share with you guys my November 2015 Ipsy Glam Bag!
Interesting products this month; not as great as Birchbox, but still leagues better than my Allure Beauty Box. One dud for sure (which I'll get to shortly), but definitely worth the $10 admittance price. Looks like we're continuing with the short intro trend...
Quick run down on Ipsy: $10 a month, very similar to Birchbox, five (or more) deluxe sample to full sized products a month plus a unique makeup bag, more likely to get full sizes than with Birchbox but they tend to be from online-only, sometimes overpriced brands, also more likely to get color cosmetics than with Birchbox, less awesome rewards program than Birchbox (earn points for reviews/referrals/talking about your bag on social media, have to spend them on a select group of products that "sell out" quickly, they also expire). If you like cheap thrills and color cosmetics, then Ipsy is right up your alley! If you're interested is singing up, I'd really appreciate it if you used my referral link here, otherwise you can directly to the Ipsy website and sign up there (I still don't know the validity of this, but I have heard that using someone's referral link and/or connecting Ipsy to your social media accounts gets you off the waitlist faster).
Out of all the subscription boxes I have either been or currently am subscribed to, Ipsy has the least informative info cards. They used to have cartoony graphics on them (some people didn't like them, but I thought they were okay), but now they have photos of popular beauty gurus/vloggers. The pictures are nice for inspiration, but most of the time I have no idea who's in the picture (I'm only like 90% sure that the girl on my right is Michelle Phan, and she basically owns Ipsy. Or something like that).
The backs of the info cards have been pretty much the same thing ever since I started; if you share your bag on social media, you could win a free year of Ipsy. Not sure if it's a monthly or yearly contest or what, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone saying they won. If you want to know more about what you got, it's pretty easy to look things up in your Glam Room. You also get access to any discounts the featured brands are offering that month (most of the codes seem pretty generic, so I'm not sure if you have to be an Ipsy subscriber to use them. You do have to be one to see them, though).
Unlike my other boxes, Ipsy also doesn't your samples in alphabetical order. Uh, not that that's particularly worth noting, but hey. First up is actually the product I was most disappointed in this month. This is a sample of Novex Haircare Brazilian Keratin Deep Conditioning Treatment. I saw this in pictures of other people's bags on Instagram and I was really hoping I wouldn't get it as well, but so it goes. I've gotten a sample of this product before, though I don't remember which box it was in (I'm pretty sure it was either Glossybox or Beauty Fix. Most likely Glossybox). Hair masks aren't really my jam, and more often than not they leave my hair feeling worse than before I used them. And this mask unfortunately was not an exception. This mask would probably work well for people with a different hair type (although masks seem to be made explicitly for my hair; it's dry, frizzy, processed, and curly), but it's not for me. You can buy a few different sizes, but I used the medium size to calculate the value of my sample (there's a smaller size that cost a little more per ounce and a bigger size that cost a little less). The medium full size is 14oz for $8.99, making this 3.5oz sample worth about $2.25.
Ah, a brand I never seem to get tired of saying...Jelly Pong Pong! This is a tube of Liquid Gossamer from Jelly Pong Pong. I've actually known about Jelly Pong Pong as a brand for a while now (I got a lip crayon from them in a Glossybox), and it seems like their products are popping up in more and more subscriptions now. When I first saw this, I thought it was a repackage of a product I got previously from Birchbox, but they are actually two different things (even though they sound suspiciously similar). I got Glow Getter from Birchbox, which is a highlighter in a format like Benefit's High Beam. This is a highlighter that's in a tube. Science. But seriously, even though this has a different name and different packaging, it sounds like the same thing. It is a water-based, 78% natural highlighter that has light-refracting, coated mica particles. It has no parabens, which is nice, but since it's also water-based, it will probably go bad a lot faster than if it did have them. This 0.27 fl oz tube is apparently the full size of this product. It also apparently retails for $22.95. That's reaching BECCA prices...
One thing that I do really like about Ipsy, and one of the things that keeps me coming back, is that you always seem to get a good mix of well-known and relatively unknown brands and products. I love trying new things, but I also like getting samples of products I already know and love; Ipsy is the best of both worlds (although Birchbox is getting to be a bit like that, too). This is a sample of Smashbox Full Exposure mascara and, I'll be honest, if you're a makeup junkie and you have yet to try this mascara, I'm not sure if you can call yourself a makeup junkie (an enthusiast for sure, but not a junkie). This is a pretty standard mascara, and it's one of the few things I like from Smashbox. According to Smashbox, this mascara gives you a 104% increase in volume, 32% increase in lash length, and 34-degree increase in lash curl. Neat. The full size is 11.2mL for $20, so this 3mL sample is worth around $5.35.
Next is a brand that's completely new to me, INSPR. Before I looked up the product information for this post, I had watched Baily B's Ipsy unboxing on Youtube. She got this eye shadow sample as well, and was kind of surprised that she couldn't find anything like it on the INSPR website. The closest she found were pressed eye shadow singles that looked similar to the Melt Cosmetics packaging. The singles are $13 each, though there is no weight listed for them. Without knowing how big the full sized shadows are, I don't really have a way to calculate the value of this sample.
Everyone who got this shadow got the same shade, Carnival. Another oddity I found on the website versus this sample is that the eye shadow colors on the site were just straight descriptions, no names. I don't even know if there is a full sized shadow that corresponds with the sample color. These are supposed to be long wearing and crease resistant and they can be applied sheer or layered for more intense color (a lot of Asian eye shadows perform like this). I...actually didn't open mine or swatch it because I don't think I'm going to be keeping it. I already have so much eye shadow that, unless it's a super unique color, or a high-end brand, I don't need it. Also, the first ingredient is talc, followed by dimethicone, which is kind of sad.
Finally, I got another treStiQue product (which is annoying brand to type out properly). This is the Mini Matte Lip Crayon in the color Chile Red (Ipsy lists it as Chili Red, but the packaging and treStiQue website say Chile Red).
This packaging is identical to the eye crayon I got from them, even down to the rounded tip of the product
If you got this sample, you could have gotten one of three colors: Chile Red, Florence Fig, or Nantucket Nude. I really like reds, so I'm glad I got Chile Red, but Florence Fig looks pretty, too. These minis also look a lot different from the full sizes, which seem to include a lip balm in a coordinating color (you can also buy the lip balm separately and connect it to any color you want). These lip crayons have vitamin E and Monoi Tahiti butter for hydration and they are buildable (I hear they can take a few swipes to be opaque). A full size crayon with a balm is $28, but you can buy a trio of these minis for $32, making this single mini worth about $10.67.

Overall, I got one for sure full size product and four deluxe size samples, with a total value of $41.22. Which is not including the eye shadow because I have no idea what it's worth. Again, a much better value than my November Allure Beauty Box, and for $5 less!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment