Friday, December 11, 2015

Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Remix Studded Kiss Lip Set - Swatch & Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post, I want to share with you my swatch and review of the Kat Von D Mi Vida Loca Remix Studded Kiss Lip Set.
Kat Von D is a Sephora exclusive brand (it's actually made by Sephora; it tends to be higher quality than the Sephora in-house brand so the higher price tag is generally worth it) and for the holidays, they released two Mi Vida Loca Remix special edition sets: this Studded Kiss lipstick set and an eye shadow palette. I purchased this with my VIB Rouge 20% off coupon, and I debated between this set and the eye shadow palette. Unfortunately, the eye shadow palette is no longer available; I believe this is due to the fact that it has bright, vibrant colors that may be made out of pigments that are not FDA approved; these types of pigments are not FDA approved only because they have not been cleared as safe, it does not necessarily mean that they are not safe. They are cleared for eye use in the European Union, which has stricter safety requirements for cosmetics than the US. I love this set and I am happy I purchased it, I just wish I had gotten the eye shadow palette when it was still available!
I already mentioned that this set is exclusive to Sephora; as of right now, it is still available online and, when I last visited my local Sephora, it was still in stock in-store. It retails for $42 and is said to be a $91 value. Sephora is pretty good at listing accurate retail values of products in their value sets, so I trust their calculations. This set includes one full size Studded Kiss lipstick in special white packaging and seven mini lipsticks in the standard black packaging. The minis are a little under half the size of a full size lipstick (they're 40% of the size) and a full size Studded Kiss lipstick retails for $21. This is also my first experience with the Kat Von D Studded Kiss lipsticks! I remember when they first came out, I watched a bunch of reviews and a lot of people weren't fans of them; Sephora reformulated them and now lots of people rave about them. I have heard that the quality of the mini lipsticks tend to be less than the full sizes, but that they are still better than the original formulation.

The back of the box lists all eight lipsticks you get, along with color descriptions.
The packaging inside isn't very pretty, but it serves its purpose. I do wish that companies would seal boxes like this; even just a plastic sticker or something so you can tell if someone opened them up. All of my lipsticks were perfect (one of them was nicked, but it looked like it happened in the factory instead of from someone tampering with it), but I have heard of people picking up these sets only to find that someone had already used them. I always feel really awkward opening stuff up and checking them in the store, so I wait to get home to do it; it makes it even more frustrating if things are messed with since then I have to go back and try and exchange it.
 Enough tangents, let's get to the lipstick! For some reason, I didn't get a full tube shot of any of these lipsticks, but you can kind of see them in the packaging picture; they are the same studded plastic tubes as the regular Studded Kiss lipsticks. The packaging feels surprisingly low-quality, especially for a $21 lipstick. The studded design does look cool and it's definitely different from my other lipsticks, but it feels super lightweight and it just seems...cheap, I guess. There is attention to detail with the Kat Von D logo embossed on top and the way the studs line up when you close it (it's really hard to tell where they open from when they're closed), but I wish the materials used were a little nicer. This is the special limited edition Gold Blooded, so it has a white tube instead of the normal black. Right now, this is the only white-tubed lipstick and the only way to get it is in this set.
The lipstick bullet also has the Kat Von D logo embossed on it; the other full size lipsticks have this embossing, but the minis do not. These lipsticks also smell really good; they're supposed to smell like creme brulee, but to me they just smell like a slightly sweet vanilla (which is close to creme brulee, but I feel like it's missing a caramel note).
 Two swatches because I can't decide which I like more! These are in slightly different lighting, so it brings out slightly different aspects of the color. On the box, Gold Blooded is described as a "ballad of gold-laced blood-red shimmer", which is pretty accurate. I find this to lean a little on the tomato-red side, and it has a slight warmth to it, but it's not orange at all. The shimmer is very subtle, but it is there. When you're wearing it, you have to be super close to see it, or be standing in the right lighting. When I swatched this, I was worried that I would not like this color; is felt super dry and grainy. The first time I wore it, as I was applying it, I got the same dry, grainy feel, but the more I applied it (I didn't layer it, I just swiped it a few more times), the better it felt. After it was on, it was super comfortable to wear; it wasn't drying even though it does dry down to a semi-matte finish and it wore for a really long time (I did take it off before I ate so I don't know how it wears through eating and drinking). This color is super flattering on me and is definitely something I will reach for again.
Now to the minis! The first one here is Halo. All of these minis are available in full size and this guy is a newer color in the Studded Kiss collection. The mini tubes are also exact dupes of the full size tubes, down to the Kat Von D logo embossed on top.
On the back of the box, this color is described as a "high-octane orange" and on the Sephora website, it is a "neon clementine". Both are accurate, though they leave out the really subtle shimmer this color has. I also wanted to mention that, unlike the full size lipsticks, the minis don't wind down all the way, so you have to be careful to not nick your lipstick when you're closing it. It's a minor thing, but it is frustrating and it seems like a design oversight.
Only one swatch this time; I had a more clear one, but the lighting made it looked more pastel than it actually is. It's definitely a bright orange, though I don't think it's as bright as MAC Morange. Plus, this swatch brings out the shimmer a little more. No one is going to think you're wearing a shimmery lipstick, even if they get super close to you; it adds more of a "glow" to this color, which makes it look even more bright and "lit up".
 This is another newer color to the Studded Kiss line; NaYeon! Both this and Halo were released for Fall 2015.
The back of the box describes this color as a "heavy-metal hit of gunmetal shimmer" and Sephora.com calls this a "pitch black with gunmetal shimmer".
The shimmer looks super intense on the bullet, but it doesn't translate that way on the lips; it looks like an all over metallic sheen instead of the individual pieces of glitter you can see in the tube. As far as black lipsticks go, this isn't the darkest I've tried. I wouldn't call this a pitch black, it's almost a deep charcoal (thought that may be because the shimmer lightens it). It'd be interesting to see how this compares to the other black in the Studded Kiss line, Slayer.
This is Coven; this color is one that I saw a lot of people try in the reviews I watched of the first formulation, and it was one of the least liked. It was super dry and chalky, which tends to happen to these matte pastel purples. I was excited to try this color, but I was also worried.
After ten different photos, this was the least blurry one... The back of the box and Sephora.com have the same description for this color: a "matte lavender". It is a very cool-toned pastel purple.
As you can (hopefully) see in my swatch, this is a dry lipstick. I will say that a lot of these lipsticks apply and wear much better on the lips than they swatch (Gold Blooded, for example), but I have yet to try this on my lips so I don't know about this one. Honestly, I think I prefer my NYX Liquid Suede lipstick in Sway for my pastel purple lip needs; it both wears better (I'm assuming) and it's a lot less expensive.
This little guy is Sexer. The back of the box describes this as an "iridescent hot pink" and Sephora.com says it is an "iridescent florescent pink".
I think this has a subtle shimmer similar to Halo, but it's so hard to see it that I'm not 100% sure.
If it does have any shimmer, it's just for the same "glow" effect that Halo has; there won't be any detectable glitter on your lips. This is a nice hot pink, though it's not a very unique color. If you want to give it a try, and you don't want to drop the $42 on this set or the $21 for a full size, you can get this color in a special matching lipstick and nail polish duo from Sephora for $15 (Coven also comes in a mini lipstick and nail polish duo, though I really can't recommend trying Coven when there are other, better pastel lavender lipsticks out there).
Next is Wolvesmouth; I love the name of this one!
Wolvesmouth is described as a "metallic berry" on both the box and on Sephora.com. It looks metallic in the tube, but on the lips it seems more like a frost to me (...I had to look up exactly what the difference between the two were and according to Bustle.com: "Where frosts tend to have more of an opalescent or icy shininess to them, metallics seem to have underlying gold or silver shimmer to give a more foiled effect.").
Unless they're super vampy, I tend to find berry colors this this a little boring and a little aging on me. It's a great color, though, especially for fall and winter, and it will flatter a lot of different skin tones. The metallic/frost finish adds some interest to it, but it's still a pretty standard, middle-of-the-road kind of color.
This is Bachelorette and it's apparently one of the cult favorite shades (it's currently sold out online in the full size).
Both Sephora.com and the back of the box describe this color as a "reddish fuchsia" As I'm going through these lipsticks again, I'm noticing that the matte finishes have a much stronger vanilla scent than the other ones. Interesting.
This is another color that I find uninteresting. I don't think it's very unique, though I don't know of any dupes off the top of my head. Like Wolvesmouth, I think this color flatters a lot of different skin tones and is very wearable, but unlike Wolvesmouth, it doesn't have anything to set it apart. Unless you're dead set on this color and can't find a dupe that satisfies you, I wouldn't say this is a "must-buy". It's a cult favorite for a reason, though, so maybe there's something I'm missing.
Lastly, we have Noble. Oddly enough, this was the color I thought I'd get the least use out of in this set (a sentiment I still agree with, although this is another cult favorite, so maybe I'll come to love it).
Both the box and Sephora.com describe this color as a "matte petal pink nude". I'm curious as to why some colors had different descriptions, while others had the exact same ones. I am leaving out some of the more magical words from the box, but some descriptions are quite different regardless.
My lips are naturally pretty pigmented, so when I use these lighter types of nudes, I end up looking super washed out. I looked up some swatches online, and it looks surprisingly flattering on a lot of different people, so I'm wondering if I'm the exception and not the rule. Even though this is a matte, it felt softer when I swatched it than some of the other colors (especially Coven, which was the worst performing color in this set).

Overall, I think this is a great set! There is a lot of variety here, and there are a lot of colors that everyone can get some use out of. The full size, Gold Blooded, is such a gorgeous color that I would say it's worth getting the set for it alone (granted, then you're paying $42 for what is essentially a $21 lipstick, but this is currently the only way to get it). This is a nice introduction to the Studded Kiss lipsticks and it's a good way to experiment with some colors you might not normally use. Even though I wasn't a fan of all the colors (due to them being "dull", not that they are bad), with the exception of Coven, all the lipsticks performed well and I would happily buy a full size based on these minis (especially with the knowledge that the full size perform better than the minis do).

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment