Friday, October 2, 2015

NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick - Stone Fox, Vintage, and Sway - Swatch and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post, I wanted to share with you guys three colors of the new Liquid Suede Cream Lipsticks from NYX!
This was a much anticipated release from NYX, and after purchasing and trying these guys, I totally understand all the hype. These are liquid lipsticks that dry down to a budge-proof, water-proof matte finish. I like to think of them as Soft Matte Lip Creams but 500x better. Seriously. These retail for $6.99 each ($7 on the NYX website, $6.99 at Ulta, where they are also on sale right now for buy two get one free) and are currently completely out of stock online. I got mine from Ulta, because I know how long it can take for products to restock on the NYX website. I don't know if other NYX retailers, like Target, currently have these in stock as well, nor what their prices are, but I assume they're the same as Ulta. While I wanted all of the colors, I went with three that were most unique to my makeup collection (though I knew for sure that I needed Stone Fox).


Since it was the one I knew I wanted from the moment these were announced, I'll start with Stone Fox!
NYX describes this as a "deep grey with a blue undertone" and it so suuuuuuper pretty.
It's definitely different, but it's really wearable, at least for my skin tone/hair color. I have platinum hair, which makes it easier to wear more extreme colors since they don't have to compete with much other coloring on my face (if that makes sense), but it actually looks quite nice on me! It starts off more deep grey, but I think it fades a little more blue as time wears on. Or I could just be imagining it. I wore this color at work and it seriously stayed on the whole time, even through eating and drinking, without any touchups. No flaking, no patchiness, nothing. After I got home, I tried licking my lips as an experiment and it did not budge. Seriously! It was super weird; it almost felt kind of velvety/rubbery on my lips, like how a NARS compact feels. I used my normal oil-based makeup remover and it took it off without any problems; it also did not stain my lips at all.
The other color, out of the three, that I have worn to work is Vintage.
Vintage is described as a "plum with mauve undertone", which is surprisingly accurate. I was about to dispute the description, but then I looked at my tube again and yeah, that's probably the best way to describe it! This color also wore beautifully, but not quite as well as Stone Fox did, which is interesting (though I have had issues with these kinds of colors from NYX in the past). It took a few more passes than Stone Fox to build up to full opacity, and I noticed that it got kind of thick near the inside of my mouth (you have to be very careful and much sure you apply these accurately or they can look kind of off) and I could feel it flake a little, but only when I licked it (gross, I know). This color did require a touch up or two through out the day, but it felt as nice to wear as Stone Fox did. Even though these are mattes, they are not drying and it almost feels like you're not wearing anything at all, at least until you touch it with your tongue, then you get that weird texture. I think these are way better than the Soft Matte Lip Creams since you're getting essentially the same matte effect from a liquid lip product, but without the patchiness, flakiness, or dryness (some colors of the Soft Mattes are worse than others, but I think they're all pretty drying). Again, this color removed easily with my oil-based makeup remover and it also did not leave a stain.
The third color I got is Sway.
NYX descirbes Sway as just a basic "lavender', but it's definitely a bright, almost neon kind of lavender. I have not worn this one yet, and I purchased it mostly because I don't have any other lip products in this color!
When I first used these lip creams, I wasn't very happy with the applicator. It's like a long, angled doe foot and it's not one that I am used to using. There is a learning curve, but after you get it, it's actually quite nice! You can use the thin edges to precisely line your lips (which is very important since these are opaque, strong colors), then use the flat sides to fill in big areas.
Here is a quick hand swatch, before the colors had a chance to dry down. They are shiny at first, but after about a minute (maybe more depending on how much you needed to layer) you get a very nice, matte finish. Top to bottom is Stone Fox, Vintage, and Sway.

Overall I would highly recommend these lip creams, especially if you're already a fan of the Soft Matte Lip Creams! While there are some more extreme colors in this collection, there are also very wearable, even neutral ones, like Soft Spoken and Tea & Cookies. If you're interested in picking these up, please call ahead to make sure that they are still in stock in the colors you're looking for since these are very popular right now and are totally sold out online (at least through NYX; they're in stock right now on the Ulta website).

Thank you for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment