Saturday, May 30, 2015

Sephora Favorites Bronze Bares-All Set - Unboxing, Swatches, & First Impressions!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post, I wanted to take a more in-depth look at the Sephora Favorites Bronze Bares-All set!

This was part of my #TreatYoSelf haul (if you're getting sick of seeing these products, don't worry, it's almost over!), but I did a separate video on it (and now this separate blog post) since I wanted to take time to swatch and talk about my first impressions about all the fun products in this collection.

I love these Sephora Favorites sets and I love bronze colors for summer, so I was really excited when pictures of this set first showed up on Instagram! I kept checking to see if this set would pop up in store, but I have yet to see it in the wild. I ended up purchasing my Bronze Bares-All kit online, which actually ended up being better since I got a special bonus sample!
Ooo, look at all the pretties!
Since this was an online order from Sephora, I got free samples!
Fairly boring, standard foil packet samples, though I am excited to try the lip scrub/balm duo and it will be nice to have a little packet of the FAB Ultra Repair cream in my bag. That stuff is magic.
Significantly more exciting is my Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Basics deluxe sampler set! This was a special VIB Rouge sample that you could get with a $35 purchase (most deluxe samples are with a $25, but the bigger VIB Rouge exclusive samplers are with a $35 purchase since they tend to be worth a bit more). I'm not too familiar with Bobbi Brown products, and I've noticed that people seem to be kind of divided on the brand, so I really wanted to give it a try.
There were three deluxe sized sample products in this set: a Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick in Bark...
...a Long-Wear Eye Pencil in Jet...
...and a bottle of Instant Long-Wear Makeup Remover!
The eye pencil and shadow stick are super creamy and pigmented; it's kind of sad they're such basic colors, but I suppose that works in their favor since everyone can use them. I haven't tried the makeup remover yet, but honestly I don't expect much from it; in my experience, all liquid waterproof makeup removers perform pretty much the same.
And now for the main event! As I said, I love bronze colors for the summer and this kit is chock-full of them! I love how you have an entire face in this box; all you have to add is a BB cream/foundation, a concealer, and a brow product. This set retails for $39 and includes eight products. Three of the products - the NARS lipgloss, the Sephora eye pencil, and the Urban Decay eye shadow - are full sized; the rest of the products are deluxe sample size. Sephora says the retail value of the products is about $109; I did not calculate any values, but Sephora is generally pretty accurate with theirs, so I trust them. The box is made out of sturdy cardboard and, after removing the plastic insert, is reusable. And beachy!
The back of the box lists all eight products, along with their ingredients and sizes. I'll go in the order that the items are on the back of the box, just to keep things organized.
 The first product is a deluxe sample of the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Opal.
I love Becca products, and I'm happy to get a sample of a product that I don't currently own! I now have two of these pressed highlighters; one in Rose Gold and now Opal. Opal is more of a champagne color and is a great highlight for a lot of different skin tones. I'm not sure, but I think this sample is a little smaller than the one I got in my Best Of Becca set; at the very least, the packaging is a lot more simple and, presumably, cost-effective.
Next is a sample of the Formula X nail polish in the color Evocative.
 I love the Formula X polish formula and this is a really nice, neutral-warm beachy color. I don't normally wear browns because I don't like how they look with my skin tone, but this color seems to be surprisingly wearable. It's a cream finish, so I might layer some glitter on top, but I will definitely wear this.
I've gotten a few of these Bite Beauty High Pigment Lip Pencils before and I have loved every single one! Bite Beauty makes excellent lip products and they use food-grade ingredients so, come the apocalypse, you can eat them. You can eat them now, too, but that seems wasteful.
 The color of this pencil is Madeira and it's a perfect peachy nude! I always struggle with nude colors (they either look too brown, too pink, or too dead), but this one is super pretty! I think it helps that it's just a bit on the sheer side, so it's more natural looking. It's very creamy and applies well.
On to the first full sized product! This is the one that a lot of people are most excited about; it's a NARS lipgloss in the color Supervixen.
The lettering on the label was pretty teeny and my camera was struggling to photograph it, so I gave up. But look at that swatch! Online they say this is a "sheer sparkling mauve"...but to me it looks more copper/bronze. I suppose it does have a hint of mauve to it, but I definitely would not call it that. Regardless of what color it is, it's super pretty, both on it's own and layered over other colors. Like the Madeira lip pencil!
Back of box information of the next four products; this group has two full sizes!
The first product in this group is a full size! This is a Sephora waterproof 12HR Wear Contour Eye Pencil in the color Cocoa-Shimmer.
 I've used Sephora-brand eye products before and haven't been too impressed, but this pencil is super creamy and pigmented! I think I've only ever used the Nano liners in the past, which have always seemed kind of dry to me, so I've avoided purchasing the bigger liners. But now, I think I might have to try them out and see!
 Out of all the samples in this kit, this one was the most disappointing for me. This is a sample of the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer. It's a great bronzer; it's pigmented and it smells like chocolate, it's just that I have a ton of samples of this already and I have the Bonjour Soleil palette from last summer still. If you're a beauty junkie, chances are you have this laying around in some shape or form already so I kind of wish they had included a different bronzer in this set (I would say NARS Laguna, but again, everyone probably already has a sample of that somewhere).
This was also the "cheapest" looking sample; I'm pretty sure this is the same deluxe sized sample that the Too Faced website gives you with your orders and that Ulta gives away sometimes. I do like that the packaging is a bit more Eco-friendly (seriously, think about all the plastic wasted just by makeup), but it doesn't feel as nice as the other products in this set. Again, excellent product, but kind of boring and sad packaging.
Unfortunately, this was the other disappointing product in this kit. This is the tarte The Sculptor Contouring Face Slenderizer in Park Ave Princess.
This is a cream bronze/contouring product in a chubby stick form. I remember when this first came out there was a lot of buzz about it since there weren't a lot of products like this available, but I haven't heard much since.
I'm really glad this product was included in this set because I got to try it without having to waste my money on a full size (and then possibly returning it and making Sephora throw it out), but it's not my cup of tea. It's really orange, so I don't think it will work as a natural-looking contour for me, plus it has a weird, thin texture that blends out into nothingness. I have other cream contour products that I think are way better (the NYX Wonder Stick is really good) and I can't really recommend this one to anyone. I'm going to try to use it more like a cream bronzer and see how that works, but again, it blends out so sheer that I don't know if it's even worth it.
The last product in this group (and kit!) is the last full sized item! This is a special Urban Decay eye shadow duo in Half-Baked and Twice Baked.
While the shadow itself is full sized (and in a full size compact that you can pop out like other Urban Decay shadows and put in a palette), I don't think you can buy this duo on it's own. I love Urban Decay eye shadows, especially after the reformulation, and these are both highly pigmented, useful colors.
Similar to the Too Faced Chocolate Bronzer, though, I feel like a lot of people already own both of these shadows since Urban Decay includes at least one of them in every palette ever (actually, I was looking at the palettes out now and I only saw Twice Baked in a few of them). It is nice that they are together in a small shadow compact, though, so if you're going to the beach or on a weekend getaway, you can throw this in your bag and be happy that that's pretty much all you need for a super pretty beachy shadow look.

And that's the Sephora Favorites Bronze Bares-All set! For $39, I think this set is totally worth it, even with the dud tarte contour pencil and the ubiquitous Too Faced bronzer. As I said before, you get a full face look in just one box and I feel like the sizes of the products are big enough where they will last all summer (and even a little beyond!). Not sure when, or if, this will be in stores, but I do know it's currently available online. I have seen this sell out once already, so if you know you want it, I wouldn't wait too long to get it!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment