Friday, May 29, 2015

Make Up For Ever Artist Palette Vol. 2 - Artistic - Swatch and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post, I wanted to take a more in-depth look at my new Make Up For Ever Artist Palette Vol. 2 - Artistic! This palette was part of my recent #TreatYoSelf haul, but I also did a separate video with my first impressions and live swatches.
I've had my eye on this palette for a while now, and I purchased it from Sephora.com as soon as I had the extra money. I've heard a lot of really good things about MUFE's gel-powder formula and, since I've never owned any MUFE shadows before, I figured a palette would be the best way to experience them!
I believe you can buy all the colors included in this palette separately, but at $42 for nine different shadows, I would recommend picking up the palette if many of these colors interest you.
As I said above, I ordered this palette from Sephora.com. There are currently two different versions of this palettes available; Vol. 1 which is all nudes and Vol. 2 which is full of colors. The Nude one is permanent (for now) and is exclusive to Sephora (at least according to the website) and this Color one is limited edition and also exclusive. I'm not sure how long this palette will be available, but I'm assuming it will stick around through the summer. I'm interested in seeing if MUFE will release more of these palettes; a full sized Artist Shadow single is 0.07oz for $21 and in this palette you get 0.54oz of product (9 shadows at 0.06oz each) for $42 so it's a really good deal. The only downside to these palettes is that the shadows are not interchangeable; if you run out of a color you like you either have to buy another palette or the full size of that shadow. This is true with many palettes out there, so it's not a unique problem or anything.
Because I purchased this as an online order, I got free samples! These are the three free foil packet samples that you can get with every order. I was kind of surprised to see a mascara sample; I've already tried this mascara and I wasn't a huge fan of it, but I was curious about how they would make a less-than-deluxe size sample.
For placing an order that was $25+, I also got to pick a free deluxe sized sample. I went with the Belif The True Cream - Aqua Bomb because I am a skincare junkie and Belif is a newer brand (at least to Sephora) that I've never tried before. This product has pretty good reviews online, so I'm excited to give it a try.
On to the main event! This palette came in a pretty bare bones box; no fun graphics or anything (which makes sense since MUFE is more of a professional brand). I was also kind of surprised by how small it looked; I had watched a few videos about it on Youtube, but I guess the size of it never registered with me.
The palette itself is a lot more colorful, and I love the MUFE brush-in-lips logo. I don't have the nude palette, but I was taking a closer look online and it looks like the color swirls are different on each palette, so if you know what colors mean which palette, you can find it at a glance. It's made of cardboard, but it's very sturdy and it has a strong magnetic closure. It's also really heavy. Like, surprisingly so. I think part of the reason why it's so heavy is that the mirror inside the lid is a real glass mirror, but I can't explain the rest of it!
I also really appreciate that MUFE printed the name of the palette on the spine; again, this make it's much easier to find the palette you want without having to open every single one. I think this also implies that MUFE will be making more of these!
On both the back of the box and the back of the palette there is a diagram that lists all the colors. You don't get the names of the colors, but you get the finishes (I = Iridescent, D = Diamond, ME = Metallic, and S = Satin) and the number. You also might notice how two of the colors are labelled as blushes and not as eye shadows; the pigments used in these colors are not approved by the FDA for use in the eye area, but they are approved in Europe, so use at your own discretion (similar to how the Urban Decay Electric Palette was labelled in the US vs. Europe).
You also get a fun little look book! I love getting these idea booklets; they're very inspirational and it's nice to see what companies intended you to do with their products. The palette is supposed to be divided into vertical trios, with each trio creating a different look. The first trio is called the "Playful" look and is the most interesting because it's more of a cheek look than an eye look; two of the colors are labelled as blushes, so MUFE used them as such in their look book. The middle trio is the "Bold" look and the last trio is the "Sultry" look.
I'm going to swatch and discuss the shadows by trios, moving from left to right. So the first color I'm going to talk about is I-872 Pearly Pink in the "Playful" trio. This is the only iridescent shadow in this palette and it's a very pale pink with a frosty finish. This is a nice highlight color, and I would even use this on my cheeks.
 Next is ME-910 Electric Magenta, and this is one of the two blush colors. This was sadly the most disappointing shadow in this palette; it was as pigmented as I wanted it to be and it was kind of hard to blend.
 The last shadow in this trio is S-924 Purple. This is the only satin finish in this palette and it is also labelled as a blush instead of an eye shadow. This was another color I was disappointed in; like ME-910 it's not as pigmented as I was hoping for, but it does blend a little bit better (though looking at my swatch, it looks a little patchier). I'm not sure if these shadows perform a little differently because of the kind of pigment used or what, especially because all the other shadows in this palette perform great.
The next trio is the "Bold" look, starting with D-552 Crystalline Grey Beige. This is the only diamond finish shadow in this palette and it's very, very glittery.  I had a lot of fallout when I used this shadow, even though I used a primer. I think these shadows require a slightly different application technique than what I'm used to so I will have to experiment with them a bit more.
 The next shadow in this trio is ME-232 Turquoise Blue and it is gorgeous! It's very pigmented and super easy to blend and seriously. Look at that blue! It's almost worth it to get this palette for this blue alone. I haven't used this color on my eyes yet (...I'm admittedly a little intimidated by it), but it performed well during swatching.
 The third color in the "Bold" trio is ME-302 Peacock and it is another stunner! In the pan is looks like a dark, metallic peacock green, but when you swatch it, it's like a dark, brownish purple with a green duochrome. I don't have any personal experience with it myself, but I hear that this shadow is similar to MAC's Club (though to me Club looks a little more brown). It also reminds me of my Kat Von D Shade Shifter Shadow in the color On The Road. Regardless, it's a gorgeous color and it performs well.
 The first shadow of the final trio (the "Sultry" look) is ME-512 Golden Beige. This shadow is also in the Artist Palette Vol. 1, which is kind of lame; it makes sense, though, since this is a really great base color, even though it's pretty metallic. One thing I've found with these shadows is that you have to work with them a little differently than you would traditional ones, especially when it comes to layering and blending. I will have to experiment more, but I think part of the issue is that I'm trying too hard with these shadows.
The shadow in this trio is ME-700 Amber. This is another one of my favorites in this palette; it's a warm,  metallic amber gold and it's super easy to work with. While the theme of the Vol. 2 palette is color, I appreciate that there are some more neutral base/transition colors (though I do wish that there was a palette that was all color; I like being able to use a single palette when creating a look, but I also do not need any more neutrals. Ever).
 The final shadow, both in this trio and the palette itself, is ME-930 Black Purple. This shadow is exactly what it says, a blackened purple; it looks a bit more purple in the pan, but when swatched it's much darker. This would be a great liner color or a twist on a smokey eye look. This shadow performed well, especially for how dark it is!
And that's the MUFE Artist Palette Vol. 2! Overall, I'm pleased with my palette, but I'm not sure if it's something I would say is a must have. I think I had really high expectations for these shadows, and maybe they were a little too high. I don't think any of the shadows in this palette are particularly unique (except maybe ME-232) and I'm not sure if I fully appreciate the gel-powder formula. $42 for nine shadows isn't a bad deal and is very comparable to other high end palettes like the Nakeds, but there are other palettes out there that are the same price, or even cheaper, that might be a better investment. If you're like me and you want to try the MUFE Artist Shadows, this palette (and it's neutral counterpart) is a great way to do so, but if you have your eye on another palette, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this one over another.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment