Thursday, May 14, 2015

Darling Clandestine - Indie Perfume! - Haul and First Sniffs!

Hello! Hope you're all having a great day! It's cold and gloomy but I'm off of work and have some pretty and good smelling things to share with you guys!

I recently placed and received another order from Darling Clandestine, an indie fragrance company. I've been itching to try more of their products ever since I got my Don Gato solid perfume (...I don't actually wear it, but I love to smell it when I feel stressed out and anxious. It seriously smells exactly like a cat and it's very, very comforting) and I finally got some! Evonne, the owner of DC, had a mini end of spring/before summer restock and there were two items that I had to get (one of the items is technically five items!).
I'm over the moon with how awesome the scents I got are (sometimes I think I use way too many idioms in my blog posts; I actually have to stop myself sometimes); so much so that I placed another order as soon as the summer collection was released (it hasn't shipped yet, but I'm going to definitely share it with you guys when it gets here!).
I love the stamps she puts on the bubble mailers! The rooster is Jason (if you follow DC on Instagram, you get to see all the chicken and ducky goodness!) and the shark is Devon (at least I am 99% sure he is) and they amuse me greatly.
One of the big perks of buying fragrances from DC (or another indie company) is that, more often than not, the scents you get are unique and very different. If you've watched some of my videos or read my blog posts, you'll know that I'm not the biggest fan of mainstream fragrances since they suffer from what I call "fancy perfume syndrome". With a few exceptions, a lot of mainstream fragrances smells essentially the same; technically, yes, they do smell different and you can pick out the different notes in each, but they all leave the same impression. Nothing really stands out and they all feel "safe" and innocuous. Dull. With indie perfumes, you can smell like pretty much anything you can think of since they don't have to make fragrances that will appeal to as many people as possible.

For this order, I purchased all Bitsy sizes; I love trying new and different things, so I rarely, if ever, use up a full size of anything within any kind of reasonable time frame. With the Bitsy sizes (both in solid and liquid form), I feel much better about amassing a huge collection without feeling like I'm wasting product or money (not that buying the full sizes is a waste of either; it's just how I feel. I get weirdly anxious about products that have been sitting around unused for a long time). And, seriously, I want to collect all of Darling Clandestine's fragrances!
I ended up purchasing the solid Bitsy of Halochrome since I was very curious about it when it first came out but never ordered it (and now I'm sad I waiting so long to get it!) and then I ordered a grab bag of five random Bitsies because I love mysteries! Halochrome came in it's own plastic baggie and my grab bag came in another. The glass vials were wrapped in this super cute faux-newspaper to protect them during shipping.
How cute is that? I have no idea what I'm going to use it for, but I'm totally hoarding it.
There were also some cute pieces of confetti in my bag; two orange roosters and a blue shark!
Also with every order (at least every order I've gotten), Evonne sends you candy! And look at all that candy! There was another Now & Later but it hid from me under a box (I ate it as soon as I found it to prove my dominance). I love getting surprise extras in my orders, especially when it includes candy and/or free samples.
I'll start with Halochrome, since it was the fragrance I bought intentionally. I'm going to quote the scent descriptions that are listed on the DC scent library because Evonne has some really good, really visual descriptions and I could never do these fragrances justice. The descriptions also include what suite a fragrance is (Hot: spicey, peppery, tangy, citrusy, and/or bright; Wet: "green", "blue", aquatic, sandy, ozoney, and/or leafy; Deep: earthy, musky, mossy, woody, herbal, and/or especially complex; Sweet: gourmand, creamy, chocolatey, nutty, and/or prominently fruity), the traditional gender preference, and the Boss level. The Boss level is how unusual a scent is; 1 is "pretty safe", mainstream, and the scale goes up to 10, which is "omg why do you smell like you've been rolling in stars and destiny and gasoline".

Halochrome is described as:
A synaesthetic adventure for your skin. I chose “red” elements, “orange” elements, “yellow” elements and so on, down to violet (it’s not violet; come on, that’s predictable), blending so there would be a nice transition between each color shift. I know that’s not easy to conceptualize. Neither is this fragrance. But it's bright. Bright, bright, bright, with deep blues to ground it. She's a rainbow.
Suite: Hot/Wet/Deep
Traditional gender preference: True unisex
Boss level: 7

This is a very, very difficult to describe scent; every time I sniff it, it smells like something a little different. It's ever changing and it's wonderful.

The rest of the scents I got were included in my grab and were picked by Evonne. She did a very good job picking!
This is a solid Bitsy of Smother. It is described as:
Green, woody natural pistachio (no pudding here), rich moss-covered oak, and a shy bloom of a gloriously superior essence of jasmine grandiflorum.
Suite: Wet
Traditional gender preference: True unisex
Boss level: 8

All the scents I got in this grab bag are of the Wet suite, which I thought was kind of cool (though I don't know if it was intentional or not). Smother is my least favorite out of all the scents I got, but it's still good! There's a kind of...funkiness to it that adds a sense of balance to the scent. If you want a more elaborate description, I recommend watching my video review; I talk a lot about these scents and I don't want this post to get too out of hand.
The other solid Bitsy I got was Inked. It is described as:
A sting of sea salt and leather, splashes of communion wine, the essence of raw skin. Inked is one of my favorite little sex machines. It MUST be experienced on the skin and not just sniffed from the bottle. Inked is an acquired taste, to be sure, but folks who love Inked LOVE LOVE LOVE Inked.
Suite: Wet
Traditional gender preference: True unisex
Boss level: 9

I was kind of afraid that I wouldn't like Inked because of the notes and the high boss level, but this is my favorite scent! There's just something about it that smells so...sexy and attractive and tangy. I think it smells great in the bottle, but it also smells fantastic on! I've heard this can lean more masculine or more feminine, depending on who's wearing it, so I really want to try and convince my husband to put it on so I can see how it transforms.

The first of the three perfume oils I got is Step Right Up. It is described as:
Blue-green, spicy, oceanic, fascinating. Very unisex. Created in cooperation with my brother Aaron, the Smeller of All Things, this scent is incredibly nostalgic---customers frequently tell me it reminds them of a certain place and time, but no two stories are the same.
Suite: Wet
Traditional gender preference: True unisex
Boss level: 4

This fragrance is nice; not sure if I like how it smells on my skin, but in the bottle it does smell very nostalgic and it reminds me of Christmas time, of all things. Specifically, of the art room when I was in elementary school during the week before Christmas break. I'm curious to hear what it reminds other people of!

My next Bitsy vial is Monstre Delicat, which I have no idea how to say because French is hard. It is described as:
Clean, spicy, rainy, moody, wonderful. Sweet blackened fig, rain water, spiced wood. The nostalgic longing for storms. It's a haunting watercolor "blue" scent.
Suite: Wet
Traditional gender preference: Unisex to feminine
Boss level: 4

When I first read the scent description, I was a little worried I wouldn't like this scent (I like to read the descriptions before smelling because it gives me a better idea of the scent story. Some people prefer it the other way around) because I really don't like scents that are described as "clean". This, however, is not one of those "clean laundry" kind of scents but it's more like an empty, washed, pure kind of clean, if that makes sense. This is another really good scent; it really smells like rain!

Finally, I got a Bitsy vial of Limerence. It is described as:
A floral for those who hate florals. Not “oriental” or grandmotherly, but a green, tangy, moody blend of bruised Casablanca lilies, bittersweet succulents, full-bodied herbal essentials, a heady crust of sea salt, and a wonderfully fine mitti attar that’s the essence of first rain hitting sun-baked earth.
Suite: Wet
Traditional gender preference: Unisex to feminine
Boss level: 5

 This is another great fragrance! This is almost exactly what I've been looking for in a floral scent; I have a hard time with floral perfumes since they either seem too strong, too powdery, or too rosey. This definitely smells like flowers, but flowers that are still alive and in the dirt. It smells like a big, lush garden in the sunshine.

And that's my most recent (well, I do have another order in the process of being mixed and poured...) Darling Clandestine order! If you're interested in trying some seriously awesome and unique indie perfumes, definitely check out DC's Etsy store!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment