Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Maybelline Spring 2015 Rebel Bloom Color Tattoos - Rose Riot, Hydrangea Hype, and Black Orchid - Swatch and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! I've been sitting on this post for a while now (for no good reason) and now it's probably not all the relevant because I don't think you can get these products anymore. BUT! On the off-chance that someone spots these for sale online or in a makeup swap group or something, I figure it would still be a semi-useful thing to post. Plus, I took a lot of pictures and I don't want them to go to waste...

As the title suggests, I wanted to share with you guys some swatches and thoughts on three of the limited edition spring 2015 Rebel Bloom collection Color Tattoos by Maybelline! To the best of my knowledge, this was a very limited collection; most stores had displays that had two, maybe three of each color and they never seemed to get restocked. There are a total of colors in this collection, but since I purchased mine from Ulta, I only got three of them (the other two were sold at other stores): Rose Riot, Hydrangea Hype, and Black Orchid.
One of my favorites from the "offend everyone in four words" tag: "Limited edition, sold out".
I was really surprised when I found these at my Ulta; I had assumed they would be all sold out the moment they touched the shelves and I tend to have semi-poor luck when it comes to being able to snag rare-er items. I can't remember what (if anything) else the display had on it, but it had two of each of the three colors. I knew for sure I wanted Black Orchid, but since there was a "buy 2 get 1 free" sale on Maybelline products, I decided to get all three! I did end up returning Rose Riot, but I'll explain more about that later.
 Let's go in numerical order for funsies! One thing that always bugs me about drugstore makeup (along with the six hundred different colors of black mascara...) is that colors don't always go in numerical order in displays. I know it's probably due to new colors being added and there's some reasoning behind what the individual numbers mean, but it's still kind of annoying.
This is 130 Black Orchid, my favorite from this collection! It's a very pretty lavender/mauve-tinted taupe color and it has the best formula out of the three.
All three of my Color Tattoos had weird. splotchy coloring on the top layer, but after I swatched them, the color was much more even. I think there might have been an issue in shipping such as a drastic temperature change or something. Rose Riot was the only color that seemed to be affected all the way through, which is one of the reasons why I brought it back.
 On the left is a swatch in direct sunlight (the faint grid pattern is from the screen on my patio door) and the left is in shadow. I love the shimmer this color has; there's no chunky glitter or sparkles or anything, but it's also not matte (which is my least favorite finish of a Color Tattoo). It applied very smoothly and evenly and this is the color I would most recommend out of the three.
Next we have 135 Hydrangea Hype! If there was a "buy 1 get 1 50% off" sale instead if the "buy 2 get 1 free", this is the other color I would have gotten along with Black Orchid.
It's a pale, periwinkle blue and it has a shimmery finish like Black Orchid. This isn't a color I would normally wear, but hydrangeas have a special place in my heart since it was the main flower from our wedding (it was in my bouquet, in the decorations, and it was the design on our invitations). They're very delicate flowers, but they're super pretty (my bouquet barely made it past the ceremony; while taking pictures, we had to stop every 10 or so minutes to give it a water break). Plus, they don't have a strong smell, which I liked. I'm quite sensitive to smells and absolutely can't stand the scent of roses, both natural and artificial.
This one was the least splotchy looking out of the jar, but that might be because it has a different kind of pigment or something. To the best of my memory, the other Color Tattoos I've gotten haven't been nearly as uneven looking, but then again I haven't gotten one in a long time so I could be mistaken.

Direct sunlight swatch on the left, shadow swatch on the right. This color applied a little more sheer and patchy than Black Orchid and, again, I don't think this would have been a shade I would have bought if it hadn't been on sale and had "hydrangea" in the name. I would say buy this one only if you really like the color, or, if like me, the name means something special to you.
Finally, we have 140 Rose Riot. This was my least favorite out of the three, but that's because of the texture and pigmentation; color-wise, I do like this one better than Hydrangea Hype.
This is a soft, silvered pink, kind of similar to Inked In Pink (which I also have). Inked In Pink is a bit more pigmented and...not "warmer", but maybe "pinker"?
This was also the most messed up out of the three. It's hard to see in the picture, but the splotchyness isn't just on the surface, it goes all the way down.
 I tried to take a picture of what it looked like even after I swirled my finger in it a few times, but again, it might be hard to see. There was an almost honeycomb type of pattern of darker bits all throughout; you can see it in the middle. I don't think it was moldy or anything, but I don't know why it would do that.
Left is direct sunlight (which is really small for some reason) and right is shadow. In the sun, it looks like a nice, pale pink wash of shimmer, but in the shadow you get a better idea of the texture of it. It was almost like an eye gloss; it was really sheerly pigmented and it felt almost sticky; it was unlike any Color Tattoo I've used before. The weird texture and sheer pigmentation, combined with the weird splotches, are what lead me to return Rose Riot.

Overall, I'm not sure if these Color Tattoos were worth the hype; new colors are always fun and when you put "limited edition" on something people can tend to go crazy, but the only color I liked and will get use out of was Black Orchid. If there hadn't been a sale, I wouldn't have purchased Hydrangea Hype nor Rose Riot. If you find these for sale, I would say buy Black Orchid for sure and only get the other two if you really like the color and/or name, but don't pay much more than retail ($6.99ish) for them. There are plenty of Color Tattoos in the permanent line that are just as awesome and are readily available.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment