Tuesday, April 28, 2015

April 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month - Crazy Cat Lady - Unboxing & Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post, I wanted to share with you my April 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes (GDE when I don't want to write it all out) Of The Month (OTM for similar reasons), an indie makeup subscription service! If you've hung out on my blog (or watched my videos) for a while, you know that I love a. subscription services and b. indie makeup/beauty companies. Match made in heaven!

There are actually a few more indie subscription services that I want to try out but, since indie companies tend to be small and operated by one or two people, there is a limit to how many subscribers they can have. The GDE OTM is limited to around 120 subscribers, last I heard. I got very lucky with my GDE OTM and was able to snag a 6 month subscription. Vee, the owner of Glamour Doll Eyes, is going to be changing how the subscription service works again due to issues with a payment platform (at least that what I gleaned) so if you are interested in a chance to sign up, I would highly recommend joining the Facebook group to stay up to date on any new information.
This month I was extra happy that I had a six month subscription since it's CAT-THEMED! Crazy Cat Lady-themed, to be exact.We got three cat-themed makeup products, along with some candy and an adorable charm!
It even came in a box this month!
I'll start with the information card.
These are very professional looking and well designed, which (I feel) shows that Vee really cares about her products and her customers. On the front of the card we get the info about the namesake Of The Month eyeshadow (there is a special shadow made every month that is only available for a very limited time; you can buy it on it's own without having a subscription at the regular full size shadow price of $6. The subscription is $10 a month, which includes shipping, and you generally get one or two extras so it's a great deal), Bandit.
I didn't know it was lip safe until now, nice! Bandit is described as a "wash of green and golden sheen with a subtle brown under tone, finished off with a canary sparkle".
I think what Vee was going for was the color of a cat's eye!
My swatch is done dry over bare, unprimed skin, but if you wanted to bump up the pigmentation and sparkle, you can use a mixing medium and/or primer. You can't really see it in my swatch, but the yellow sparkle is my favorite part of this shadow. When I first read the description without looking at it in the jar, I wasn't sure about it, but together it really works.

Also on the from of the info card, there is a neat section called "TMI (Try More Indie)", which I think is one of the best things ever! Each month we are introduced to a new indie company and are given a discount code we can use to try them. Some companies want to keep the discount code private, but others will let you share. The indie company for April is Polish Addict and they gave us the code PANC15 for 15% off, with no minimum purchase (the "sharable" option is checked on the card so I am allowed to share with you guys!). The code to good until May 31st, so you have a little over a month to make a purchase.

There is also a sneak peek of the theme of the next month OTM, which apparently be "Tattoo". It's a lot more vague of a theme (then, say, "cat lady" or "liars keep secrets") compared to other months, but I'm really interested in seeing what Vee's going to do!
And here's the back of the card, which is just as informative as the front! This side of the card has the two extras we got this month; a full sized cat-themed GDE blush and a Coffin Kisser lip balm from Notoriously Morbid! The GDE blush retails for $9 on it's own, so we really got our money's worth this month.
 The blush is called "Purr-Suasion" and it has some of the cutest packaging ever. The picture of the girl is on all of GDE blushes, but she's not "catified" as seen here. So, not only is this a special, exclusive color, it has special, exclusive packaging, too! Purr-Suasion is described as a "matte brown based mauve with a slight green sheen".
 This is my first full sized blush, and they come with these re-closable sifters. I normally don't like sifters on my loose products, but it works better with blushes since you don't need as much (and can, in fact, go quite overboard).
Here I went a little crazy getting the product out to give you a better idea of the color; you can close the sifter to prevent this kind of thing from happening.
This is Purr-Suasion swatched on my bare skin; the top is a little heavier of a swatch and the bottom is more blended out. Vee said she formulated this blush to be safe to use all over your face (except the lips) since the color might be a little hard to use as a blush, but I think it's a great blush color! The green sheen is really subtle and would be the thing I can see that would make this kind of a weird cheek color choice.
We also got a product from Notoriously Morbid, an indie company I've actually purchased from before! This is a Coffin Kisser lip balm in the scent/flavor "Yes, Meowster". I've heard good things about Notoriously Morbid's Coffin Kisser balms, so I'm excited to give this one a try. These balms are not vegan, but they have really good ingredients: Beeswax, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Jojoba Oil, Flavor (Includes essential oils, natural extracts & artificial flavors). The flavor of this balm is described as "the perfect little ole' cat lady mix of herbal lavender, a touch of musk, and creamy vanilla". Evolution Of A Foodie reviewed this product (she gets the GDE OTM and was even the model on the info card last month) and she was unsure if lavender was a good flavor/scent for a lip balm and I kind of agree with her. It definitely smells/tastes like the description suggests, a little old cat lady, but I'm not sure if that's a positive thing. I will say that the formula itself is very hydrating and since there's no sweetener, it doesn't have a weird, sweet herbal scent flavor (which I think would be a lot worse). The Coffin Kissers retail for $3 on Notoriously Morbid's website and you can get them in French Toast flavor so... I might buy some more.
Now for the little extra details! Every month we've gotten a sticker promoting GDE with the color scheme/design of that month's theme. Stickers are fun, though I'm totally one of those people who hoards her stickers and never uses them because they're too cute/rare. I have stacks of adorable Korean/Japanese stickers in my desk drawer that I just can't being myself to use.
Our charm this month is, appropriately, a kitty! Super cute and a great addition to my future charm bracelet (if I can find a charm bracelet that satisfies me).
And our candy this month! I love Swedish Fish and I love how they fit theme and mostly I just really like candy. ...these don't exist anymore and were eaten shortly after filming my video.

That's my April 2015 Glamour Doll Eyes Of The Month subscription! I love this subscription service and I really want to keep getting it after my six month subscription runs out (which I believe I will be able to; Vee has said that people who are currently subscribed, regardless of how much time they have left, will be put on a month to month subscription basis due to the change in payment platform). Again, if you're interested in signing up for this service, please, please, please join the Glamour Doll Eyes Facebook group so you don't miss out on anything!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment