Monday, April 27, 2015

April 2015 Ipsy Glam Bag - Beautifully Bohemian - Unboxing & Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! I've had pizza for dinner twice in the last two days, so I'm quite happy, if a little puffy.

For this post, I want to share with you my April 2015 Ipsy Glam Bag! This month's theme was Beautifully Bohemian, which is right up my alley. Ipsy has quite up and down over the last few months and it has been so down that I had been considering cancelling, though I can never quite do it since it's kind of annoying to resign up due to the waitlist. I've heard if you sign up using a referral link (that one is mine and I get extra points if you use it so I would be very grateful if you did if you want to sign up) you get off the waitlist faster, but I don't know for sure. You can also sign up by going to the regular website.
People tend to compare their Ipsy Glam Bags and Birchboxes since both are beauty subscription services that cost $10 a month and this month, I have to say that Ipsy wins in terms of product relevancy and enjoyment (though Birchbox is still king (queen?) when it comes to rewards).
Even the bag this month was super cute and very much "beautifully bohemian"!
Every month, Ipsy includes one of the most useless info cards I've gotten in a subscription box.
I do like that they are continuing to use photographs of actual people instead of the graphics they used to use and the cards tend to be quite pretty and artistically inspirational, at least. Unfortunately, I don't follow the beauty bloggers they feature on these cards, so I have no clue who they are 90% of the time. Still pretty, though!
I especially love the shot on the back of the card! It just really resonates with me and the theme this month. The back of the card includes little information except the standard "post on social media, win a year of free Ipsy!". Also, now that I'm taking a second look, there seems to be a poem and/or song lyrics, which is kind of cool.
Let's start with a bang! This is a Julie G nail polish in the color Damsel.
Also it's not for resale, btw. I was really excited when I saw I got this in my Ipsy bag; I've wanted to try a Julie G polish for a long time, but I'm pretty sure there very few to no Rite Aids in the metro area here in Minnesota, which is the only physical place I've heard of that carries the brand. I also don't like to purchase new (to me) products online due to shipping costs and non-easy return process. So yay! I finally get to try one! Sadly though, I really like the formula and want to get more and don't have any easy way to do so.
There's even a $1.00 off coupon that I could use! I'll have to double-check and see how hard it would be to get to a Rite Aid (I've never seen one so I know there's not one in my immediate area) because I really want to get more.
Everyone who got this product got the same shade (Damsel), which is described as a mid-tone pink cream. This is two coats, but it was completely opaque after just one (I always do two coats both for opacity and leveling reasons). I'm pretty sure this isn't a 3-free polish, which is kind of a bummer since so many inexpensive polishes are (Zoya is $9 a bottle and is 5-free!), but I can deal. This is a full size product (it's 10mL, which is slightly less than the more standard 15mL, though it's more than Julep's 9mL) and is worth $3.99.
Next we have this adorably packaged blush from Pandora's Make Up Box! Seriously, how cute is this packaging? I also like how it's eco-friendly; it's a single pan blush in a cardboard sleeve. There is plastic protecting it, but it's a lot less than if it was in it's own compact.
 Everyone who got this product received the same color, Pink Carnation (it's Carnation Pink on the website), which is a peachy pink that's supposed to work with all skin tones. My pan got a little beat up in transit, but it's perfectly usuable, just a little scuffed here and there.
I love this color! It's very flattering and natural and it blends/sheers out really easily, which is super important to me in a blush. This is the full size of this product and it retails for $14CAD (I believe the brand is Canadian) which is about $11USD. It's a little bit pricier than some blushes, but based on it's performance, I think it's worth it and would be curious to try some other colors and other products from this brand.
I got another product from theBalm! I love the packaging on theBalm's samples, especially their powder products. They clearly put a lot of thought into their packaging, which shows that they care about their products and their image. I normally depot these little powder samples, but I can't bring myself to depot these!
This time I got a sample shadow from the NudeDude palette! This is the follow up to the Nude'Tude palette, which I kind of want to get but only because of the naked ladies. Because it's funny. Unfortunately, I don't know how easy it is to get the version with the ladies (there's a non-lady version) since I don't see it on sale too often. The NudeDude has, of course, naked dudes, but they're wearing towels, probably to avoid the minor controversy of the naked ladies (you see nothing; the shadow pans cover everything and then some, but some people aren't very accepting of the human body sadly). ANYWAYS. If you got this product, you could have gotten Flirty, which is a shimmery violet, or Fit, a shimmering copper, which is what I got! I might have preferred Flirty since I have a bunch of shadows this color, but I think Ipsy picked this one for me because of my blue eyes.
These are triple-milled shadows that can be used wet or dry and, like all theBalm products I've tried, the quality is top-notch. It's a basic shade, but the formula and pigmentation are awesome which definitely sets it apart from others. The full size palette contains 9.6g/0.336oz of product (in 12 different shades) for $36, so this 0.035oz sample is worth about $3.75.
Next up we have a Mica Beauty Eye Primer! I don't have a picture of the lid because my camera did not want to focus on it for some reason, but it looks like all the other Mica Beauty lids.
This is a waterproof, long-lasting eye primer and...that's it, really! It's a very basic product, but I actually really like it!
I don't know why I have a swatch because it's almost exactly my skin color, but there you go. It's a very opaque color, which is nice if you have a lot of redness, discoloration, or thin skin on your eyes and it's super tacky, which I like in an eye primer. It grips onto shadows really well so it's a little harder to blend them (but only if you don't lay down a base shade first), but it hangs on to glitter and shimmer. The only downside is that it's surprisingly expensive; a full size is 8g for $44.95, so this 4g sample is worth $22.48, which is more than my MAC Painterly Paint Pot! I would probably never actually purchase this due to the price, but I'm very happy I got it in my Ipsy bag.
Finally, I got a Mullein & Sparrow All Natural Tinted Lip and Cheek Balm. This is a brand I've never heard of, so I'm happy to give it a try! As the name suggests, this is an all natural (if you click the picture to make it bigger, you can see the ingredients) sheer tinted balm that you can use on your lips or cheeks.
 Due to being all natural, when I first opened my tin, it had some sweating issues. I'm pretty sure this was due to temperature changes during shipping; it's still pretty chilly in the mornings here but then it warms up fast.
After I swatched it, I swirled my finger to redistribute the excess oils and now it looks more like a normal glossy balm. It's definitely more oily and less waxy, which I find more hydrating.
It has a sweet orange scent, but there's a hint of chocolate to it, which I assume comes from the cocoa butter (I loooooove how cocoa butter smells). It smells a lot like these candies my grandma always has around for the holidays; they're based on chocolate coated candied orange peels, but instead of the candied peels, they have an orange jelly inside. Basically, I love how this product smells! It is super sheer, as you can see from my swatch, but I think it will be interesting to work with as a cheek product; because of all the oils, it's definitely more glossy than creamy, which would be a different kind of finish for a cheek color. There are eye glosses and lip glosses, why not cheek glosses? Definitely going to try this, especially since it feels appropriate for the summer! This is the full size of this product and it is worth $10.

Overall, I got 3 full size products and 2 deluxe sample sizes. The total value of my bag was $51.22; I feel like the Mica Beauty eye primer is a little overpriced and is inflating my bag value, but I am really happy with everything I got this month and will use everything so I feel like I got my $10 worth for sure! Ipsy really knocked it out of the park this month, but I'm once-bitten and twice-shy so I'm not sure what to expect for next month...

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment