Sunday, March 1, 2015

Gala's Gems - Color Club Birchbox Exclusive Nail Polish Set - Swatches and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! For this post I wanted to take a more in-depth look at my Gala's Gems Color Club nail polish set from Birchbox.
This is a four piece mini nail polish set that is exclusive to Birchbox that was designed with help from Gala Gonzalez, a fashion blogger. I'm going to quote directly from the item description on the Birchbox website since it's just easier: "Most fashion bloggers report on trends, but Gala Gonzalez is shaping them—starting from the hands up. This spring, the Spanish-born blogger, stylist, and DJ teamed up with Color Club to launch this four-piece nail polish collection. Perfect for spring, these pastel hues are inspired by the retro lacquers of the 70s and 80s, complete with a luxe pearl finish. Paired with on-trend, opaque color, the results are both modern and sleek." Admittedly, I have no clue who Gala is since I don't really follow things like that, but I fell in love with these polishes, especially for spring!
Not sure really why I have a picture of the back of the box; it doesn't have any pertinent information besides the ingredients, but dangit I like being thorough.
This is actually my first time trying Color Club nail polish; I've heard a lot of good things about the line, but I've never been able to easily get my hands on it since they're not sold in any stores locally. They're available on various online stores, but I try to avoid paying for shipping whenever I can. Which is why I was excited to not only find this set in the Birchbox store, but that it was a featured brand and had free shipping! I also had a bunch of points to spend, so I could not pass this set up. All four of the colors in this set have a pearl/frosty finish and all four of them are gorgeous!
 This is Heirloom Pearls; it is described as an "opulent off-white" and is also apparently Gala's favorite color.
I actually like the look of white nails; it's very stark and noticeable without being too over the top. Also I love how Miley Cyrus' nails look in her "Can't Stop" and "Wrecking Ball" videos, so, there's that. The pearl finish works really well with this color and it is aptly named.
 Next is Aquamarine Azulino, which is described as a "pearly sky blue with a hint of shimmer" and is probably my favorite color from this set.
I love blues like this; it's not pastel, but it's not super saturated either. It's a very feminine color, but it still has an edge since it's blue. Again, I think the pearl finish is beautiful and works very well with this color.
 This is "Breakfast At...", an "emerald pearl that bears a striking resemblance to a certain iconic jewelry box". If I had to pick a polish from this set that I wasn't 100% happy with (and that's only if I had to; all four of these polishes are super pretty and apply well) it would be this one, but only because I feel like I was promised a Tiffany Blue and I got a beautiful pastel green instead.
I'm really surprised that they describe this as looking anything like a Tiffany Blue, to the point that they even used the phrase "striking resemblance". If you're looking for a Tiffany Blue, there are other options out there that are far more accurate (For Audrey from China Glaze and Gumdrop from Orly right off the top of my head). That being said, this is still a super pretty pearl-finish spring green and I'm happy to have it. I just wish they would have named it something more accurate or made it actually Tiffany Blue.
 Last but not least, we have Gold Struck! Sorry for the blurry name picture...I have no idea why my camera refused to focus on this one polish. Gold Struck is described as an "understated, soft gold that’s subtle enough for daytime wear".
Compared to the rest of the polishes in this set Gold Struck is more of a chrome finish than a pearl. Again, the description for this color is very accurate; I've never heard of something being called a pastel/soft gold before, but that is exactly how I would describe this color. This is a color I didn't know I needed in my collection until I swatched it. Very pretty!

Overall, I'm very happy with the Gala's Gems Birchbox exclusive Color Club nail polish set! I don't believe you can purchase these colors separately or in full sizes, but these minis are a nice size at 7mL and I think all four are gorgeous and definitely worth having for spring (or anytime of the year, for that matter!), especially at the $13 price tag (and currently with free shipping, too!). If you have some Birchbox points burning a hold in your pocket and you're looking for some nail polish colors for spring, definitely check this set out!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment