Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Dessange VoxBox - California Blonde Collection - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! It's not quite as sunny here today, but it's just as warm, so I can't really complain. I'm just so so so happy that it seems like spring is finally here; every winter just seems to get a little harder for me each year.

Weather aside, this post is going to be about an Influenster VoxBox I received! I was selected to participate in the Dessange VoxBox and I got three products from their California Blonde collection to try. I was given these products free of charge for review purposes, but I promise that my thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

When I got the notification that I got into the Dessange VoxBox, I actually had to Goggle the company since I had never heard of it before.
Turns out, it's a Parisian salon that was opened in 1954 by Jacques Dessange (who is the official hairdresser of the Cannes Film Festival, which is pretty cool).
This is the first time that the Dessange products are available in the United States, so I was pretty excited to try them out!
I should probably give a quick rundown of what Influenster is before getting into the actual products I received since it's been a bit since I got a VoxBox. Influenster is a website where you can create an account, link it to your social media accounts, and then review products and take surveys. The more products you review, the more points you can earn, which in turn raises your social impact score (so the more "influential" you are, the more points!). What's nice about Influenster is that there are a lot of different categories of products you can review; beauty, wellness, food, games, fashion, pets, and more. Occasionally, you may be eligible to receive a VoxBox which is full of products for you to try and then tell other people about. I think it's fun, especially since you can do as much or as little as you want and I like sharing my opinion about products with other people (as evident by the fact that I have a Youtube channel and a blog).
For this campaign, you could have gotten products from two different lines: Oleo Miracle or California Blonde. I got products from the California Blonde line since my hair is a bleached platinum/white blonde (or at least that's why I assume I got products from this line and not the other).
The California Blonde line promises to moisturize and protect color-treated blonde hair and it includes a special CC/toning cream to help prevent brassiness, the bane of blondes.
There are four products in the California Blonde line and I got three: the Illuminating Shampoo, the Illuminating Conditioner, and the Brass Color Correcting Creme. I think I would have preferred the fourth product, the Illuminating Elixir, over the Brass Color Correcting Creme, since I already have a color correcting/toning product that I really like. You can purchase these products from Target.com (not sure if they're available in stores yet) and the Illuminating Elixir is  a Target exclusive (the others didn't specify so I assume they'll be available elsewhere as well).
Let's start with the shampoo! This is the full size at 8.5fl oz and it retails on Target.com for $9.99. I will be the first to say that I am very particular about my hair care products and as far as shampoos go, this was alright.
Both the shampoo and the conditioner include passion flower extracts for nourishment and radiance. I do like how this shampoo smells; it's very salon-esque. It is a pretty strong fruity-floral scent, so if you don't like heavily perfumed products, this might not be for you. The smell dissipated pretty quickly after I got out of the shower so it wasn't overwhelming or anything. For a product that's supposed to protect specifically color-treated blonde hair, I'm kind of surprised that it has SLS as the second ingredient. I much prefer shampoos that are SLS and dimeticone-free and unfortunately this is neither. After using this shampoo, my hair felt a lot more stripped than I'm used to (I've been using DevaCurl's No-Poo and Ouidad's Cleansing Oil for a while now). I'll keep it around as an emergency backup shampoo, but I won't be repurchasing it when I run out.
The next obvious step is the conditioner! This is the full sized 6.7fl oz bottle of Illuminating Conditioner. Right off the bat, it bugs me when you get less conditioner than shampoo; I go through conditioner much more quickly than shampoo and I wish they would give you a bigger bottle and then just charge a bit more. This also retails for $9.99 on Target.com.
Again, I am very particular about my hair care products and any new conditioner I try gets compared to my continuing holy grail, the Ouidad Balancing Rinse Essential Daily Conditioner. I really did not like this conditioner. Not at all. It has the same scent as the shampoo, which is nice, but it left my hair feeling worse than it did before I used it. The second ingredient is dimthicone, which should have been a red flag for me. My hair does not play well with dimethicone. Instead of feeling moisturized and, well, conditioned, it felt almost slimy and oily and gross. It felt coated, which it basically was. I used the same styling products as normal and my hair ended up feeling dry and brittle and was super frizzy. It felt even worse the next day and I had to take another shower just to get rid of the scratchy, itchy feeling I was getting from my hair. Even after using my normal products, my hair still didn't felt right; it's as if using the conditioner had actually damaged my hair in some way (I'm pretty sure it didn't and it's just the dimethicone messing with my texture, but it is unnerving). Unless you really like silicone-based hair products, I would say this is a pass.
Finally, I received the full sized 4.2fl oz bottle of the Brass Color Correcting Creme. This is an in-shower treatment that you use about once a week to help tone your hair and keep brassiness away. It has blue pigments (for toning) and linseed oil (for nourishment).
It comes in this fun tube with a special locking cap (it clicks when it's closed all the way). This is a very intensely blue pigmented toner and, overall, I feel like it performed about the same as my Clairol Shimmer Lights Original Conditioning Shampoo (which you can find at Sally's Beauty Supply here). That being said, I would recommend trying the Clairol shampoo over this product.
There must be some kind of extra dye or lightener in this CC cream because it says you need to do a patch test 48 hours before application, wear gloves, and be wary of getting it into your eyes because it could blind you. Fun! The Clairol shampoo specifically states that you don't need to do a patch test before using it and it doesn't require you to use gloves or warn you about blindness (I'm sure it will probably sting if you get it into your eyes, but I don't think it's as serious). I feel much more comfortable using the Clairol shampoo over this product, especially since I feel like I'm getting the same result.

Overall, I'm pretty "meh" about this line. I can't really recommend any of these products over any of the other brands available at the drugstore and, in fact, I would say you're probably better off avoiding the conditioner and the CC cream. I do appreciate the opportunity to try these products (again I want to state that I received these products free of charge for review and testing purposes) and I am still curious about the Oleo Miracle line from Dessange, but yeah, I feel like the California Blonde Collection falls a little short.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment