Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A Small Haul - Ulta, Sephora, Urban Outfitters, and More!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! It's warm and sunny and spring seems to finally be here; it's such a relief after the cold and gloom of winter. ...if you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of winter, which might lead you to question why I live in Minnesota. It's okay, I question it, too.

For this post, I have a smallish haul to share with you guys! I suppose it's more on the medium side, but let's not split hairs. I'm going to continue with my experiment of keeping things brief in these big overviews and then expanding a little more on certain items in individual posts.
I hit up the usual places for this haul, Ulta and Sephora, and I got some things from Urban Outfitters and Target as well! I also have a few things my mom gave me; she's been getting into makeup more recently and, since I pass on things to her, she passed on a few things to me.
I'll go in the order of my title, since it's always nice when things are organized like that. Maybe that's just me, though. It's probably just me. Anyways! I got a bunch of stuff from Ulta, though not all in the same trip. There's a ton of clearance going on right now and it seems like they're putting out new things ever few days so it's always worth a peek.
 I'll start with this big guy since it's one of the deals I managed to snag! This is a Conair brand True Glow foot bath. I feel kind of old getting excited about a foot bath, but I've been neglecting my feet and they're starting to show it, so I thought it'd be nice to give them some pampering!
It was also half off, so. Yeah. I think these were also on HauteLook, for like $20 each, which makes my deal feel even better. I haven't used this yet because I'm lazy (which may be why my feet were neglected in the first place), but it's nice to know I can use whenever my feet are feeling grouchy.
I'm about to run out of my current shampoo (the Ouidad Cleansing Oil which is pretty awesome but kind of expensive) and I'm always trying to find a good inexpensive one, so I picked up this travel sized bottle of the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo! I prefer shampoos that are sulfate and silicone free and that are as gentle as possible. I really like DevaCurl's No-Poo and, if I can't find anything I like that's cheaper, I will definitely be repurchasing that, but I do still want to see what's out there. For a more inexpensive brand, Shea Moisture has some really good ingredients. I know I've tried some of their hair products before and I wasn't too impressed, but I can't remember if they were from this line or not. Either way, this 3.2fl oz bottle was only about $4, so I figured I might as well give it a try.
And now for the most exciting find at my Ulta: the Zoya Natural Satins collection! I've been waiting for my Ulta to get this collection in forever; pretty much since the collection was first announced and I saw pictures of it on Instagram. So. It's been a long wait. But it was totally worth it since these polishes are stunning. I got four out of the six: this is Ana and Brittany...
...and this is Sage and Tove. I passed on Rowan and Leah because I wasn't sure how they would look with my skin tone, but I may still pick them up in the future. I'll be doing an individual post about these guys so I won't talk too much about them here, but! Ulta was also having a special gift with any two Zoya polish purchases...
These gifts, along with being able to avoid paying for shipping, are one of the reasons why I prefer to wait an purchase my Zoyas from Ulta instead of directly from Zoya. In this set, you got a special Satin finish top coat and a satin finish lipstick.
The topcoat alone was worth it! I didn't realize this was going to be a full size, which is about a $10 value. I love satin finishes on polishes, and it'll be nice to have the ability to Satin-ify any polish I want! I am a little concerned about how well this topcoat will perform, however, since I wasn't very happy with the Matte one. Hopefully, this works much better, but even if not, it was free!
As for the lipstick, I'm kind of "meh" about it.
 Everyone who got this set got the color Mackenzie, which is a medium berry color. I'm not sure if Zoya makes these in other colors; I believe you can get one of these for free with a Zoya order with a special code and/or purchase amount and that it's this same color.
 I am a huge fan of Zoya's nail polishes and treatments and highly recommend them to everyone, but I can't say the same about their color cosmetics. I feel that companies need to stick with what their good at and for Zoya, that's nail polish. They make damn good nail polish, in fact. But I really don't like their Hot Lips lip glosses (weird packaging, not nice texture, and unimpressive color payoff) and now I know I don't like their lipsticks. The bullets are kind of odd; they're not shaped like traditional lipstick bullets and it's almost like Zoya didn't want to spend money on a mold (which aren't that expensive; the super fancy, most expensive one on TKB trading is $240) and just winged it. The color pay off isn't very good, either. My swatch is a good 4-5 swipes and it still looks kind of patchy and thin. The color itself is a very flattering berry and I do like it, but formula-wise this isn't great. I got it for free, so I'm not out anything, but yeah, I wouldn't recommend purchasing this or even buying Zoya just to get this as a gift (if you're buying them anyways or if you get something else along with it, then I'd say go for it).
I'm putting this last item, the LORAC AlterEgo lipstick in the color Goddess, here because even though my friend got it for me as a belated Valentine's Day gift (and I really can't thank her enough!), she did buy it at Ulta. I love the LORAC AlterEgo lipsticks and when she asked me what I wanted, I specifically asked for this one! I've tried five other colors (Duchess, CEO, Seductress, Vixen, and Free Spirit) and a commenter on one of my Youtube videos suggested I try Goddess. And I'm glad I did! This is another product that I'm going to do an individual post on, so stay tuned for that if you're interested.
A couple weeks ago, Sephora.com restocked a lot of really awesome things in their sale section, including some Kat Von D palettes and the MUFE Studio Case. Because I am broke and I already have more than enough eyeshadow, I didn't pick up any of those, but they did restock a bunch of colors of the Color Hit nail polish from the Sephora collection. At $1 each and with free shipping, I "splurged" and got three!
I don't think you can buy these in store anymore and I think they're all pretty much sold out now (there's only one color currently available in the sale section), but if they ever do pop back up, I might get some more. These originally retailed for $5 each and they are mini sizes at 5mL. I didn't realize how small they'd be (since I didn't read the size on the site), but $1 for 5mL is pretty good. Not sure I would have paid $5 for 5mL, though, since that's more expensive per mL than OPI and Zoya and they're polishes are much nicer. This is In Bed With, a pale shimmery pink. For being a pale pink, it does have a nice opacity. One thing these polishes do have going for them is the brush; it's wide and flat and it makes application very easy.
 This is Full Moon Party (I know I said this in my video but seriously, isn't that what they call those parties people have to celebrate their daughters first menstration? It's something Moon Party, I know that. Maybe it's First Moon. Hmmm.), a bright blue with green shimmer. This polish is the one I wanted the most and it's pretty good, especially for $1.

Finally I got Manizer, a shimmery hot fuchsia pink. Again, it was nice, I really liked the brush, and for $1 it's worth it.
And, as with any Sephora.com order, I got free samples! This time, there were some more interesting things besides just fragrances. I got a sample of the Jurlique Herbal Recovery Night Cream, L'Occitane Divine Cream, and the Fresh Black Tea Firming Overnight mask. I love free samples, even if I tend to not ever use them...
For President's Day, Urban Outfitters was offering free shipping on any order! I'm a huge fan of Korean skin care and cosmetics and Urban Outfitters has a surprisingly large selection of both online. In store they carry a few things, but it's mostly TonyMoly (which isn't a bad thing, I just wish they carried a bigger variety). I ended up ordering two Korean face masks.
The first one I got was a 3D Ampoule Mask Sheet in Hyaluronic Acid and Colostrum by The Face Shop. I thought this would be neat to try since it's a two-part mask (you put the ampoule on first, then the mask over it) and the mask itself is more fitted, as the creepy picture on the front indicates. This mask was $5, which is probably like double what you'd pay for it in Korea, but such is the way of importing.
The other mask I got was a Snail Ampoule Essential Sheet Mask from Mizon because snail mucin is really good for your skin. I used this mask already and it was pretty awesome. It was $4, which again is probably double the price in Korea, but even at $4, I think it's totally worth it. Really happy to have gotten both of these masks for less than $10, shipping included.
Now we're getting to the more random things; from Target I got the Sally Hansen Big Smoky Top Coat on clearance!
 I've wanted to try this top coat ever since the "Big ___ Top Coat" line came out, but I didn't want to spend $6ish on it (which is kind of hypocritical, I know) so I was super excited to find it on sale; for half off no less! This is a cool top coat kind of similar to how the new NYX Lip Vamp works; it makes any color you put it over darker and, well, smoky looking. I don't know why it was on sale; when I went back to see if the other top coats in the line were on sale as well a week or so later, they were fully stocked and none were on sale, included the Smoky one. It was weird; maybe I was fated to own this polish. But probably not.
I also picked up a bottle of acetone nail polish remover. This is Up&Up, Target's in-house brand, and it was only $0.94. I prefer to get acetone nail polish remover over a non-acetone one because, even though the acetone is more drying, I tend to wear more difficult to remove polish (like glitters) and I feel like it takes me less time and fewer passes with acetone than it does with a non-acetone remover, so in the end the level of irritation and moisture depletion is even. Plus, I try to moisturize well after I use remover.
Finally, I have some things my mom gave me! This is a creme caramel hand cream by the brand Artistry, apparently. I just did a quick Google search of the brand (since I had never heard of it before) and it seems kind of neat! I couldn't find this hand cream on their site, though, so I don't know if this is an older product. I mostly just picked it (my mom brought a lot more things for me to sift through) because I liked the scent.
My mom also recently discovered the wonder that is brand name makeup in the dollar store. Apparently, unlike my local dollar stores, her's are full of Milani and other fun brands. She bought a lot of different products, but she ended up not being a fan of this baked eye shadow.
 The label on the back of this shadow was torn off (no idea why; might have been a packaging thing), but according to a very quick Google search, this is most likely the color Fusion. It's a purple and gold swirl that ends up looking mostly gold when applied. My swatch is dry on bare skin, but since this is a baked product, you can intensify the color by using it wet. For $1 it's not too bad, though I have a lot of colors similar to this in formulas I like better so I'm probably going to give this back.
My mom also had a few nail polishes; some I already had or I had colors that were very similar, but I did keep a few. This is an e.l.f. polish; the first I've tried. I like that it's 3-free!
 I don't like e.l.f. color name stickers; they look super cheap and they fall off way too easily. This polish is called Chic Confetti and it's a bunch of different colors and sizes of glitter in a clear base; it's one of those "party in a bottle" kind of glitters. The glitter is easy to apply, I never felt like I had to fish any out and after two coats you get a heavy coverage (my swatch is two coats). Kind of weird out though that the shelf-life stamp says to use it within six months, though. Nail polish should last a lot longer than that; it may be that this formula starts to dry out quickly or the glitters aren't stable or something.
She also had a The New Black mini polish duo in Black Ice! I've never tried anything from The New Black, though I've seen it at both Sephora and Ulta (I don't think either carries it now; the only times I've seen in has been in the sale sections).
I know there were a few of these mini duos available, along with some other sets that had more polishes in them. Not sure if this brand just went out of business or sells online only now or what. I also can't remember if it was possible to buy full sized polishes individually. In this set there is a black with gold shimmer and a plain black cream.
I also can't remember what these sold for; I think the mini duos were $10-$11, but honestly, I don't think these polishes are worth that. This is two coats of each on my nail wheel and they're both not fully opaque (it's easier to see on the glitter swatch). If these polishes take at least three coats to be opaque and only come in little bottles, I can see why Sephora and Ulta stopped carrying them.

And that's my haul! Uh, sorry to end on a kind of negative note there. I'm going to get some individual posts up for the Zoya Satins and my LORAC Goddess lipstick, but if there's anything else you'd like to know more about, please let me know!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment