Saturday, February 14, 2015

Mini Haul! - Urban Decay, Ouidad, Essie, & MAC!

Hello! Hope you're having a great start to your Valentine's Day weekend! I've been feeling under the weather so I'm not doing anything too exciting, but that's okay since hanging out at home with my husband sounds like a pleasant way to spend a weekend.

For this post, I have a mini haul for you guys; I picked up a few things here and there and instead of letting them atrophy on my desk while I try and build up a bigger haul, I decided to just go ahead and make a haul video.

I kind of want to get away from doing straight hauls; I feel like I don't have enough time to really talk about the things I got and what I do (or don't) like about them. I do really like watching haul videos, but I also like videos that are more in-depth (instead of just "I got this and then this and this and this thing too"). I feel like my earlier videos (and possibly blog posts) were more detailed like that and it's something I want to try and get back to.

Which is also why you've probably seen one or two of these items before, specifically my Urban Decay Vice LTD palette.
I'm not going to lie, I don't really have a cohesive plan of how I'm going to go about this haul. It's been a little while since I actually got these items and, by this point, most of them have made their way into my regular makeup storage and off my desk.
 I am going to just very briefly touch on my Urban Decay Vice LTD palette since I already did a whole post about it. I just wanted to note that this was the haul that included this purchase. If you're interested in picking up this palette, it's still available from Ulta for $58, which isn't bad for 20 Urban Decay shadows and a dual-ended brush. Also it's lime green, so there's that.
 The same time I picked up my Vice LTD palette, I also grabbed some more Ouidad essentials. I'm nearing the end of my DevaCurl and while I really like the No-Poo cleanser, the One Condition conditioner just wasn't, well, conditioning enough for me! I'm trying it out as a leave-in since it can be both (and maybe it's better as a leave-in), but I'm just not impressed with it enough to keep buying it instead of my standby Ouidad. I got my Holy Grail conditioner, the Balancing Rinse Essential Daily Conditioner, which for some reason I can only find at Ulta and if they stop carrying it I don't know what I'm going to do. I also got a travel size of the new(ish? I'm not sure how new it is, but it's a pretty recent addition to the line) Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil. It sounds neat, and I do need a new shampoo once my No-Poo is gone, but I was reading the ingredients and it has diamethicone in it, which is not really something I look for in a cleanser. I'll give it a try and see how I like it, but I'll probably still purchase another bottle of No-Poo as backup.
 On a different trip, but still at Ulta, I picked up some Essie nail polish. As much of a nail polish junkie I am, I've never really tried Essie nail polish and only own one bottle; it doesn't count because it's Belugaria, which is agreed to be the worst Essie polish ever made and I own it kind of as a joke. Essie nail polish never really appealed to me; none of the colors seemed that special and it feels kind of like a more "mature" brand of nail polish, like it's the nail polish my mom would buy. But I saw they had come out with their own version of a satin finish line, the Cashmere Mattes, and since my Ulta still doesn't have the Satin finish Zoyas, I figured I'd try the Essie version. Also if you bout $17 worth of Essie (so two bottles of polish) you got a nail treatments/top coat for free (up to a $15 value).
For my free treatment, I went with the Essie Cuticle Pen. I really love the Julep Mighty Serum pen, but I'm never happy with the deal on it so I never purchase it (I should have got the Mind Your Mani kit when it was $15; ah, regrets) so I wanted to see if this would be something similar. Also, it was one of the most expensive items I could have gotten for free (it's normally $14).
Pretty sure this is more of a cuticle oil pen than anything else (so likely not as similar to the Julep Mighty Serum pen as I would like), but I do feel this is a much more travel friendly form of cuticle oil than my little squeeze bottle.
 For my polishes, I went with with Comfy In Cashmere from the new Cashmere Mattes line and Mint Candy Apple. I wanted to get two Cashmere Mattes, but I wasn't sure what the formula was like and I was concerned I had a few colors that were similar.
I'm glad I only went with the one because I'm not a big fan of the formula. It's a nice color and I like how it looks when it's dry, but application is difficult and annoying and it's a similar experience to Wonderment from Formula X. I think the problem with application stems from the fact that this polish dries very quickly, so it gets goopy and thick very easily and you have very little time to work with the polish on the nail. I'm getting anxious to try the Zoya Satin Matte formula, which I hear is amazing.
 I have a picture of it swatched on my nail wheel and it applied to my actual nails. I used a top coat on my index and pinky fingers to see what it would look like, though you shouldn't add one if you want to keep the matte finish. It ended up being a mauvey-brown kind of color with soft blue shimmer. It's quite pretty, just tricky to work with.
And here's Mint Candy Apple swatched. I know, I know, I really don't need anymore mint polish, but I hear a lot of people speak highly of Mint Candy Apple and how it's their favorite mint so I figured if I was going to try any color from Essie, it should be Mint Candy Apple. It is a very pretty color, though I don't really get the "Candy Apple" part of the name since it's a straight up mint blue. It's a bit more blue than a lot of my other mints, so it is a more unique color in my collection. If you like mints, I would say give this one a go.
For the Superbowl, I painted my nails in Seattle Seahawks colors because why not, but when I removed my polish, I discovered that the green I had used (Julep's Korin) had stained my nails pretty badly. I was super upset because I had used a basecoat and the polish had been on my nails for less than 10 hours; plus I can be kind of vain about nails (but it's the only thing I'm really vain about so...that makes it better, right?). I used baking soda to get as much of the yellow off as possible, but I didn't have a good buffer to get the rest. So I bought some! I grabbed these two because the grit is super fine and they were $0.99 each so now I have buffers in case of emergencies.
I hadn't been to a MAC counter for a while, so I wandered by the one in Macy's one day. I was also in the market for a new concealer, so I asked one of the artists which one she'd suggest and if she could color match me. I ended up purchasing the Studio Finish Concealer in NC20!
Ooo, fancy. Except not really; sometimes MAC packaging can feel kind of flimsy to me, but it means I will eventually have another item to Back 2 MAC so hey, not complaining.
I was a little unsure of this concealer at first because I know some of the products in the Studio line (mostly the foundations) can bother your skin and give you nasty blackheads because they're intended to be film/photo makeup and not really everyday wear. I've been using this off and on and haven't had any issues with it, so so far so good. I didn't swatch it since it's a good match for my skintone and you probably wouldn't have been able to see it, but it has a nice, bendable texture and it's buildable without getting too cakey. It works well to cover up any blemishes I have. Not bad for $20.
I actually made a second trip to my MAC counter the next day because, silly me, I didn't realize the new Viva Glam lipstick was from Miley Cyrus! I saw the display when I was there getting my concealer, but I didn't pay too much attention to it since I haven't been interested in the recent Viva Glams. When I went home and looked up my concealer on the MAC website (...I wanted to make sure I bought a good concealer. I'm not too familiar with MAC makeup and the artist who helped me really did give me much info about it except that it's buildable and that she can get 6-8 hours of wear out of it), I saw that a. the new Viva Glam was by Miley and b. it was a hot pink in an amplified finish. It was too late that day to go back, but I went back the next day and bought it.
 I don't own any other Viva Glam lipsticks, and I really regret not picking up the first Viva Glam from Lady Gaga. Also the second one, but less so since that one was a little less wearable. Granted, if I had gotten it, it would either be used up by now or it would be at least 5 years old and. Gross. Also, wow. Lady Gaga has been around for a while now.
I am a fan of Miley Cyrus, but it's more that I like the idea of Miley Cyrus, if that makes sense. I also think she's super pretty, but none of my friends seem to agree with me. Weird. I love that the tube has her signature printed on it (as the other Viva Glams have their respective representatives signatures on them).
Look at that hot pink! Gorgeous! It's also super wearable; it reminds me of OCC's Anime lip tar, which I love to wear, but I feel like I can't wear it out because it's tricky to touch up lip tars on the go. But now I have a similar color in a lipstick! I did wear this to work and I kept it in my pocket so...it kind of got soft and now it's a little deformed looking, which is sad. It's still wearable, though.
Even if you're not a fan of Miley Cyrus, I would say check this lipstick out if you're looking for a nice, hot pink color. The formula is smooth and highly pigmented and it feels great on the lips. It did stain my lips a little after wearing it all day at work, but it's a nice, even stain so it still looks great.

And that's my mini haul! I ended up writing a little more about the items I got then I expected, but that just goes to show that these smaller, more individualized posts are the way to go. I hope you found this interesting and informative!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment