Wednesday, February 25, 2015

February 2015 Ipsy bag - #ipsyLove - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a good day (or night or whichever time of day you're reading this)! For this post, I want to share with you my February 2015 Ipsy bag!
After a couple months of disappointment and cancellation consideration, I was pleasantly pleased with this month's bag and the products I got. The theme this month, appropriately, is #ipsyLove. I know it's pretty cliched and almost tacky to have a love-theme for February, but sometimes I do really like cliche and cheesiness. There's something simple and comforting about it.

Ipsy is a $10 a month beauty subscription service that's pretty comparable to Birchbox. I personally am on #teamBirchbox right now; you don't get the same value of products (which in itself is debatable; a lot of the brands featured in Ipsy seem to over-inflate the values of their products) but it has a much better rewards system and I like that I can buy products from Birchbox and earn even more rewards. But Ipsy definitely has it perks, like often containing full sized products. I'm not sure if there's a waitlist currently (there was when I signed up, but I only had to wait a month), but I've heard if you use someone's referral link (like mine that I will place conveniently here) you can get off it much faster.
As I said before, I am much happier with this month's bag than I have been with the last few. For one, even the bag this month is cute!
It's another "almost-at-the-top-but-on-the-side" zippered bag, which I like (also, is there a better name for that kind of opening? Probably...) and the pink/grey/white color scheme is very appealing. One thing I really liked about my February bag is how most of the products were pink! I know it's silly, and probably annoying if you don't like pink, but I thought it was appropriate for a February bag.
As always, Ipsy's information cards are mostly non-informative. You get a picture or a graphic (I think everyone prefers the pictures; they're normally of famous bloggers, but I have no clue who they are...) along with the theme for that month on the front...
...and on the back you get some information about sharing on social media. Some people find the lack of information on the card to be kind of annoying (especially since most other subscription boxes include it) but I don't think it's that big of a deal since you can find all the info you need in your Glam Room on the ipsy website, along with special offers and all the other products that were included that month.
Let's start with the product that didn't fit in the bag (most of the time the products will come in the bag, which is in a hot pink metallic bubble mailer). I saw this brush in a few other people's bags (I've started checking out other people's Ipsy bags on Instagram before I get mine; you get to see what you could get, but you don't outright spoil it for yourself like if you were to look at your Glam Room) and was really hoping I'd get it. And I did! Yay! This is the Luxie Beauty Angled Face Brush #504. This brush is made with synthetic fibers and is cruelty free; it's also coated with an anti-bacterial solution, which is interesting. The bristles are nice and soft, though they aren't as dense I had expected. I'm really happy I got this brush because I don't actually own a nice angled brush like this and have been feeling the gap in my brush arsenal. This brush normally retails for $16, but it's currently on sale for $8, so that's the value I'll give it.
This is another item I was really excited to see in my bag! This is the Hey Honey Take It Off! Exfoliating Honey Peel Off Mask, and we all know how much I love masks. And honey in my skincare products! This product seems to have been making it's rounds in other peoples' bags for the last couple months, and I was always sad when I didn't see it in mine. But now I got it! Though it makes me wonder if Ipsy isn't going update the roster of products as often (it seemed to change pretty drastically every month) and just cycle through a set for a few months before changing it out...

This peel-off face mask has AHA and honey extract, both things I like to put on my face. You apply this mask over a thin layer of moisturizer (which is the first time I've seen this step in the instructions for this type of mask, but it makes a lot of sense), let it dry for 15-20 minutes, then gently peel it off. I like the idea of peel off masks, but in practice I find them kind of tricky to use; I'm actually kind of fuzzy on my face and if you get your hair caught in a peel off mask, it can be a very painful experience. Still! I'm excited to give this a try and I've heard good things about it! You get approximately 2-3 uses out of this size of tube, which is like 1-2 weeks worth, which is nice. The full size is 50mL for $35, so this 10mL sample is worth $7.
More pink things! Well, there are two for now. Three if you count the bag. This is a Cargo Cosmetics mini lip gloss in the color Anguilla. Everyone who got this product in their Ipsy bag got the same color, which is a cool-toned pink.
This gloss is described as being long-wearing, non-sticky, and creamy; I can't speak for the wear-time, but it's definitely creamy and opaque, at least for a lip gloss. The color may not be for everyone, though. It is super pale and cool toned and I've heard that it can emphasize lip flaws. It has vitamin E and jojoba oil to moisturize and improve the appearance of fine lines around your lips (plumping through hydration, basically). I think there was an error with either the size of this sample or the size of the full size on the Cargo website; the full size is listed as being 0.08oz/2.5mL which is ridiculously small and the sample size is listed as being 45mL/4.5g, which is more realistic. The full size is $16, so on rough estimate this is probably a $4 value.
Let's stick with pink products; this is a ModelCo Blush cheek powder in the color Cosmopolitan.
I think everyone got a ModelCo blush in their bag (I could be wrong, but I don't think I saw any bags without it) and you could have gotten this color, a "ballerina pink" or Peach Bellini, a peachier/coral pink. I would have been happy with either color, though I do like to wear more peach/coral blush in the summer. This light pink might be more appropriate for spring, though.
When I opened my bag, I was concerned that my blush was damaged since it looked like the pan had come unglued from the compact, but the product itself was perfectly fine. I actually don't mind that the pan popped out since I was probably going to de-pot this anyways and it saves me a step! This was another product I had difficulty with figuring out the value for. The full size retails for $22 (which is way too much and I would never pay that much for a blush of this quality. It's not bad or anything, but it's not $22 worth), but I couldn't find a weight listed for it anywhere. I read on Makeup Alley that the full sizes were close to MAC blush sizes, so I just used that weight, 6g/0.21oz, to calculate the value of this sample. At 0.12oz, it's worth about $12.50, which again is ridiculous.
Finally, I got a Rob Scheppy for 'Tini Beauty eyeshadow single in the color Pearl Fizz.
If you're wondering who Rob Scheppy is (like I did until I looked it up), he's apparently the makeup artist for Kim Kardashian. I don't really follow celebrity culture, so I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to these things. He teamed up with 'Tini Beauty (the people who make Nailtini polish) and created an 8-pan eyeshadow palette. You can use these shadows wet or dry, which is a nice feature.
Everyone who got this product got the same color, which is one of the colors in the palette. You can't buy these individually so if you like it, you'll have to spend the $39.50 for the palette, which seems kind of expensive, especially since you can get a Too Faced nine-pan palette for $36 and a LORAC Pro/Pro2 for $42. Based on the value of the shadows in the palette, this one-pan sample is worth about $6.60.
Swatch time! I wanted to split these up and include them along with the individual reviews of the products, but since they're all so similar to my skin tone they looked really weird on their own. On top is the Cargo lip gloss, the middle is a very blended out swatch of the blush, and the bottom is the 'Tini Beauty eyeshadow. I like the texture/formula of all three of these products when I swatched them, but since I haven't worn any of them yet, I can't speak to their wear-time or anything like that.

And that was my February 2015 Ipsy bag! Again, very happy with this month's bag, especially since the last few bags have been so disappointing. Overall I got four deluxe sized samples and one full sized product. According to my calculations, the products in my bag have a total value of $39.50, which is probably wrong and one of the things that's been bothering me about my Ipsy bags. I feel like I've mentioned this before (I know I've talked about it a few times in my videos), but a lot of the products/brands featured in Ipsy bags have very over-inflated values. I really don't feel like that ModelCo blush is worth anywhere near $22 (though thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure ModelCo is an Australian brand, so that could be the value in Australian dollars, but then why would the link from my Glam Room send me to a website without setting the default currency to US dollars?) and $39.50 feels pricey for that 'Tini Beauty eyeshadow palette. I find it really annoying when companies say their product is worth an arbitrary, but high, amount, and then constantly have it "on sale" to make you feel like you're getting a deal when really you're not. It's very important to be an informed and conscientious consumer when it comes to beauty products.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment