Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My First Notoiously Morbid Order! - Indie Makeup!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day! Hmm, I should really think of a new intro; mine is just so...generic. Maybe generic isn't bad, though. Also change is scary. At least sometimes. Well. This started out weird.

Anywho! If you've read some of my past posts and/or watched some of my videos, you'll know that I'm a big fan of indie cosmetic companies! I love supporting indie artists (and I do think that cosmetics creators qualify as artists) and I just really like the idea of owning a unique, handmade product. Any one can go to Target or Sephora or Ulta and buy an eye shadow (well, most of the time. If it's not a limited edition product that everyone and their mother wants), but it feels special to explore someone's personal website/Etsy store, select your products, and know that they were made by that person, sometimes even especially for you! I've found that the quality of indie products is the same, if not sometimes better, than mass produced items

This time, I purchased some items from Notoriously Morbid. I've been intending to purchase from Notoriously Morbid (NM from now on; laziness!) for a long time now, and I've just never gone for it. Her shop (the owner's name is Carrie) was closed from December 15th through January 1st for the holidays, and I believe orders placed after December 15th would start processing on January 1st. Or something like that. All I know is that I placed my order on January 1st, as soon as the shop was open again. The listed turn around time (TAT) was 10-14 days, and I was pleasantly surprised that my order did indeed ship out withing that time, especially considering she probably had a whole bunch of other orders to fill as well.
My order shipped quickly and arrived safe and sound in a padded mailer. Inside the mailer, my order was packed in this cute, striped bag! There was also an invoice with a personalize thank you note from Carrie.
Here's a nice, big overview of what I got:
I ordered one mini jar of shadow, two sample baggies, and I got the Blogger pack. I really love it when indie companies offer these special Blogger discount packs; I love reviewing as many colors and products as I can, but it can get very expensive very quickly. As long as you have an active blog or vlog, some companies will either offer a discount or they will have a special set you can purchase at a discounted price. NM offers the later; you can select from a full sized eye shadow, a full sized Coffin Kisser lip balm, or a full sized Lipcraft lip gloss and get five sample baggies of shadow for just $5. You can make simple requests about what you would like (if you want all vegan shades, or if you can't stand the color yellow, or things like that), so I requested shades that were different or unique. I have a lot of "normal" shadow colors, so I'm getting very picky about what new colors I purchase. I also went with a full sized Lipcraft lip gloss since I want to try other indie cosmetics besides just eye shadows.
My order came packed in two baggies; the Blogger set was in it's own, smaller baggie and the other items I ordered were with it in the bigger one.
I am so, so happy I ended up with the Pal Of Sanity Lipcraft lip gloss! This is the color I was thinking of buying anyways; I didn't want to request a specific color since that kind of feels like cheating, so I'm really glad she picked this one. This is one of my first actual indie lip glosses (I've had indie lip balms before), and I'm pretty impressed with it. It performs and feels like a regular lip gloss and it has a very subtle vanilla-y scent (you can also request to have them made unscented, which is nice). It has a doe foot applicator, like most lip glosses, and it is described as a "creamy tangerine with a gold shift/sheer".
I swatched it individually since it shifts color depending on the light. I love gold and I love coral and this is definitely a unique color that you don't see in a lip product very often. This product is vegan and the name comes from Lovecraftian stories.
Along with my Pale Of Sanity Lipcraft, I got five sample baggies of shadow. This first one is Sexy Psycho; it's currently out of stock on the website and it is described as a "candy red with a blue to silver sheen". I've been purchasing a lot of red shadows lately, because I didn't have any, and this will be nice addition. Now I just have to figure out how to wear red eye shadow well!
Next up is Cry Wolf Cry. This is a "shimmery taupe with a touch of purple sheen and silver sparkles" and it looks exactly like the color of a Timber Wolf. It's a very pretty "neutral with a twist" kind of color.
This next sample is my favorite out of the five in my Blogger set! This is I Call It Mr. Pointy and it is described as a "smokey plum/burgundy". I definitely do not have many colors like this and I love how, when you swatch it, it looks like dried blood! The name is a vampire reference (at least according to the quote on the page in the shop), but it reminds me of Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar from Neverwhere by Nail Gaiman.
This is Give Me$20!, another very unique color. This is a "green like you've never seen before. It's like a hallucination from cool mint to subtle coral". Sounds neat, doesn't it? This performs more like a layering shade; the base color is very sheer but you can make some really cool looks by layering this over other colors, including cream shadows.
Finally, this is Visions, a "bright peach with electric yellow to green shift". I love these peachy-orange colors since they really make the color of my blue eyes pop (orange is the complementary color to blue). This baggie had a different sticker from the rest of my samples, so I'm not sure if this is an older sample or what. There's not much in loose eye shadows that can go bad, though, so it's no biggie.
And here is my NM Blogger pack swatched! These are dry swatches over bare, un-primed skin. If you were to use these wet or over a primer, you can increase the intensity of the color and sparkle. Left to right: a more blended out swatch of Pale Of Sanity Lipcraft lip gloss, Sexy Psycho, Cry Wolf Cry, I Call It Mr. Pointy, Give Me $20!, and Visions. They all swatched beautifully again, I think my favorite out the bunch is I Call It Mr. Pointy.
And these are the other shadows I purchased! I've been sitting on these for a while; I had time decided what sizes to get them in. I probably should have gone with all mini jars (some indie companies only offer full sizes and sample baggies, others offer full sizes, mini jars, and sample baggies. I generally find that it's the best deal to get the mini jars), but I am trying (...kind of) to keep my spending under control. This first sample baggie is It's The Riche That Counts (I don't think the full name fit on the baggie). It is described as a "bright yellow befitting the riche with a perfectly lovely pink duochrome". Yellow is another color I don't have much of, so I thought I'd give it a try!
I also got a sample baggie of Garmonbozia, which I knew I had to get from the description: "A creamy corn yellow with a chestnut undertone and a frigid blue shift. The more you blend, the more the chestnut undertone appears. If you are really into unique shades, this one is for you". Yes, it totally is! This is such a different shade and so unlike what I already own. I regret not getting a mini jar of this one, but I wasn't sure how much use I would be able to get out of it.
Every time I went to NM and created a cart, I had a few shadows that stayed the same each time. Garmonbozia was one, and Gilded Mirror was the other. It looked so pretty in the swatch and the description, "a plum/mauve base with an airy gold overlay", sounded like something I would want to wear all the time. I also really liked how different the shadow looks in the jar versus when you swatch it.
In the jar, it looks like a regular, cool-toned light brown color, but when you swatch it and really start to blend it in, the purple starts to show and it's lovely! It has so much depth to the color all by itself; it would make a great shadow for a single color look.
I also got a free sample with my order! This is Cermet & Paesh, which was the Black Friday 2014 GWP. I unfortunately don't know the story behind this shadow nor where it's name comes from, but there are two greyhounds on the lid, so I assume it's their names or something.
NM states that there were so many requests from people to be able to purchase this, and she had enough overstock, so it's currently purchasable on the site for $2.75. There's no color description on the site, but to me it looks like a cool, mid-tone grey with lots of sparkle in it. It was super nice of Carrie to include this with my order!
And here are the shadows I purchased individually swatched. Except Visions snuck in there, so ignore the first shadow. Again, these are dry swatches over bare, un-primed skin and you can increase the intensity and shimmer of these shadows by foiling them and/or applying them over primer. Left to right (after Visions): It's The Riche That Counts, Garmonbozia, Cermet & Paesh, and Gilded Mirror. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but hopefully you can tell how Gilded Mirror blends out into a pretty purple color.

Overall, I'm very happy with my first Notoriously Morbid order! The shadows were all pretty and swatched well, my order was processed and shipped within the stated TAT time, everything arrived to me safe and sound and well packaged, and Carrie definitely understood what I wanted when I asked for unique and interesting colors! I'm also interested in checking out the NM subscription, the Vanishing Cabinet, though I'm not sure if I can financially take on another subscription right now. If you're into different colors, or you're interesting in trying an indie subscription service, I would recommend checking out Notoriously Morbid!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment