Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Pre-Christmas 2014 Haul! - Sephora, Urban Decay, and More!

Hello! Hope you're having a good day! I have a lot of  things to show you guys, so the area around my desk is super cluttered and. Not fun. I'm kind of a klutzy person, too, so...that just makes it worse!

I ended up buying some neat things before Christmas (I know, I know...I feel like all No-Buys, tentative or not, fly out the window in the face of holiday sales) and I wanted to share them with you! Some of these deals may be still available, though some are unfortunately not (I think you can still buy most of this stuff, deal or not).
This was another video I tried experimenting with my lighting and, again, it turned out not the greatest, so I do apologize. I'm going to post photos of pretty much everything, so if you can't see something too well in the video, you can see it here.
I have no clue where to start, really. It's been a while since I bought these things, so I don't really remember the order in which I got them (which I tend to like to follow). So let's start with something totally random!
I got a sampler set from Target! I've gotten a few free samples from Target before, but this is the first set I've gotten. There's a special place on the Target website (http://samples.target.com) where you can request free samples of things. I've gotten a few foil packets and one full size product so far. All you have to do is click on the sample you want (sometimes there aren't any there; they go pretty quickly), fill out some questions, and if you qualify they'll mail it to you for free. It's a fun way to get little things in the mail. I actually had to retake the survey a few times to get this set; I think it was geared toward older women, but I can use everything in it, so why not?
 With the other samples, I also got coupons! I believe there was a coupon for the full size of each of the items sampled, but I'd have to dig it out to be sure (...I have no idea where it went, actually).
Here's everything that was in the box: a Bic Soleil disposable razor, a pantyliner, a sample of Caltrate calcium chews, and two packets of pain relievers (regular and PM). Actually, this is kind of a weird box for an older person; it almost feels like a welcome to puberty box (maybe minus the calcium). Hmm. Oh well, it was free and I'm happy I got it.
 I think the next thing I got was an order from Sephora! I didn't intend to make a purchase; I was being very good and not spending my money on things that weren't necessary (or Christmas presents), but Sephora knows how to twist my arm. I got a $25 off a $50+ purchase giftcard thingy and it's like how can I not take advantage of that? There were a few things I wanted, included some new palettes, but I finally decided on...
The Bite Beauty Lip Love kit! My lips always seem to be flakey and gross and I thought this would be a great way to get them back on track (also I was about to run out of my lip scrub). This kit was $36, but a few days after I bought it, it went on sale for $25. I was actually able to go to my Sephora and have them price adjust it, so that actually ended up working in my favor. Bite Beauty focuses on lips and they only use food-grade ingredients, so come the apocalypse, I can eat this stuff!
There are fourish products in the Lip Love kit: you get a BB For Lips (which is like a lip balm/lipstick) in Tawny (a "dusty pink", though it seems more brown/orange to me), the Agave Lip Mask, the Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub, and two Lush Lip Wipes (that's the "ish" part of the four). I believe only the BB For Lips is full sized; everything else is deluxe sample/travel sized (minus the two packets).
Everything came nice and snug inside the box! I was kind of surprised by how small the lip mask was; I was mostly interested in the scrub and the mask so I was hoping they'd be bigger (the full size of the lip mask is about 4x bigger). If I didn't have my coupon/gift card (and subsequently getting it price adjusted to $25), I'm not sure if I would have bought this set. The products are great; you just don't get much.
On the back of the card holding the Lip Wipes, Bite gives some simple instructions on how to use the products (and what order you use them in).
These are the two Lip Wipes; I believe these are the full size of the individual wipes, you just get more in the full size (I believe you get 10). According to Sephora (and because I'm lazy and don't feel like paraphrasing): "Infused with BITE’s signature Superfruit flavor, these wipes are the first ever formulated just for lips. They soothe and hydrate while removing your old lip color to leave lips healthy and ready for a color reset. They can also be used to hydrate and mattify any time." So that's pretty neat! One of my favorite colors to wear, MAC's Heroine, is kind of hard to remove, so it's nice to have a product especially made for that.
This is the BB For Lips in Tawny. Again, quoting direct from Sephora: "Essential for the look and feel of just-kissed, healthy, and hydrated lips, this color-rich balm repairs, primes, and protects with SPF 15. Natural lip repair lipids mimic the lips’ natural surface to revitalize, replenish, and restore texture for the ultimate softness." I really like the idea of this product; lips can get neglected when it comes to sunscreen and the area around the mouth is one of the places skin cancer lesions can first show up (the other common place is around the eyes since we tend to avoid putting sunscreen there, too).
It feels really, really nice on my lips and I do think it helps keep them hydrated and looking nice. I wish we had gotten another color; it comes in five colors in total, including a clear one, which I think would have been better.
It's a pretty sheer color, so it's not a big deal, but this is described as a dusty pink color, which I don't think it is. I can see a peachy-pink undertone, but I feel like it looks more brown/orange, especially on my lips. Again, it feels amazing on, so I can get over the color.
This is one of the products I really wanted to try; the Agave Lip Mask! "This innovative, natural formula smooths, nourishes, and moisturizes lips with a bio-active blend of organic agave nectar, jojoba oil, vanilla CO2 extract, and triple the amount of antioxidant trans-resveratrol found in red wine." You use this at night since it is super hydrating and thick. This is a really teeny sample which is kind of lame, but you don't have to use much so hopefully it will last long enough for me to see a difference. I've only used this once, so I can't say much about it right now, but it did feel hydrating and nice.
This is really the reason why I wanted this set; this is the Whipped Cherry Lip Scrub! My favorite lip scrub ever is the LUSH Popcorn (and Bubblegum!) lip scrub, but I was almost out so I wanted to try something new. I do like the E.L.F. lip scrub, but I've liked the other Bite Beauty products I've tried so I wanted to give this one a go.
This is a "100-percent natural cherry-flavored mousse infused with exfoliating beads to smooth and condition lips. Made from antioxidant Resveratrol, fruit acids rich in vitamin C and rice bran, the Fruit Scrub exfoliates and helps to brighten lips over time while fighting free radicals and conditioning around the lip line". Wow, extra lazy. This doesn't have the best reviews because people don't find it gritty enough, and I can see where they're going with that. There isn't a lot of grittiness to this product, and it mostly feels like a really oily lip balm, but part of me wonders if that's just because we've gotten used to exfoliating products being gritty and harsh (kind of like when people complain that sulfate-free shampoo doesn't lather enough. It's like...why did you even buy it in the first place?). Your lips have some of the thinnest skin on your body, so maybe it's actually healthier to be gentle. I've used this a few times and it smells/tastes amazing, so it has that going for it! Even though it's not gritty at all, it does seem to exfoliate my lips, so again, maybe it's just really gentle and we don't need to be using such aggressive exfoliants on our lips.
 Since I did have to make a $50 purchase to use my $25 gift card (does that still count as a gift card? I don't think so...) I bought two more Dr. Jart+ face masks! I love face masks and I love Dr.Jart+ so these are perfect for me! I've used the Brightening Infusion mask before and thought it was great so I got another one, and then I figured I's try the All That Lift & Firm mask. It has a bigger bottom part so it's also partly a neck mask, too! I did really well at getting up to $50 without going over; I think my order was like $51.50 with tax. Nice.
And I got my three free samples; Sephora had some good samples this time around (sometimes they're pretty meh or are all fragrance). ...the GlamGlow eye mask was also part of the reason why I placed this order when I did. I love the GlamGlow eye mask, but it's expensive so I always try and get samples of it. The samples are basically the same thing you get in the full size, the full size just has more. You're supposed to use one ampoule/well per eye, but lots of people just use one for both so it lasts twice as long.
I also got a 100-point sample because why not? This is the Dior Capture Totale One Essential serum. It had good reviews. /shrug

As I said before, the Lip Love kit went on sale for $25 a few days after I purchased it, which bummed me out. I initially wasn't going to go to Sephora to see if they would price adjust it because I'm timid like that, but one of my co-workers empowered me to do it and I did and I got an $11 credit! So I spent it on nail polish!
Very pretty nail polish! This is Mischevious from the Formula X for Sephora polish line and I've had my eye on it for a while now.
It's from the Ombre Glitters collection and is described as a "rose and sage ombre glitter". Which...isn't that descriptive. It's basically a duochrome glitter.
Pretty! This is mostly rose with just a hint of the sage shift (you can see it at the bottom there), but it changes in different light and different angles and it's seriously gorgeous. It's also a fairly unique color, which is also a plus!
How about some Urban Decay next? I actually made a purchase direct from Urban Decay because they had a product on sale that I had wanted even when it was full price and both Sephora and Ulta were sold out. Also, they were offering free shipping and you got a cool secret reward card, too! My product came shipped in this gothic black bubble mailer. I love bubble mailers.
This is my secret card! It's not actually that secret since I opened it, but I love how exciting these are to get. You could have won a bunch of things, included the Naked Vault. Which would have been awesome. Everyone is a winner, though, so that's nice. I think the "lowest" prize was 10% off an Urban Decay order, but even that is nice. I ended up with 20% off any online Urban Decay order that I can use starting January 1st. Yay!
I also got a sample card for some the UD lipsticks. I think I've gotten this exact card from Sephora before, but I'll never say no to free samples.
And this is what I got! Yes, the Ten 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil set! I wanted this ever since it first came out, and, while it's still at good deal at the full $52 price, it was an even better deal at $29. $29! For a full sized Perversion 24/7 eye pencil, a full sized Grindhouse sharpener, and nine travel sized 24/7 eye pencils! I believe all the colors in this set are exclusive to this set (sans the Perversion liner), but I could be wrong.
The Grindhouse sharpener is well-known for being awesome (and one of the only sharpeners that will work with the 24/7 Concealer pencils, which I love. I have a NARS sharpener that can sharpen them, but it's nice to have the Grindhouse) and it retails for $10 all by itself.
I did some quick swatches just to show the colors; they go in the order they are in the set, starting with Perversion on the right. They all seemed very creamy and easy to apply. I love the mixture of colors, though it seems a little heavy on the taupes/browns. Very very happy I got this. It might still be available from Urban Decay directly; I know for sure it's sold out completely from Sephora and Ulta.
Continuing with the Urban Decay theme, I ended up picking up the Vice 3 palette! I know, kind of random, right? This wasn't a palette I was initially interested in; I thought it was nice, but not really something I needed. Out of the blue, my old job sent me a Christmas card with a $50 Visa giftcard inside and you know what I do with random, extra money. Buy palettes! I went to Ulta with the intention of buying either the new Lorac Party palette or the Urban Decay Shadow Box palette (which I believe is an Ulta exclusive). I waffled for a while in the store, then decided to just go head and get the Vice 3. The Lorac palette was pretty, but the colors didn't have much last power (they started fading while I was waffling) and I already own a bunch of the shadows in the Shadow Box (even doubles already of a few) so it wasn't that good of a value.
I am so happy I bought the Vice 3! All the colors are exclusive, so they're all new for me, and most of them perform beautifully (there are a few of the more matte ones that are a little crumbly in the pan, but overall all the colors look great on). It even has it's own little bag!
Here's just a quick overview of all twenty shades. I actually did a video about my first impressions and swatches of this palette, so I'm thinking I'll give it it's own blog post. There's a lot to say about it, and I'm already making this post way too long. In summary: this palette is awesome and I'm happy to own it.

Should I stick with what I got from Ulta? I got an e-mail from them (I get e-mails pretty much daily, but I love deals so I'm not bothered by it) about some special holiday deals; they had a couple sets for half off that sounded interesting. So I got them!
This is the Bliss Mistletoe Gems duo; I've used a couple Bliss products before and have generally liked them, and since this was half off (so it was $6 instead of $12) and I could always use some more products to defend against the cold and dry weather, I bought it! The packaging is really pretty and shiny and would have made a great gift (technically it was a gift. To myself. From me).
 Inside you get a travel size of the High Intensity Hand Cream...

And a Fabulips lip balm! I already have a ton of hand cream so I wasn't too excited for that, but I did really want to try out the Fabulips. Hopefully it's really hydrating since my lips tend to get flaky, chapped, and generally icky in the winter (actually, they're like that most of the time. It just gets worse in the winter). The full size of this is $16 and I think is just a little smaller so...right there, I saved like $10. Nice.
They also had a couple of these Stila x BaubleBar sets on sale for half off! Generally, I'm not a fan of Stila; I don't like a lot of their products and I think their cardboard packaging looks kind of tacky. In a not good way. But for $16, I thought this set was a really good deal, especially since you also get a $10 BaubleBar gift card.
This is the "Be Jeweled" set; there was another one with a silver bracelet and three eye liners. I thought about getting that one, but I went with this set because I prefer the rose gold of the bracelet and I wanted a single of the Stila Kitten eyeshadow (Kitten is like their be-all-end-all shade. Also it's called Kitten). I don't like Stila lip glazes, so I might end up giving these away to my mom or something.
 The three glazes I got were Apricot (which I've gotten a lot before)...
 Grapefruit (which I'm pretty sure I've had at least once before)...
 And Majesty. I don't have these swatched since I'm going to give them away (and thus didn't want to open/use them), but they're nothing too special. I believe these are all colors available in the permanent line and they do pop up quite a bit in sets. These are also not full sized, though I can't imagine ever going through even this size of a lip glaze. But these aren't why I got this set!
 This is more of the reason why I got this set! This is a single of Stila's Kitten eyeshadow.
This is a full sized single shadow, which retails for $18 on it's own, so right there I'm getting more than my money's worth.
Kitten is just a pretty, neutral champagne shimmer and apparently you can use these wet or dry, so that's pretty cool.
The bracelet and gift card came in their own special black bag.
This is the other reason why I wanted this kit; I'm pretty sure this is just a straight up $10 gift card that you can use on anything on BaubleBar. It does expire 1/31/15, but I can easily use it before then. I've seen a lot of Baublebar stuff in subscription box videos, but I've never gotten anything from it myself.
People had some issues with the bracelet; while it matches the bracelet pictured on the box, some sample photos showed a bracelet with hearts on the ends, not spikes. I'm pretty indifferent; I like the look of both and I'm happy with the spikes.
Another complaint people had about the bracelet (this one and the silver one in the eyeliner set) is that it is on the smaller side. It doesn't adjust well and I did have a little bit of a time getting it on, but I have really tiny wrists (to the point where I hate wearing bracelets because they are always huge on me and I'm afraid they'll fall off) and it fit perfectly! I really like this bracelet and will definitely be wearing it.
Here's something totally random: a plaid shirtdress from the Gap! In the December Birchbox, there was a special offer from the Gap where they would give you $10 to use on pretty much anything if you gave them your e-mail (and subsequently signed up for their e-mail list). I wasn't going to do it initially since I don't normally shop at the Gap (I think it's overpriced for what it is), but some of my subscribers on Youtube convinced me to since there were a lot of sales going on and you could get something for next to nothing. This dress was $69.95, then it was on sale for $48.99, then it was an additional 60% off the sale price, and after my $10 credit thing, I paid less than $10! It's really comfy, though I do need to wear a sweater/vest on top of it because it is super loose (I think that's how it's designed to be worn).
Bath and Body Works had a special $8 3-Wick candle event before Christmas and, with my $10 off a $30 or more purchase, my husband and I were able to grab some extra gifts, including one for ourselves! This is Vanilla Bean Noel, which is pretty much the quintessential holiday candle scent.
The top has a pretty snowflake design...
And it's really just a great all-around candle. With all the BBW candles I already own, I'm kind of surprised I've never had this one!
I got a couple nail files from Sally Beauty Supply. I got this ASP Crystal file since I read about it in my Nail It! magazine and I needed a new crystal file (my old one from Sephora kind of smells funky, which is probably from not properly cleaning it after usage and keeping it in the bottom of my purse). Crystal files are the best for your nails since they cause the least amount of damage.
While looking for the ASP Crystal file (it was hiding at the cash registers), I found this little guy. I've never heard of this before and it looks kind of...homey, so of course I bought it. It's a hefty hunk of stone that's a reddish pink color (which I assume is why it's called the Ruby Stone crystal file) and it works really well. I'd buy it again, especially since it's less than $3 with my Beauty Reward card.
Due to a potentially damaged sample, I had an extra $10 to spend in the Birchbox store. Along with the 20% deal they had before Christmas, I was able to pick up this full sized Dr. Lipp's Nipple Balm for $1.50ish with free shipping! I've heard a lot about this product; it's a 100% pure medical grade lanolin cream and it's supposed to be supper hydrating and safe (it's called Nipple Balm because it was made for nursing mothers). You can use it pretty much anywhere you need hydration, and I need hydration pretty much everywhere.
I took a picture of each side of the box because there's a lot of good info and I thought the drawings were pretty funny.
I don't know why I find these so amusing, but I do.
 Finally, I got some face masks from Walmart. Because face masks are awesome. Walmart isn't, though. I think we were there because my mother-in-law wanted an American flag for her new(ish) house and she found one she had liked there. I didn't know Freeman Beauty made face masks, and these were only $1.40 each! There were a few other kinds, but these two sounded the best. I got a Blue Agave Hydrating mask and a Coffee and Chai eye mask. I haven't seen an eye mask like this one before; it's not just the undereye pads, it's more like a mask a superhero would wear. I haven't tried either of these yet, but I think they'll be pretty good (I like other products from Freeman Beauty).

And...that's everything! Yay! Whew! Sorry this was so long; I really shouldn't let these things pile up. I got a lot of these within a short period of time, though, so I don't think it would have made much sense to split them up. I hope this was somewhat interesting and that it wasn't too long!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment