Friday, October 10, 2014

October 2014 Blush Mystery Beauty Box - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a great day (I feel weird saying that three posts in a row so close together...)! For this post, I want to show you guys what I got in my October 2014 Blush Mystery Beauty Box! This is kind of a special box for me since I decided that this would be the "make-or-break" box; depending on what I think about this box, I'm going to decided whether or not to unsubscribed from the Blush Mystery Beauty Box.

Let's just say things don't start off on the best foot...
It's a bag in a box!
Super-duper quick info on the Blush Mystery Beauty Box: It's a $24.95 a month subscription (shipping included, though I do pay tax on it so it's around $26ish) that has $100+ worth of beauty products from Blush.com, HairEnvy.com, and DermStore.com. It's more of a skin care/hair care type box than a makeup/color cosmetics box so if you're not interested in those types of products, I'd suggest looking at a different subscription. You can also purchase boxes individually for $34.95 a month, which can still be a good deal, especially if you're interested in purchasing the "Featured Item" for the month and it's value is close to/over the cost of the box.
Because your subscription box counts as an order from Blush.com, you also get two free samples (though I occasionally get three). I'm pretty sure these are totally random since all the videos I've watched of other Blush Mystery Beauty Box unboxings have had a wide variety of samples. I got a sample of the Klorane Mango Butter shampoo, which is neat, and another sample of Cotz Face Sunscreen, which I am pretty much over.
Every month, Blush has a "Featured Product" which they reveal on/around the 1st in a short information video and a sidebar on the website. These used to be curated by different types of people (plastic surgeons, makeup artists, etc), but lately they've just been demoed by the Blush representative-people (I don't know exactly what to call them, but they're in all the other videos as hostesses). I'm usually really excited to see what the featured product is, but this month was definitely a disappointment. Not that the product is bad; in fact, I actually really like this product, but I know that I really like it because we've gotten it, in full size, before. It's the Glytone Hydrating Eye Cream.
This eye cream has good ingredients, and it's medical grade so it's heavy duty, but I really don't like the fact that Blush has given this to us in a box before (at least, I'm 99% sure it was from Blush. I'm 100% sure I've tried it before, though). I'm subscribed to these types of boxes because a. I love surprises, b. I love getting things for cheap, and c. I love trying new things. This really only falls under the "b" category, which I shouldn't complain too much about since this is a full size product and it's worth $38 and I only paid $24.95 for this box and got more stuff on top of that...but. Yeah. Now I feel bad for complaining so much! This is a good product, and if you haven't gotten it before it's something to be excited about, but for me it's kind of...old news.
Along with the featured product (which itself is worth more than what I paid for the box; it's even worth more than if you bought the box at the one-time price of $34,95, so if you're interested in trying the eye cream, I say get the whole box), there were four other products in this month's box.
Going in the order of the card, the next product I got was a Cargo BeachBlush in the color Cable Beach.
I just Googled "Cable Beach" since I had never heard of it before and it's apparently in Australia and it looks beautiful. Fun fact: I've never seen the ocean before, though I really, really want to one day. Everyone got the same color in their boxes (it's described as a "warm, rosy" kind of color) though there are a few different color options if you were to purchase it.
It's a mixture of blush and bronzer, so it's kind of like a 1-step cheek product. There are four different colors (it's harder to see the difference between the two lightest shades in real life) and you swirl them all together. You could use them individually, but after one swirl-through, mine are pretty mixed together.
It's definitely a warm, rosy, almost brick kind of color. I was hoping Blush had picked a shade that would work well with most skintones, but I think this color might actually be kind of tricky to use. I'll have to play with it and see. This is the full size of this product and it's worth $30.
Next up is the Klorane Shampoo with Desert Date. I love Klorane products; I have yet to try one that I don't like and their dry shampoo with oat milk is the best dry shampoo I've ever used. By far. I was introduced to Klorane through my subscription services and I quite pleased to find another of their products in my box. This shampoo is for dry and damaged hair, which means it will work for pretty much everybody. It says it cleanses without stripping your hair, but it does have SLS in it so if you're trying to avoid sulfates, this isn't the shampoo you're looking for. I love how the desert date products smell; it's not quite fruity, but it smells warm and spicy. This is another full sized product and it's worth $15.
The only deluxe sample size in this month's box, this is the StriVectin-AR Advanced Retinol Night Treatment (is this sentence grammatically correct? I honestly have no clue!). I was pretty excited to get this product; I've been interested in trying retinol products because it's basically the magic skincare ingredient. It's about the only thing we've found so far that will actually make your skin behave like it's younger and not just "visibly reduce the appearance" of things. This is a nighttime use product because retinol can be very irritating; it also has shea butter and niacin to hydrate and plump and jojoba esters, olive oil, and aloe juice to help minimize irritation. I've tried quite a few StriVectin products and I've always been pleased with the results. Unfortunately, good skincare comes with a high price tag: the full size of this product is 1.7fl oz and sells for $109, making this 0.25fl oz sample worth $16.
And, finally, the most disappointing product in my box. Again, this isn't a bad product or anything; I'm just over dry shampoo and I barely even use the ones I have! This is a travel-size canister of the Batiste Dry Shampoo in the Original scent/formula. One thing I do like about receiving this product is that I've never tried Batiste before (I also just noticed that Firefox isn't identifying "Batiste" as a misspelled word...) and that, out of drugstore dry shampoos, it's probably the most well-known and well-loved. The full size of this product is 6.73fl oz for $7.99, but you can buy this 1.6fl oz travel size for $3.99.

Overall, I got five products in my October Blush Mystery Beauty Box. Three were full sized, one was travel sized, and one was a deluxe sample size. The total product value was $103, so Blush fulfilled their "$100+ value" promise!

UPDATE: I did end up unsubscribing from my Blush Mystery Beauty Box. You do have to call and talk to a person to unsubscribe, but they were very nice about it and the only question they asked (besides the ones needed to pull up my account) was why I was unsubscribing. Which I was totally awkward about, but what can you do? They said I was unsubscribed and good to go, though I am a little anxious about it because there's no way to check for sure (at least from what I can see) online and I did not receive an e-mail or anything confirm my cancellation. I'll have to check back and see come November 1st if I get charged for the November box or not. I'm not a fan of playing the waiting game and, if I get antsy enough, I might e-mail them or something to double-check and make sure.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment