Saturday, September 20, 2014

September 2014 Ipsy Bag! - Unbagging and Review!

Hello! Hope you're having a good Saturday! The weather has been really weird today; it was warm and sunny this morning/early afternoon, then it stormed, now it's that weird twilight-but-with-sun. So it goes with fall and season transitions. I don't like transitions very much.

So let's talk about positive things! Like getting fun things in the mail! I love subscription services, especially when what you get is a surprise, especially especially when said mystery subscription (at least, it's a mystery if you don't spoil it for yourself) is just $10 a month, shipping included.

I'm talking about my Ipsy subscription! This is probably one of the most well-known beauty subscription services (I would argue that Birchbox is the best known beauty subscriptions) and for good reason. I got my September 2014 bag and, overall, it was pretty neat.
Who wouldn't be excited to get a shiny pink bubble mailer?
For the September 2014 bag, Ipsy went with the theme "Street Style". Like most other subscription services, the actual products you get are pretty loosely (if at all) based on the theme, though the makeup bag you get with Ipsy is generally on point.
Street Style! Fashion has been all about "street style" lately, though American street style tends to be kind of boring and pretty conformist. In a general sense; there are people who dress very uniquely and individually, but most people, even while tapping into their own sense of style, wear a lot of the same things. I don't think I'm explaining things correctly, but if you go people-watching and pay attention to clothing, you'll see what I mean.
On the back there are a few more pictures and then Ipsy is doing the "post your stuff to social media and you could win a free Ipsy subscription!" promo again. Which I did. Because I like free things.
Here's the September bag! It's satin-finish silver faux-leather square bag with silver studs. If I didn't know the theme of this months bag, I could probably guess it (or come very close). I surprisingly like this bag, even though I'm not a fan of studs in general. Maybe my tastes will change...
Since I'm going in the order of the items in my Glam Room (the magical place that shows the products you got and then teases you by also showing you the products you didn't get. Jerks) because that's the order I wrote my info down, I'm starting with the Alterna Hair Care Caviar CC Cream 10-in-1 Leave In Hair Perfector. Yay excessive names! I actually really like this product; I've used a good handful of products from the Alterna hair line, including this one, and been satisfied with their performance. I might not pay the full price for this product since I'm still in love with my It's A 10! and they are basically the same product. The ten benefits this product is supposed to provide are: moisture, shine, smoothness, softness, UV protection, manageability, strength, anti-breakage, heat protection, and light hold. The only reason why I was disappointed in this product was because I've gotten this same exact sample before and one of the reasons why I subscribe to beauty mystery boxes is to try new things. The full size is 2.5oz for $25, so this 0.85oz sample is worth $8.50.
I think this is the first brush I've gotten from Ipsy! Which makes sense because I think I have "beauty tools" near the bottom of the things I like list, but that's more because I want other things more, not that I necessarily want brushes less. Also, I don't want to get stuff like eyelash curlers (I think they had one of those in a bag once. Maybe). This is the Crown Brush Infinity Shadow/Crease Duet brush! It's a synthetic fiber brush and it's surprisingly soft. It's a lot softer than my e.l.f. brushes, it's softer than some of my Sephora brushes, and it's even softer than some of my Real Techniques brushes. For being a "budget" level brush, this is really nice! I haven't washed it yet, so I don't know if it's going to shed like crazy, but for now I'm very pleased with it. Some people didn't like the fact that it's dual-ended since it can make it difficult to store (most people store their brushes standing up in cups and, if you stand a dual-ended brush up, you'll ruin one end of it), and yeah, it will be tricky to find a good place to keep this, but there are special plastic tube things you can get to put over one end of a dual ended brush that will let you store it with your other brushes. This brush is worth $6.99. Which I would totally pay for this brush!
Next up is a NYX Hot Singles Eye Shadow in the color Addiction! If you got this product, you would have gotten one of ten shades (is it random what color you get, or is it based on what else is in your bag? I never thought about that before...). Most of the shades this month were dark and fall-ish with a few neutrals thrown in. I'm really happy with the color I got; Addiction is a deep burgundy color with shimmer.
Hmm...it looks really matte in my swatch (at least on my monitor) but it really is more of a satin finish. I have a few other Hot Singles Eye Shadows, and I find they can be hit or miss, depending on the finish. Then again, I really don't like matte shadows, even from higher-end brands. This is a full size and is worth $4.50.
This is a deluxe sample-sized Pacifica Natural Water-Proof Eye Pencil in the color Gun Metal. There were two colors available in this months bag, Gun Metal, which is a dark silver or Fringe, which is a brown.
While I think I would have gotten more use out of Fringe, I do like that this is not a glittery silver liner; I have a couple other silver liners that I've gotten from subscription boxes and they're all more of a bright silver and are full of glitter. While this has shimmer, it's very fine and I like that it really is more of a "gun metal" than a silver.  It says this is a water-proof pencil, which means it might be good for the waterline, but I haven't tested out that claim. It is also formulated without animal ingredients (so it's vegan), it's cruelty-free, there are no FD&C colors (so no artificial dyes?), no mineral oil, it's paraben-free, phthalate-free, petroleum-free, propylene glycol-free, SLS-free, gluten-free, and peanut oil-free. So it's basically made of magic and hope. I do really like Pacifica's body care products, but I'm still on the fence about their makeup. The only other makeup I've tried from them was the eye shadow duo we got from Ipsy a while back and...yeah. It really wasn't great. A full sized pencil is $11, so this 1/2-1/3ish sample is worth about $4.
Finally we come to the most disappointing product in this months bag: the Cailyn Art Touch Tinted Lip Gloss in the color Basic Instinct. If you received this product in you bag, you would have gotten one of two colors, this one which is a pinky-nude and quite pretty or Love Affair, which is a red. I'm happy with the color I got, but overall I'm not happy with the quality of this product. Cailyn is a brand I've only ever gotten products from through subscription services and I'm not sure if I'm a fan. This is actually a nice product as far as I can tell, but I've only swatched it on my hand.
Not sure if it shows up well in this swatch, but I think there is something wrong with my lip gloss. There are a bunch of little black and blue dots in it, along with streaks of orange. I think it might not be mixed properly and the dots are blended pigments, but I'm also worried that it was contaminated and the spots are mold or something. I would have liked to have tried this product, but due to safety concerns, I'm just going to throw it away. This is a full size gloss and it's worth $19, which is almost twice what I paid for my bag. Which makes me even more sad that there's something wrong with it.

So overall, I got five products in my September 2014 Ipsy bag: three of them are full size and two are sample sizes. Pretty good! The value of my bag was a whopping $43, which is awesome! Unfortunately, minus the value of the lip gloss which I am going to straight up just toss, my bag is only worth $24, but that's still more than double what I paid for my bag. If someone told me I could buy a bundled set of the Crown brush, NYX shadow, and Alterna CC cream for $10, I would think I was getting a great deal, so I'm not too disappointed. Ipsy is my favorite subscription service (at least out of the ones I've tried) and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a cheap, monthly beauty thrill.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment