Friday, August 8, 2014

Urband Decay Ammo Palette - First Impressions and Swatches!

Hello! Again, as I promised in my last haul, I have another product I wanted to do a more in-depth review/first impressions/swatch post on! This time it is, as the title suggests, the Urban Decay Ammo palette!
Reusing pictures!
So! I picked up this palette from Ulta for $34 (well, less than that since I had a 20% off coupon, which is why I bought it in the first place!). This is the newer version of this palette; there is an older version which has a gun on the cover, hence why this is called the "Ammo palette". Not sure why they changed the design, I thought maybe it was because they didn't like the suggestion of a fired gun, but there are guns and knives and chains in the skull (there are also animals and other cool things; it's a neat design) so maybe they just wanted a way to differentiate the new version from the old. To the best of my knowledge, this palette includes the same colors as the original version but in the reformulated, uh, formulas.

These are supposed to be Urban Decay's top ten best selling eyeshadows, though I'm not sure if that's still true since, again, this is the newer version of a pretty old palette. The color selection is really interesting, which is one of the things that drew me to this palette over, say the Naked palette, which I was also contemplating picking up. This palette also comes with a deluxe sample of the Primer Potion and a little eyeshadow brush (I think the original version had a pencil instead of the brush).
This is your standard deluxe sample of Primer Potion and this is in the Original formula/color. Honestly, I don't I've used Urban Decay's Primer Potion for over a year now...weird.
Here's another shot of the palette without all the plastic bits. It's a nice compact palette; it's made out of heavy cardboard and the lip has a strong magnet. I think this would be a good palette for travel and could probably take some abuse.
Here it is opened! I love the packaging of this palette; it's just so different from everything else I have.
Here's a close-up of the shadows; left to right top to bottom you get: Smog (a "deep, coppery bronze", this is also in the Naked palette), Mildew (a "mossy green shimmer with gold shift"), Oil Slick ("matte black with silver micro-glitter"), Last Call ("metallic sugar plum", interesting description), Chopper ("copper shimmer with silver micro-glitter", this is in Naked2 so I do already have this shade), Maui Wowie ("metallic golden beige with silver glitter", this is the most interesting color), Shattered (a "turquoise with gold shift"), Polyester Bride ("white snow with silver micro-glitter"), Grifter ("sheer lavender with silver micro-glitter"), and Sin (a champagne color, also in the Naked palette).
And here they are swatched on my arm, no primer, in the same order. As you can see, the darker, more pigmented colors are on the left (thus, the top row), while the more sheer colors are on the right (bottom row). It makes it feel like the top of the palette is more for smokey, intense eye looks while the bottom is for softer, more daytime looks. While there is a lot of color in this palette, there are also enough neutrals to make a handful of different eye looks so it really is a versatile palette. I love Shattered and Grifter for their color, and Maui Wowie is such an interesting shade; I don't think I have anything like it! The only shadow I was disappointed in was Oil Slick; even though it's the new formula, it's still a glitterbomb and I have better black shadows in my collection.

Overall, I really like this palette! It's small and compact, but it has a great variety of colors! There are no mattes in this palette, only shimmers and glitters, so if you like mattes, I'd look at the Naked Basics palette. This is $34 and is available from many places including Sephora, Ulta, and Urban Decay, and I know you can find this on sale very now and again. If you do, and you're interested in giving the ten best selling eyeshadow colors from Urban Decay a try, I say get it!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment