Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Sephora VIB Rouge Party Haul! - Plus Ulta, Target, Sally Beauty Supply, and More!

Hello! I love parties; well, that's not entirely true, I don't like parties that have me as the center of attention because, well, I really hate being the center of attention. Weird, I know. I felt so awkward at my wedding; the photographer kept asking me to pose and was taking pictures and I was like, don't you have other things to be taking pictures of? Two years and a couple months later my husband and I still haven't looked at our wedding photos (we both think we look awkward in pictures) so...there you go.

But! Parties! For VIB Rouges! Because we spend so much money. It feels good to be recognized, even if it's for a sad, shallow reason. This is the second Sephora party I've been to and it was just as fun as the first one! This time they had reps from Tarte and Dior (and one other brand which I think was Benefit but I can't remember) and while there wasn't a discount (last time it was during "Chic Week" and we had 20% off ALL THE THINGS) there was 4x bonus points for Rouges. Nice. I hung out, ate some free snacks, played with some makeup, and bought some things. Which I'll show you! I also bought some things from other stores, so I'll show those to you, too!
We got a neat tote! I like this tote; the plain black and white striped ones are nice, but I like how this one announces to world that "I SPEND MY MONEY FOOLISHLY".
One of the perks of going to the party was that you got a bag of samples with any $35+ purchase! I went in with the intention of just buying approximately $35 worth of stuff, but the longer I stayed and shopped, the more I put in my basket.
These are the samples we got! They did release this bag online to VIBs/VIB Rouges with a $35+ purchase, though I don't know if it's still available. A pretty good selection of samples, though the MUFE basically foil packet sample of blush is kind of lame, everything else is decently sized and there's only one fragrance!
 They also threw in a few extra free goodies! Unfortunately, I already got the VIB Buxom set and we all know the very last thing I need is more lip products (actually, the last thing I need is another eyeshadow palette) so I gave this to my mom. Even though I already have a pretty big sample of the Caudalie Polyphenol serum, I'm impressed that they took the effort to make a tube this tiny!

As I said, I went to the party with the intention of making a purchase as close as possible to the $35 to get the sample bag and I really only intended to get one item: a foundation. But then I bought more!
 I really want a gold eyeliner since I think it would be cool to wear it on my lower lashline, especially with a golden/bronze look, but I didn't really want to spend too much since I wasn't sure how often I would use it. I like the Sephora Nano eyeliners because they're small and they're only $5, but the color selection can leave something to be desired, and this was the closest to could get to a gold color. I thought about getting the Urban Decay 24/7 gold liner, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the $20. This is will probably be more useful than a straight up gold since it's more of a deep bronze.
I also found some brushes on sale! I thought the travel tin was cute and I'm always looking for more brushes (...I feel like I never have enough. Until I wash them. Then I have too many). $11 for five travel size eye brushes? Works for me!
And then when I was standing in line I decided to grab this LaVanila Healthy Deodorant in straight up vanilla! I've been curious about trying a "healthy" deodorant; I haven't been having much luck with regular deodorant scent-wise; they all seem to either be way too powerful or they kind of turn sour with my body chemistry. While this is just a deodorant and not an antiperspirant, I don't really have issues with actually sweating just with, well, smelling funny. I guess. At least to myself. Other people assure me it's not weird and they're my co-workers and are usually brutally honest with me. I like the scent of vanilla!
And this is what I intended to pick up in the first place! I love my Estee Lauder Double Wear, but I feel like I need something with even more coverage. Which is kind of ridiculous and somewhat difficult to find. I also want a foundation that is transfer resistant because it annoys the crap out of me when I get makeup on my clothes. I went with the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation since it promises long, transfer-resistant wear and just the most coverage.
 Wow, this is a big picture. I color matched myself since everyone was so busy and I didn't really feel like waiting, and after comparing swatches, I went with Light 48. It's more on the neutral/beige side but the more gold/yellow foundations were either a smidge too light or a smidge too dark.
 Here's a blob on my arm and then the blob blended out a bit. It doesn't match my arm exactly, but it's pretty dang close to matching my face. I've used this a few times now and I really do like it! With my beautyblender it gives great coverage, but it doesn't look too cakey or mask-like. You can get even fuller coverage with a brush, but that might be a little too much. This is definitely a foundation for combination/oily skin. It dries matte and it makes my face feel kind of tight at first, so if you have dry skin, this will probably exacerbate it. If you're looking for a foundation with lots of coverage and long wear that works with oily skin, I'd give this one a try.
And then I got some things online! I wanted to take advantage of the 4x points and I wanted to get a couple 100-point rewards. I'm still not sure if you actually need to make a purchase to get point rewards, but I feel better about it. I guess. I just want an excuse to keep buying things.
Samples! It's seriously getting to the point where I have all the samples ever. I've started using them and I'm having lots of fun trying new things!
One of the things that stops me from wearing makeup everyday, besides not wanting to wake up early enough to apply it, is how irritating it is to take off at night. I want to try out different makeup removers to see which are most effective (spoiler: oils are the best) so I picked up this little travel size of the MUFE Sens'Eyes remover. It was $10, worth 40 points...works for me!
One of the 100-point rewards I wanted was a mini Sephora Rouge Infusion lip stain in the color Red Essence! I don't have any stains (well, nothing that is intended to stain; some of my OCC Lip Tars do) and since I forget to reapply my lip color throughout the day, I thought this would be a good product to try. It really does stain, too! I only had it on my hand for 30 seconds and it left a stain I couldn't wash off.
 And then this was the 100-point reward I was the most excited for! Ever since I got my Siren eyeshadow palette by Marc Jacobs, I've been curious about trying the whole line! This is a mini Highliner Gel Eyeliner in the color Brown(Out).
Oh, shiny!
Oh man it's so pretty! It glides on perfectly and it's just...gorgeous. I want to go and play around and swatch all the others and...maybe even buy one. I love the texture and the richness and...beautiful.

And...then I bought some stuff from an actual Sephora store! Technically, a Sephora in JCP store since they have really good sales and I love popping in there and checking out the nail polish selection (they always have Formula X polishes on sale). They had some of the Sephora in JCP exclusive Summer Stashes on sale for $25 so...if you're interested in that, go check it out.
 They had some of the "Shifters" on sale for $6! I got Heroic because I loved the lavender/gold shift...
 And Legend. Because shiny. Also this polish looks very similar to a polish that Zoya is releasing for Fall so I get the feeling this is going to be an on-trend polish.
Here they are swatched! Left is Heroic and right is Legend. Legend looks a lot like my Ciara polish from Julep and Heroic ended up being a little more gold and little more sheer than I expected.
I also grabbed this Sephora Super Nourishing Lip Balm for $5! I thought about getting it with an online order; it has pretty good reviews and people are generally pleased with it, especially for being a $5 lip balm. It smells kind of like cake to me and it feels really nice when you first apply it, but it doesn't seem to stick around as long as, say, my Jack Black lip balms.

Now for some random things I got from random places. From Sally Beauty Supply I got...
 This Finger Paints nail polish in My Art Belongs To You. This was on sale for $1.49 and I thought it looked pretty.
I'm...not sure how I feel about Finger Paints polishes. They're kind of middle of the road quality-wise and I would much prefer to use my Zoya or OPI polishes. For my Formula Xs. This is a nice, bubble-gum pink with a blue shimmer.
 And then I got one of the new Nordic collection polishes from OPI! This is the only one in the collection that I really want, and I'm so happy I got it. There was a lady who wanted to buy the whole collection and I was able to snag this before she got it.
Such a gorgeous green-blue color! This really feels like a Fall color so I feel weird wearing it now, but come cooler weather this will be all over my nails.
And then I got some tea tree oil because it's magical and can help with lots of skin issues. It can be harmful, though, especially if you eat it (seriously, do not ingest tea tree oil. That's bad news bears), so you have to be careful and use very little. I'm sure you can get this cheaper online or from a co-op or something, but Sally's is super close to where I live so I don't mind paying a "convenience" tax.

I also got some neat stuff from Target! Target is really stepping up its beauty game and they always have some pretty awesome stuff on sale.
Like OPI nail polish! For less than $3! They had a few other colors, but I was good and only picked up one.
 I got "Hands Off My Kielbasa!" because the name is amusing and I like the golden, peachy nude shimmer color.
Another good Fall color!
 They also had these Color Foil polishes on sale! These went on sale really fast; I remember them just being released! They had a few other colors, but this was the last color left after they dropped the price again (I hold out for the 70%+ off...).
It's called "Minted Metal" and it's really just a pretty minty chrome. I don't really like chrome finish polishes since they tend to show brush strokes, but I love the green.
I also got this CoverGirl FlamedOut shadow stick in I think "Gold Flamed". Or something like that. The color names are on the wrapper, which is kind of stupid. This was on sale for half off and I thought it would work great as a gold liner.
But it's pretty much crap. It's super sheer, has very little color payoff, and it just...no. I wouldn't recommend this, even at half off.

Since I had some points built up, I bought some things from Ulta!
 I went in with the intention of buying this polish and a couple of eyeshadow palettes from Essence (the new six pans). I love Zoya's Magical Pixie Dusts and I had a hard time deciding between this one, Arlo, or the pink one, Ginni. I went with Arlo because I already have two holographic pinkish polishes (Fine Like Einstein by Formula X and Lux from Zoya). I love the holographic glitter and the textured finish, though no matter how hard I try this color purple doesn't look good with my skin tone.
...this was kind of an impulse buy. Every now and then I'll pick this up and contemplate buying it, but it's kind of expensive for what it is and I put it back. Not this time! This is OPI's Correct and Clean Up pen and it's bascially a refillable felt-tip pen you use to clean up your nails after polish application. I know a lot of professionals use angled eyeliner brushes dipped in nail polish remover, but I just can't get the technique down. I'm hoping this will be easier for me to use and will help me have nice, professionally polished looking nails!
 And...again, another impulse buy. I ended up not getting the eyeshadows. Apparently, they come unsealed, which in itself is kind of gross, and my Ulta only had a few left and they all looked like people had stuck their fingers in them. I'm going to wait and order them online to (hopefully) guarantee that they haven't been used.
This kit was on sale for $12ish and I kind of waffled back and forth on whether or not I should get it. I already have a lot of hand creams, but I've tried the hand cream and foot cream before and really liked them. I'm also curious about the scent; it says it's uplifting, which is what I need. I took the plunge because SALE PRICED and I even got a GWP!
Another little tube of hand cream and a bottle of body lotion! In a cute bag!
Check out this stuff I got at Bath and Body Works! Who needs transitions? Not this blog! I grabbed a Mr. Fox PocketBac because it's apparently Sugar Maple scented and I had a coupon for a free signature collection mini. I went with Twilight Woods because I've never really smelled it before and I've heard people say it's a comforting smell. It does smell nice at first, but after a while it starts to smell really off and plasticky on me.
 Here are some random tank tops I got from H&M! 2 for $10! I got a black one because I need more black tank tops (I only have one, but like six thousand white ones...) and a mint tank because I like mint. I like H&M tanks over Forever21 since they feel more sturdy.
 Finally, my mom sent me these nail stamping plates! I was talking to her about my "discovery" of nail stamping and she said that she had bought my sister and some of our cousins (I wasn't into nail polish way back then) some nail stamping sets and that we might still have them laying around the house.
Imagine my surprise when some of the plates are Konad brand! I was initially skeptical that these were the real deal, but my mom found other nail supplies and it's all Konad brand and she said it was all kind of expensive, so I guess I have old school Konad nail stamping plates now.

AND THAT'S EVERYTHING. I thought this haul would be pretty short since it started out just being the Sephora VIB Rouge party things but, you know how it is. It all snowballs. Anyways! If you read this all, you are awesome and I really appreciate it!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment