Sunday, August 17, 2014

Julep - 100 Degrees of Mystery Box - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! Hope you guys had a great weekend! I'm actually not feeling well, which is unfortunate since I have work bright and early tomorrow...we'll see how this turns out.

For this post I want to show you guys what I got in my Julep 100 Degrees of Mystery box! I have...mixed feelings about Julep mystery boxes, but since I skipped my August box and some kind soul used my Julep referral link so I had $15 to spend, I decided to go for it.

How did it turn out?
Back to the old cardboard boxes; I liked the special, fancy ones from the last box!
Right from the start, I wasn't lucky enough to get one of the $100 gift cards and extra add-on thing. Sad. Just once I'd like to win one of the special, random extras. So it goes.
Very interesting; somewhat disappointing on first impression. I'll start with the non-polish products!
I got a nail mask! Apparently, this is the most popular part of the mask trio, and since, to the best of my knowledge, you can't yet buy these individually, I'm happy to get one (...even though I have yet to use my other one that came in my trio). They kind of shoved this into the box so it got all beat up, which is kind of lame.
I also got a Blank Canvas Mattifying Eyeshadow primer. I have so many eye primers, and I love my MAC Painterly Paint Pot, so this isn't really useful to me at all.
It does seem like it would be a nice primer; it has an opaque, somewhat yellow tone, so it would be good at covering any discoloration and creating a nice, even surface for shadow application. I just don't need it! This is going to my mom.
The other non-polish I got was a lip gloss. Again, I really don't need any more lip glosses for basically ever (not true: I will get more because Sephora will come out with Sephora Favorites sets for the holidays and I will buy them and they will have lip glosses in them), but at lease this is in a color that's underrepresented in my collection.
Posh! It's described as a "sheer black honey" which is clearly playing off the popularity of Clinique's Black Honey. It's like a darkened burgundy/plum color. It's quite pretty and would be a great color for Fall. I'd be happy with this except...
I arrived broken! When I first opened the box, there was some goo around the cap and I immediate knew something was wrong. It looks like the neck part (with the threading that screws the cap on and off) broke off completely, meaning the gloss can't close and there's nothing to clean the wand off so it's incredibly gloopy. I e-mailed Julep, including pictures, but I haven't heard anything back yet (though the e-mail I got to let me know they received my e-mail (yay, e-mail tag!) said that they had a large volume of inquires to get through so it might take a little longer than usual); I hope they'll be able to send me a replacement.

Polish time! I got four polishes in this box and...only one is even somewhat recent. Which is disappointing and not expected; one of the reasons why I wanted to try another mystery box was that Julep has said that they would be including more recent polishes in their mystery boxes. Which...is not true I guess.
This is the thing that I got the most excited about in my box! This is Max; it's a black and white graffiti top coat. Julep came out with this awhile ago for...a special reason I can't remember (it was a mystery box or gift with purchase or something) and I really liked it, but I just didn't want to pay for it. I've been into these types of graffiti top coats, fueled by sale Formula X for Sephora polishes, and since I have nothing like this, I'm happy to add it to my collection.

Then things get kind of...old. One thing I will say is that I previously owned nothing in this box (there's a better way to say that, but I don't feel good and can't think well) so that's definitely something.
This is Gloria! ...it's so old, I can't find it on the website. And there's no date on the label. Neat. I'm pretty sure I don't have this polish, but the color is very similar to another polish (or 6; I have way too many) I have. It's kind of like a melon pinky color, but it is pretty.
 Again, I can't find this polish on the website so...yeah. This is Lynn! No date on the label, and it's "American Beauty", which hasn't been around for a long time now. This is like a shimmery, shell pink and I think it goes well with Gloria.
 Okay, I've tried like six thousand times to get this formatted correctly and it won't do it so I'm just going to leave it like this and hope it's not too off-putting. This polish is old. The three other polishes I got were in boxes, which have been the norm for a long time now (I think they introduced them about a year ago) but this polish was still in the old, plastic shrink wrap packaging. There's not style profile on the label, either, so I'm not sure if this existed before that system was in place or...what that means exactly. It's still on the website though, unlike the other two old timey polishes! It's alaso apparently from the Boho Glam profile and is a "smoky burnt umber metallic" which is pretty accurate, though it's more orange than umber to me. Again, it goes well with the other polishes in this box and I feel like the color selection as whole fits with a "100 Degrees" end of summer/early Fall mystery box.
Here they are swatched; left to right is Max, Gloria, Lynn, and Zoe (did that go in the order I talked about them? I didn't even try!).

And that was my 100 Degrees of Mystery box! I'm pretty on the fence about it; I wanted more from it and maybe I expected too much. This is a $24.99 box; though I got mine for $9.99 since I had a $15 credit. Like I said, I do really like the color selection and I think it was very appropriate. I am sad that one of my products arrived broken, but I'm hoping that Julep will get in contact with me soon about it.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment